saint_charming7

Counter-intuitive moves in life

10 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. Probably I will be making a counter-intuitive move in the next weeks that might affect my career and personal-life. I would like to know, if any one has done something similar? how was your experience?  

I'm feeling like an odd-ball lately (lol), but I believe this is something normal that we all pass through in life. Idk maybe I can find some comfort and confidence in reading some of your experiences. 

thanks a lot.

@Shiva I'm considering dropping out an MBA I'm currently studying, and opening up a business with two friends. I'm don't want to stop studying though, I was thinking about making a master's online so I can keep having an education part-time, and work in my business.  

1 hour ago, saint_charming7 said:

I was thinking about making a master's online so I can keep having an education part-time

What's the point of the education?

An MBA is not going to be that beneficial if your end goal is to be an entrepreneur. You'd be much better off putting that money into more practical skills like either marketing, sales or copywriting training.

Hey, I also made a counter intuitive move. I'm currently in the process of switching from programming to motion design. It is lower paying and everybody is asking why but I didn't really feel like I had a choice once I knew I would be miserable in a office working with numbers.

I will finish my study because it is only one more year and that little paper may give me more opportunity in the future but I don't really think it is necessary. When you are able to show you can offer immense value, people will come. I have no degree or anything and I'm already earning money with making video's for companies so just keep at it man!

Good luck!

@aurum I understand what you mean, the thing is that I'm considering opening a financial advisory business (and participate in the analysis for the clients and etc...) so I need at least a certification showing that I'm credible to do so, that's why I'm thinking in choosing online. It is mostly a formalities, so I don't have any problems with the law or something like that. 

@dude that's really inspiring, thanks for sharing this info, that's a good tangible example. I think you're following the right path, good luck with it!

9 hours ago, saint_charming7 said:

I'm considering opening a financial advisory business (and participate in the analysis for the clients and etc...) so I need at least a certification showing that I'm credible to do so

Sounds like you need a Series license then.

@Bluebird It will be emotionally difficult giving up in the MBA to start my own business. I can sense some tension building-up , and some criticism coming up even from my family members, also I will have to return to my country to do so (I'm studying abroad atm). This will be kinda tough, because where I'm living now (Barcelona, Spain) is actually a better city than my native one, so going back will be pretty much me working and studying full-time, because there is nothing really interesting going on there. So it will be a period of a lot of work, discipline, and gradual steps. However, I'm feeling that I'm ready for this, and taking the hard -way might be a little more painful, but it seems more "correct" for me.

Btw, thank you so much for taking the time for helping me with this.

Edited by saint_charming7
had to write more informations for the reply

@saint_charming7 Don't see why you'd necessarily have to move back. I'm sure if you felt strongly enough about it you'd be sufficiently motivated to do what is required to find a way to stay (if that feels right).

Don't expect starting the business to instantly feel significantly better either. It's going to be tough, just make sure you push through any resistance you might have to complete.

But good luck, feel the excitement building up.

Edited by Bluebird

^ I was going to say the same thing. Can you bust your ass for a couple of years and pull both off? It will never be a bad thing to have an MBA under your belt. Even if your life course takes you 100% down the route of entrepreneurship you will learn so many valuable things in your MBA, and it never hurts to have that credibility.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.