IVONNE

IS it too old/late to get that degree I am 25?

10 posts in this topic

Good evening folks, its been a while since I've been in this forum due to having a lot workload, anyway, so glad to be back :)

Considering that I am currently on my Access to HE (social sciences) course studying sociology which is my absolute favourite subject already and psychology, is it too old to go on and start doing a joint degree in Law and sociology at university. I have just turned 25 in October. I so want to invest 3 years in my degree programme, however people nowadays graduate at 22 or 23 max just like my sisters and I am starting at 25/26 which means I'll be 29 by the time I graduate and feel that I am too old for some reasons. I have had a busy few years working and exploring in professional fields observing what people were like and what did work look like most of all, saving up to purchase a car after getting my license and came to a wise decision in the programme I want to study at university. I will be doing a joint degree in Law and Sociology. And one thing for sure is that I don't want to be working at a place that is not worth my time and whatever their pay rate is anymore.

I feel like those that have graduated will be starting a family or working whilst I'll be in my programme but then again I simply don't see the difference and I have no idea why I am feeling this way. Maybe its a FOMO fear.

Any help would be really much appreciated, be kind )

Ivonne x

40 minutes ago, IVONNE said:

Maybe its a FOMO fear

It is FOMO. Societal pressure saying "you have to be at X by age Y". It's all bullshit.

The way you beat FOMO is by being crystal clear on what exactly it is that you want. The more certain you are internally about the direction you're going, the less anybody else's opinion is going to matter.

So I would ask myself: if I took away the opinions of others, is that what I really want? If the answer is yes, just go and never look back.

It is definitely not too late, I've signed for 3 year postgraduate study (completely different from my major) at 28, having finished the uni nearly 5 years ago.

Once you graduate you will have probably next 40-50 years to work in the industry of your choosing so 3 extra years is a small investment imo.  The difference in career satisfaction and overall happiness between working a boring job you took to pay your bills and a work that is meaningful and inspiring to you will make a difference in every area of your life.  

Just be absolutely certain that this is something you want to do. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I was 34 when I started nursing school at a University and 37 when I graduated. My age didn't matter.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1 Its nice to know that everyone is at a different pace and there is absolutely no difference. Thanks for sharing^_^

@IVONNE  No problem (btw, it was 11 yrs ago when I graduated), one lady in my nursing class was 50!

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Not too late at all go for it. I think you're probably smart to delay it a bit, means you have the perspective to know what you want to pursue. Lots of people I know wasted years in university studying a field they ended up not being interested in.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

And here I am thinking of finishing my studies at 39 :D go for it!