kieranperez

Stage Orange Exploiting Yellow Explanation?

8 posts in this topic

In the last Spiral Dynamics video regarding the nuances of the model, @Leo Gura talked about Orange exploiting Yellow. What did you/he mean by this? I think I got what he's saying but I don't want to bet on it. 

That was my understanding too. For example: the pattern of yellow being extremely inventive and coming up with technology that transcends current paradigms, and orange being cunning and recognizing the business opportunity in it, and capitalizing on the idea.

An example of this: The Deep Learning field of AI is born out of a very Yellow approach to technology. Right now Orange is scrambling to figure out all the ways to profit with this emerging tech, without really paying much attention to the big picture of it.

In some ways this kind of relationship could seem parasitic, but in other ways it's just how things work in our society/economy/culture at this stage of development!

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

Yeah I guess we're all on the same page. Good example @outlandish, Yellow creates advanced AI for "noble" purposes and to solve different systemic issues and epidemics in the world and Orange would rather just market the shit out of it and manipulate AI to maximize profits. 

Yes @kieranperez but I think that might be putting too much colour/judgment on it. At least if we try to look at it through a Tier 2 lens, you could say that Orange's "compromise" of Yellow's nobility is a necessary part of making these ideas work in todays environment. If Orange didn't bring the idea to market maybe it would just fester as some academic concept and not come to life or bring any utility to humanity.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

Exactly, the yellow is the inventor of a great ideas but the orange is the one that makes a practical use out of it and that's actually great cooperation 

1 hour ago, Cortex said:

Exactly, the yellow is the inventor of a great ideas but the orange is the one that makes a practical use out of it and that's actually great cooperation 

To an extent. You can still have powerful orange inventors like when Bill Gates started Microsoft.

I think more likely than Orange stealing Yellow's ideas, it's primarily the fact that Orange is concerned about making money.  Orange is defined by materialism and achievement.  Those values are perfectly capable of creating a profitable business, in fact they are all you need to create a profitable business.  Unlike Orange, yellow is concerned more with sustainability and the impact their products will have on humanity as a whole.  What I'm trying to say is Orange is just looking to get rich and seek achievement through materialism, yellow has added hurdles when it comes to maximizing wealth because they aren't trying to maximize wealth.  The exploitation is simply taking advantage of the fact that orange doesn't have to care about other people, when yellow is certainly smart enough to think of these tactics, they have more big picture goals than selling a product that breaks in a week

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows

Honestly, I think Orange is trying to influence society as much as any other colours. I remember an Orange manager was teaching me sales techniques, and his ultimate achievement was trying to be an influencer/expertise in a field where you can dictate to other people what they should want (product wise).

I think Orange goals can be misguided by their hunger for power and influence; this include stealing or using Yellow ideas and market it with a plot twist rather than for the pure authentic reasons of improving whatever issues the buyers are facing.

Healthy Orange is a gate keeper and understands the lower colours needs and wants (and can deliver it); and Green is more the empathetic mother but other colours tend to abuse it. Unfortunately, Yellow concept its self is too complicated for the lower tiers to understand and appreciate.