Sukhpaal

Enlightened Yogis Preaching Religion?

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I noticed that some Yogis even though some that are enlightened, preach religion. For example, this Yogi I went to talks about everything Leo talks about, no self, enlightenment, unconditional love, etc. But he also told me that I should be repeating religious mantras, regardless of which religion it is. He believes that religion is essential for spiritual development. Anyone care to comment on this?

This is explained by last week's Spiral Dynamics video:

Developmental Lines:

He is stage Turquoise on the spiritual development line but stage Blue on the cognitive development line.

This is why enlightenment alone is not enough. There are many other developmental lines besides spiritual.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

8 hours ago, Sukhpaal said:

Hi guys, I noticed that some Yogis even though some that are enlightened, preach religion. For example, this Yogi I went to talks about everything Leo talks about, no self, enlightenment, unconditional love, etc. But he also told me that I should be repeating religious mantras, regardless of which religion it is. He believes that religion is essential for spiritual development. Anyone care to comment on this?

What comes to my mind is this:

1. There are as many paths as there are beings.

2. "Being enlightened" is not validated through hearsay.

3. Some "religious" people say that a "Buddha" knows how to teach every being individually according to its biases and needs and that those with lower attainments lack this capacity.

Please do not pay attention to my empty words if you are following Leo's teaching !!
Sometimes my empty words may appear too negative, too rational, too irrational, egoistical or even like trolling because my path is a non-path and is nothing but deviation and incompatible with all teachings known.

@Leo Gura That makes a whole lot more sense now. It's pretty interesting that someone can be stage turquoise spiritually, but stage blue cognitivley.

@ground He never once said he was enlightened, I spent a few days with him and he reminded me a lot of other enlightened teachers. He also possesses mystic abilities, he was able to pin point important life events of mine which in no way he could have had knowledge about. He also did the same for other people who attended his meditation session which he did for free.  

36 minutes ago, Sukhpaal said:

He never once said he was enlightened, I spent a few days with him and he reminded me a lot of other enlightened teachers. He also possesses mystic abilities, he was able to pin point important life events of mine which in no way he could have had knowledge about. He also did the same for other people who attended his meditation session which he did for free.  

Sounds good. If you have issues with him recommending mantras there is no need to have issues with mantras categorically because the effect of mantras need not be explained religiously but can also be explained psychologically.

Please do not pay attention to my empty words if you are following Leo's teaching !!
Sometimes my empty words may appear too negative, too rational, too irrational, egoistical or even like trolling because my path is a non-path and is nothing but deviation and incompatible with all teachings known.

20 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

This is explained by last week's Spiral Dynamics video:

Developmental Lines:

He is stage Turquoise on the spiritual development line but stage Blue on the cognitive development line.

This is why enlightenment alone is not enough. There are many other developmental lines besides spiritual.

You are in stage blue my padawan. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

17 hours ago, Sukhpaal said:

@ground Yeah thats true, mantras can have a positive effect

yes, I recite mantras from time to time and I do find it very helpful.

Edited by ground

'Mantra': Mann (Mind) + Tantra (Tool or Device). So a mantra is basically a tool/device for the mind. Usually the mantras (or sounds) that are to be chanted are to be done so at a specific time, in a specific rhythm and in a specific way -so as to activate various organs in your physical body through the vibrations created by the sounds you generate.  But I believe most people aren't receptive to the in-depth knowledge that each of the rituals entail and it is exhausting for both the spiritual leaders and the people to be teaching or learning them, so they pass it on as 'religious rituals'. Most people just want a solution to their problems without putting in the effort to know how the solution works. This actually gets in their way, cause then they be reciting mantras anytime anywhere and wonder why it is not helping.