Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Manjushri

What's a good way to balance actualization and 'pleasure'?

10 posts in this topic

Self actualization IS pleasant, but there are some parts where u gotta pull yo sleeves u know. How do I balance 'work' and play? EG I can go on whatsapp only after X. 

I teach and do Tantra on a daily basis. This is my thing for balance :)

Edited by Hellspeed

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Don't make the actualization path seem like a chore, that would be an ugly mistake. This isn't school homework, it's your life.

By simply realizing the implications of actualization and having a vision, things will fall into place and you can relax whenever you need to, and continue work whenever you need to, you will see what you have to do by yourself. You can integrate relaxation as part of your actualization path. You mentioned Whatsapp, so maybe there's a need for connecting with other people?

Maybe you can try managing your time more effectively, for example removing the most time-consuming distractions and having a schedule. Change your sleep schedule so that you go to sleep earlier and wake earlier. Finish neccessary work earlier so that you have time for more work that is needed and maybe some play time.

@Sahil Pandit Thank you! ^_^

I think I forgot to also mention that there are healthier ways to relax/"play" than to check your Facebook or Whatsapp, if you really want to connect with people. It doesn't have to be anything meditation or New Age-y either, but maybe some basic stress management or picking up a sport with friends.

Edited by Aquarius

@Gligorije

The problem is that what most people call “play” is sometimes just bullshit.

For instance, something like eating unhealthy food is often seen as “fun” and “living”. In reality that person probably just lacks a larger purpose that is challenging them and / or still has emotional addictions.

Ideally, your work should be play. There shouldn’t be a difference in the two, because your work is just so in alignment with your core.

@aurum I knew somebody would say this. 

What I actually meant :

Say I want to be good at the flute.

So there's a desire. 

What I mostly do with the flute is jam and compose. 

If I had a good actualiztion plan, I'd not count this time as improving, but pleasure. Improving would be scales/arp/tone/rhythm and practice od everything else... 

@Aquarius Well my social media are blocked to 5 mins a day per app. What I meant is checking it as a reward for smth. 

Same goes for this forum, it's really useful but it's pleasant and relaxing. I can use it as a reward 

@Artaemis I've reached it. It's really really pleasant. 

Please see my other comments in this thread to elaborate. 

@Aquarius

40 minutes ago, Gligorije said:

@aurum I knew somebody would say this. 

What I actually meant :

Say I want to be good at the flute.

So there's a desire. 

What I mostly do with the flute is jam and compose. 

If I had a good actualiztion plan, I'd not count this time as improving, but pleasure. Improving would be scales/arp/tone/rhythm and practice od everything else... 

Same reply goes for you