acapella

Continuous Vs Discrete Meditation

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

In your opinion, what's more effective. 30 minutes of continuous meditation once a day versus 10 minutes of meditation at various points in the day? 

if you have daily work, I recommend 30 mins/day:)

4 hours ago, 30secs said:

if you have daily work, I recommend 30 mins/day:)

But he asked if its better 30 at once or 10+10+10, which is also 30 

🌟

🌟  The  🌟 Logos 🌟

🌟

It depends. I have found that the effects of a long session of meditation wear off after some time and the day is long.

I do both. I meditate during the day for like10-30 minutes whenever I feel I have to clear my mind. Shorter meditation sessions are more for when you need them. When you get stuck at work. When your boss just had a fit. After a strenuous meeting etc. My short meditation sessions are never planned. 

Longer meditation sessions are better for going deep or gaining new insights. 

30 minutes definitely. Maybe you have more instant effects like feeling more relaxed throughout the day doing 3x 10 minutes per day but doing one 30 minutes session will purge more shit out of your system. Duration really kicks it hard.

Think about a more drastic scenario: What is more effective in realizing your true nature - sitting for 8 hours or sitting for 8 days one hour per day. I think you know the answer.

Edited by Arik

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

IMHO 10 minutes is not enough for any kind of meditation. At first I thought that 20 minutes is ok, but after I got some initial experience in meditation, I understood that 30 minutes a day is the minimum requirenment.

However, I think that 10-20 minutes is ok for a beginner to build a habit of meditation and discipline.

4 minutes ago, Naviy said:

IMHO 10 minutes is not enough for any kind of meditation. At first I thought that 20 minutes is ok, but after I got some initial experience in meditation, I understood that 30 minutes a day is the minimum requirenment.

However, I think that 10-20 minutes is ok for a beginner to build a habit of meditation and discipline.

This. Ten minutes really isn't enough to get any real benefits from a meditation practice, but everyone has to start somewhere and build the habit up.

I do a quick 10 minute meditation throughout the day when I feel myself losing center, but it doesn't compare at all to the 40 minute or 1 hour sessions. I am finding the deepest stuff is happening the last 20 minutes of a long meditation. Especially when those last 20 minutes start getting hard, staying with it, allowing the hardness of it, is 'training' me how to allow whatever is. Someone described it as digging a hole - when you dig for 10 minutes how deep do you get? If you dig for an hour...