Tony 845

What techniques do monks use for Enlightentment?

10 posts in this topic

Self inquiry, sds sits, regular mantra mediation or a collection of them all? I've seen the documentary for the marathon monks of mt. Heya, what  happens if they become enlightened before there 11 year stint on the mountain is over? They just keep doing the same practices? 

Edited by Tony 845
Grammar

32 minutes ago, Tony 845 said:

what  happens if they become enlightened before there 11 year stint on the mountain is over? T

I wonder about this, too. I doubt it's like being on a city bus where you just pull the cord when you get where you wanted to go. "OK, I've arrived....let me off!"  xD

@PsiloPutty mind boggling to me  that it takes some people decades to become enlightend, hope it doesn't take "me" that long. ?‍♂️ This whole owning a business & family thing keeps getting in "my" way. 

Edited by Tony 845

@Tony 845 There's no guarantee that it'll happen at all in a lifetime, even when on the path. I figure if it never happens to me, at least I'll be working on karma. For now, I'm just enjoying the process as best I can.

There are many different types of monks, which denomination do you mean? Zen in Japan probably use mostly counting/awareness of breath. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@PsiloPutty I'm getting back into sds sits, they seem to bring forth the most breakthrough/ kundalini/mystical  moments for me. 

Edited by Tony 845

Depends. 

I myself more hardcore than an average monk, I meditate anywhere anytime, any activity. 

No wasting the seed outside is a rule, you use the seed only to bypass a huge emotional blockage or give birth. 

There are days on which I like to sit, others I like to run. I don't force into my self a special technique sitting, otherwise will lead to nonsense. 

Enjoy life in its full splendor while you have the full attention in yourself above anything else, this my greatest joy. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.