Helios

Do you find entertainment valuable?

7 posts in this topic

I have mixed opinion on entertainment.

Some times i find it useful because it helps me to relax and i love to watch films/tv series, listen to music, go to concerts.

But other thimes i feel like this entertainment can become an addiction and distract me from the real work i have to do.

The problems is that I want to create entertainment (videos) but when i think of how addictions to certain types of entertainment make my life miserable i face some guilt on creating this entertainment.

I have come to realize that I cannot predict in advance on what is going to be a valuable experience for me in the future. I can only make guesses. There are a few movies, pieces of music, theater, dance, etc. that have had a real positive impact on my life though I did not think much of them even after immediately watching/listening/experiencing them and my intention was purely for entertainment. Which means that anything you consume or interact with or experience- can become fuel for your life or work if you are willing to explore it, even years later.

But what I find entertaining in any particular moment, depends on what phase I'm in in life. I've spent countless hours of my life watching Mr. Bean and Tom&Jerry cartoons. Do I think those hours were a waste of time? No. But if I watch them now, I might. If I have kids and watch cartoons with them, again- I might not. 

Maybe instead of thinking about it as entertainment, you could think of it as art. You're doing it for yourself first- because creating it brings value to your own life and sharing your creativity with the world brings joy to you and others (Is joy a value for you?). If it makes you feel guilty, maybe you could change the way you do it or focus on something that you value. Would others find it addicting? Maybe. For all I know, it is even possible to get addicted to Leo's videos for no fault of his. It is even possible to get addicted to exercising, yoga and self-improvement and anything that is considered 'positive' if you're doing it in order to avoid dealing with life.  

@Helios

It's all about how you use it.

I actually would consider music sometimes a more valuable self-actualization tool than even books. Because with books, you're often just sitting in your logical mind and conceptualizing. Music is about feeling, and feeling is extremely important.

So it really depends. In general, I would say people consume too much entertainment because they lack purpose and seek an escape from their life. But there is a way to consume that is healthy.

7 hours ago, aurum said:

@Helios

It's all about how you use it.

I actually would consider music sometimes a more valuable self-actualization tool than even books. Because with books, you're often just sitting in your logical mind and conceptualizing. Music is about feeling, and feeling is extremely important.

So it really depends. In general, I would say people consume too much entertainment because they lack purpose and seek an escape from their life. But there is a way to consume that is healthy.

+ 1000

music + dancing + stomping the ground with your foots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbw__MsJZ0

We know nothing, and even, I m not sure. a.V.e