Zigzag Idiot

Zigzag Idiot and the ladder of Objective Reason

1,792 posts in this topic

Some Maurice Nicoll that applies to projection.

Thinking the other person should be different

Now if you start by trying to externally consider another person from the basis of internal considering, from the basis of thinking the other person should be different, your external considering will be nothing but internal considering. You are making no attempt to start from the right basis of external considering, which is putting yourself in the other person's situation. On the contrary, you are starting from your own situation, not from the other person's. And in comparison with the real external considering, this is nothing but a form of hypocrisy and you will probably end only by shrugging your shoulders and saying: "Well, I have done my best for this person and I cannot do more." So you will wash your hands of him or her in your own feelings of merit and virtue. But I assure you that external considering in the Work-sense is nothing like that.

Take an ordinary mechanical individual--that is, an ordinary person. They are full of buffers, prejudices, negative attitudes, pictures of themselves, vanity, typical gramophone records, and so on. Suppose they attempt, as they are, to externally consider, really to put themselves in another person's life, into their situation, into their mind. Do you think they will be able to do so? Of course not. They do not see themselves. So how can they see the other person?

And if they do not see the other person, how can they put themselves in the other person's position? That is why it is said that before you can begin to externally consider in a real way, you must have reached some degree of self-observation and it is only according to your degree of self-observation and self-knowledge that you can externally consider another person.

Seeing yourself

In so far as you know yourself, you will know aright the other person: in so far as you can see yourself you can see others aright. Do you know, each one of you here now, how tiresome, how difficult, how unpleasant, how prejudiced, how exacting, you can be? Have you noticed it? If so, then you are in a better position to externally consider other people, for when you see their faults you will also see your own faults.

But as we are made, looking out from our senses, and not looking in at ourselves, we only see other people's faults and to balance the account takes a lifetime of work and insight. We all have pictures of ourselves; we are all, in one way or another, smug. Let me give you the dictionary definition of smug. The word is derived from a German word meaning to dress up; smock, smuggle, and so: "to be scrupulous in keeping up the appearance of respectability, to be absurdly self-satisfied and complacent."

One thing is quite certain, and that is that the more sincerely we observe ourselves and what is in us, the less smug we shall be. And from this it follows that we shall be less satisfied to think that we know what the other person should be like. So we shall judge less and in consequence be able to put ourselves in another person's position more easily.

You will remember the two examples of praying in the Gospels--the man who prayed thanking God he was not as other men, and the man who beat his breast and said he was a sinner. Which of these two men do you think would best be able to externally consider? And which of those two men would you rather be judged by?

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

In a way, I'm all over the map with what I write in this journal. Much of it tends to be 'off the wall'. Sometimes  goofy and at other times too emotional. 

I often condense entries into my journal to the point that my persona is often eclipsed. If that makes any sense. I'm a quiet person. An introvert for sure but find a certain fulfillment expressing specific inward perspectives. I realize in hindsight that this presents or displays a quirkiness that contradicts my known personality.

The speed with which feelings arrive and which produce emotions at times ,,,, It often takes me by surprise. But take music for instance,,, with regard to the feelings and emotions which show up ,,, and intensely! In observing myself a few days ago, a strong emotion arose within me instantaneously with a felt sensation in the area of the heart, eyes and frontal lobes of the brain. It was a sensation that was familiar to me.

I'm a lot more stable emotionally than I was 20 years ago. I still experience powerfully felt feelings and emotions but it seems that with age there is a natural decline in being completely swept away from overwhelming emotions. Still, observing myself at times, there's no doubt I can act like a son of a bitch or at other times get nostalgic and weepy.

Below is an excerpt from;

https://schoolofwisdomcom.wordpress.com/laws-of-wisdom/laws-of-human-consciousness/

It's a fairly long article. If you read and enjoy the excerpt below. Click on the above link for the whole article.

Left-brain, head-centered, ego-dominated consciousness is human functioning at the lowest level. It is constrained potential equivalent in chemistry to the ground state of the atom where all electrons are in the lowest energy position. To reach awareness and attain mastery you must increase your energy level by tuning into the body, and creating a kinesthetic dream body. The energy body is created by the limbic brain and the right brain of the cortex. It comes from out of chaotic imagination. There are hundreds of methods procedures to do this, to take this second step on the way of Wisdom. For instance, there is the energy work component of PrimaSounds music where the chakras are tuned, strengthen and balanced. This is described in detail in my book Chakra Music (Volume 4 of the School of Wisdom Series).

The bioenergies once created then become a Vehicle of Awareness. The energy body links the conscious ego with the total Self. Then a new “I” linked with All can develop, create and act. The ego is transformed, liberated from petty self centeredness, to concern for humanity as a whole. The meaning of your life then begins to become clear as all sides of the neo-cortex start to work together. As the integration process concludes and the subtle Sybils fade, your special work for all of humanity begins. You begin to see your life in the context of history and a larger Universe. The final transcendental step into the spirit of the times is taken.

This is the path to reality, to fulfillment of our full human potential. You begin as a student from out of the left brain of the neo-cortex, to down below to the body and body awareness. Then the way goes back up again, through the limbic system and back into the right-brain of the neo-cortex Symbols the “far-out” Self, and the development of energy awareness. This Path then leads on to mastery with a fully-developed and balanced brain. We then know who we are, all sides of our self, and we know what to do. As a Master of our Self the process of integration of consciousness can be completed. The big questions of life can be answered and personal fulfillment and enlightenment attained. The Path again moves on. Action in service of the Earth and all of Mankind becomes the focus.

The integration process the Way can thus be seen to travel full circle, but as a spiral. It starts from the little “I”, the disassociated ego in the left brain doing its little business in the world. Then the way goes down to Awareness, back up to the Self in the right brain, then on to true individuality, using the whole brain. The last step is the real Man or Woman the actualized being with an Ego in tune with Self. The Way no longer ends from ego to Self, as in most religions, but travels on to individual fulfillment and mastery/adulthood the big “I” identified with the whole Universe. Our highest potential is no longer sublimation to the infinite and the loss of personal identity. It is affirmation of our unique individuality in tune with the infinite by carrying out our sacred Work.

Thus the end is like the beginning. The realized person has an Ego, but not like the alienated ego he had when the journey began. Now the Ego rests on integrated consciousness and a whole Self. The Ego is in tune with the infinite, with all of the cosmos. The work of the big “I” is not the business of success which preoccupied the little “I” when the journey began. In the next loop of the spiral our Work is completely different. It serves the species, the Earth, all and everything.

Every feeling you have is a legitimate message of sorts. Every feeling you have should be felt fully and not repressed. This doesn't mean you have the right to spew negative word vomit at others. When you can experience something negative and not take it out on others by remaining quiet,,,,, That is called solar coating of the Kesdjan, "astral" or "energy" body. It is an act of conscious suffering, and it is not an easy thing to do.

Emotions are produced in the body by feelings encountering uncontrolled thoughts and unconstrained imagination. Emotions and feelings can vary widely in both substance and intensity. Intuition occurs haphazardly but happens more naturally after emotional purification. There are forces which can block this capacity on occasion. 

Solar coating accumulates in the Astral body which eventually actualizes the potential of the subtle and causal bodies. This makes you paranormal. It is not a quick process.

Lunar coating happens just by life affecting you in the normal way in which you bitch and moan about how awful everything is. This is a form of unnecessary suffering which perpetuates itself. Wisdom accumulates at a dreadfully slow pace with lunar coating. Beings who actualize some of their higher potentials are often not recognized because of other's preconceived notions. It requires solar coating to really get anywhere. 

Make it a practice to genuinely wish all people well and you'll accumulate more force or chi energy.  Even the people who hate you. Try to authentically wish them well. If you can't do that. It's okay.  Now, here's another practice of mine, so take it with a grain of salt. It may not be appropriate for certain types of people. - If you find yourself hating someone then just get it out of your system by absolutely hating the shit out of them. It burns out more quickly by not repressing your hatred. Try your best not to direct your anger at them verbally while in their presence though.

Edited by Zigzag Idiot

Beautifully put ....    

What is Superego?

The superego forms the apex of the psychic structure and includes the ideals of the personality and the principles of judgment. It is the seat of what is customarily called the conscience. It develops mainly by internalizing and identifying with the prohibitions, rules, values, and preferences of the parents and society at large. . . .  

From the Diamond Approach perspective, the superego is the inner coercive agency that stands against the expansion of awareness and inner development, regardless of how mild or reasonable it becomes. It is a substitute, and a cruel one, for direct perception and knowledge. Inner development requires that in time there be no internal coercive agencies. There will be instead inner regulation based on objective perception, understanding, and love.  

The best approach is to decrease the power and influence of the superego and to replace it with awareness as much as possible, all the way to the final and complete dethronement of the superego. 

taken from  https://www.diamondapproach.org/glossary/refinery_phrases/superego

"Hell is only terrible first few days."

That's a quote from Gurdjieff. It was said offhand during his last few years living in his Paris flat. It was heard and written down by John and Elizabeth Bennet who both kept diary's during this time. Years earlier Gurdjieff had spent a lot of time in the Hindu Kush region and Gobi Desert. The experiences he had there in addition to harsh conditions earlier in life were probably inspiration for his pithy quote. 

What is the superego?

It is our inner critic that beats us down with doubt and superficial morals. It keeps one from being an independent thinker.

How do I Work with the Superego?

To work through your superego, you must go all the way down to a pre-verbal, chaotic, hellish, negative merged state. And when you get down to that, you feel lost, you don’t know what is going on, there’s no firm place to stand. There are swamps wherever you turn—up, down, left, right—all swamps. That’s how you experience it; everything is negative. As you experience this fully, without defending against it, certain essential states arise to move you through this negativity and hell.

Diamond Heart Book One, pg. 119

The Apex of the Psychic Structure

The superego is a structure that forms the apex of the psychic structure and includes the ideals of the personality and the principles of judgment. It is the seat of what is customarily called the conscience.

Essence with the Elixir of Enlightenment, pg. 134

The Inner Coercive Agency

From our perspective, the superego is the inner coercive agency that stands against the expansion of awareness and inner development, regardless of how mild or reasonable it becomes. It is a substitute, and a cruel one, for direct perception and knowledge. Inner development requires that, in time, there be no internal coercive agencies. There will be, instead, inner regulation based on objective perception, understanding, and love.

Essence with the Elixir of Enlightenment, pg. 137

Observing one’s own spiritual materialism is mandatory. Be aware that there are successive layers. Attitudes of some form of superiority that encroach into one’s being,,,, Time return to the beginner’s mind of Ordinary Idiot,,,,

We are 3 brained beings.

Many of the esoteric spiritual traditions taught the three realms in terms of each human having three different brains. For instance, the esoteric spiritual philosopher George Gurdjieff, always spoke of Man as a “three-brained being”. There was one brain for the spirit, one for the soul, and one for the body. In some traditions the spirit brain was thought to be the usual brain located in the skull. The soul brain was the heart, and the body brain is somewhere lower, frequently in the sacrum (sacred bone). Along those lines many women today believe that, for men at least, the third brain lies somewhat lower and to the front, with a separate mind of its own.

Taken from https://schoolofwisdomcom.wordpress.com/laws-of-wisdom/laws-of-human-consciousness/

Difficult and convoluted excerpts read from Beelzebub's Tales to his Grandson.

3 brains - 

• Head/intellectual center            
  •     Heart/emotional center               
  •    Belly-Hara/instinctual center

3 categories of food -

• Groceries
  •  Breath
  •  Impressions

FoodEnigma_html_m64753b36.jpg

For a deep dive --https://www.gurdjieff.justwizard.com/FoodEnigma.html

Have   Your BEING.

Have

Fun!

Now               No?

IMG_0115.jpeg

I Had a very rich I-Ching reading today. It was very meaningful for me anyway.

Related phenomena to ponder.

Accidents waiting to happen,,,,

The strange attractor from chaos theory, evolution, involution, creation or manifestation, epigenetics, synchronicity and possibly other specific stuff,,,,

Holy spirit working through human beings/ Diamond guidance as described in the Diamond Approach

Below are quotes from A.H. Almaas

The Essential Nous

I sometimes call the Diamond Guidance the essential nous, the individual soul’s version of the universal nous of the Greeks, as described by Plotinus. In Sanskrit, the essential nous is referred to as prajna, while the discriminating awareness – the universal nous – is called jnana. It is known in both Buddhist and Hindu teachings that you use prajna to arrive at jnana. Prajna is referred as discriminating insight and jnana as inherent knowingness, or discriminating awareness. So Prajna is the recognition of patterns, understanding, insight, realization, while jnana is the inherent self-knowing of pure awareness. Jnana is not the experience of a specific insight or understanding; it is the recognition that all experience is knowledge and that you exist as knowingness, as knowledge.

Spacecruiser Inquiry, pg. 42

The Vehicle that Opens up Our Experience

The Diamond Guidance is the vehicle that opens up our experience, and that opening begins our unfoldment, becomes the unfoldment, and is also an important aspect of the unfoldment. We can see this process, then, as having two sides—opening up and unfoldment. And when we see the complementary nature of this process, we call it “self-revelation.” Here we mean self-revelation in the sense that the soul reveals herself. But self-revelation is actually understanding, because understanding is the disclosing of the truth of what is arising. Thus, the whole process of opening up—which begins the unfoldment, continues as part of the unfoldment, and becomes self-revelation—is what we call understanding. In other words, the opening up, the unfoldment, and the self-revelation together are the understanding. So understanding means both the upwelling of new elements and divulging the significance of these elements. When the Diamond Guidance is operating without restrictions, understanding is the arising of new elements inseparable from the recognition of their meanings. When we say that unfoldment is guided, we mean that it is a deepening revelation of our human potential. We call it guided because it is going toward optimization. We are guided from being closed to being open, and always from a present manifestation to a deeper one. This guidance happens through the opening up of understanding. In other words, guidance is the facilitation of our natural unfoldment.

Spacecruiser Inquiry, pg. 238

The Angel of Revelation

In other traditions, the Diamond Guidance is sometimes called the angel of revelation, the holy spirit that brings the word or message from the source. It is the angel that guides us to Beingness that is our ground, our nature, our source. It is the true friend, the total friend, because the Guidance’s only concern is for you as a soul to go back to your source, to be who and what you can be, with total acceptance, total support, total guidance, total kindness. The soul needs to place herself in the right attitude for this kind of blessing to come. You have to do the work of correctly orienting yourself. Basically this means harmonizing your consciousness with the mode of presence and operation of the Guidance. This is what we are exploring when we discuss inquiry – the right orientation, the right posture, the ways of being and functioning that will invite the Guidance.

Spacecruiser Inquiry, pg. 223

Edited by Zigzag Idiot
embarrassment

Rewatching this short clip is good for me. The knowledge it contains relates to the volatility of states of consciousness that exists with everyone.

Below is a new one I’ve found that relates to conscience. Worded excellently, 

A home is more than a house. It’s a place to fuck and fry bacon. That’s just a memorable remark I overheard years ago.

I believe one has to guard against the tendency to be a goody-goody which is a typical characteristic of a zen devil, to borrow Leo’s phrase regarding spiritual materialism. I’ve always had a tendency for being too serious. Reading The Psychological Commentaries on the Teaching of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky by Maurice Nicoll showed me the value of lightheartedness.

One of my favorite quotes of his regarding the neurotic mindset overburdened with internal dialogue.,,,

Working to maintain a space of inner quiet that's not affected by the world.

How often do we let thoughts trigger us and ruin our day?  Do you have a mind or does your mind have you? 
Have you got sufficient inner observation? Have you cleared and well dug a big space in your mind through the practice of inner attention and put a hedge round it and a gate so that you can hear the click of the gate and watch this darling little thought coming up the drive all ready to say: “Oh, how tired I am,” etc.? I fancy that once we let it in very far every thought gets hold of us and wrings us, takes our blood, makes us react, talk, behave, in a certain way, and then, satisfied with having dined off us, it retires for a time.

I’m all ears and I can’t hear anything that disturbs me.

That is inner quiet. 

When the attention is there, inner quiet is present. In my inner world everything is the same and is no problem. Curiosity exists.

This is no guarantee that I’ll be completely identified and lost in a reaction a few minutes later because some thing in my outer world has gone off the rails. Perhaps I blow a tire out going down the Highway or my house is found to be on fire. 
In some way my attention has been drawn away emotionally. There are countless ways this can happen. Staying centered and able to direct my own attention is a long term practice. 
To not be startled when others are. This is a sign of a person who is present and not glued to the parallel reality of the collective ego. 

People see whatever that want to see, you could say. You see?

This is/was a seer’s seeing eye song.

It was about a Being who awoke and then died from seeing what they saw. Later on, the Being decided to leap out of the grave. 

• Waking
  • deficient emptiness
  • dying
  • deficient emptiness
  • rebirth/reborn

We often become miserable in varying degrees by thinking too much.

Recognizing that the mind is not quiet is often overlooked,,, ironically.

To become quiet inside. Pretend that you are extremely stupid and then just persist with this role playing exercise.

So 6 hours later and I’m sitting here stupidly looking at the last bit of daylight. There are crickets, frogs and cicadas singing and chirping. There are other sounds I’m not mentioning. It feels nice to be stupid and calm. There are sounds like the neighbors voices that draw my attention. I know nothing  and I feel fine. But information can be burdensome as well as informative. 
Does the information further understanding?

I don’t have to ask for insight. It usually shows up mixed in with trash thoughts. So letting everything go (kenosis) or role playing stupid and empty-headed works somewhat. It depends on how much you apply such disciplines. Just my opinion. 

Scratching my face under my beard

At peace

I am like a cat

I love solitude 

All people are crazy as am I

This morning tears flowed thinking of her being alone

She deserves to be shown more love

I’m feeling weepy again

I find it ironic that she is a person who requires a good deal of solitude as well

Don't Litter

Watch old episodes of Bozo

Self-observe while trying not to think too much.

Abandon cynicism and genuinely wish people well

Been sickly the last 2-3 days.

I feel like an earthworm with the shit slung out of it.

Wish I could find more old Bozo clips with Arkansas's Gary Weir. Like the one above.

Some of my favorite Bozo questions-

Jason, do you walk to school or do you carry your lunch? ,,,,,,,

Christine, I want to know something ,, okay?  She says, okay.

Michael, where are you from partner? 

Michael say's, Arkansas.

Bozo asks. I wonder how Come?

Michael replies. I don't know.

D

IMO.,,,A bit cynical but true.

Very sobering,,,,