Sven

Flow State and Enlightenment: Differences and Similarities

6 posts in this topic

Flow.PNG

Watch the video if you feel like it, else the list in the image shown above (excerpt from Ted talk by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, author of Flow & more,  psychologist)

Question is: How can you differentiate between the Flow state and Enlightenment?

Please do not answer impulsively. I won't be glad seeing anything like "it's the same" or "it's completely different". 

If you are willing to answer, I want to hear arguments- and if not arguments, then your word on not being able to put it into words but yet having experienced "both" "states" and you feel like your experience is worth sharing in this context.

That being said.

If you regard the list in the image you can see that many of the factors named seem very much alike the ones named by people who have either woken up entirely or have had a (prolonged) experience of enlightenment. I am assuming you can see for yourself which ones correspond.

As far as differences go, research points out that people usually experience the flow state when performing an action which is both challenging and demanding of (any type of) skill.
Enlightenment on the other hand, is related to the dissolving of the self and has nothing to do with performance. So you could say they are actually not at all the same.

It then follows for me that the flow state is just one of the many things which can be willfully chosen to be experienced once the self is dissolved. In other words, enlightenment > flow.

There is much more to be said here, but I kind of lost my drift on writing here. Plus I would end up writing forever. At the same time, I am unsure as to how you guys will receive this subject. If anyone is interested in a serious discussion regarding this question of mine I would appreciate it!

Thanks guys, keep rocking :)

I'll watch this later when I get home sounds fascinating, but share my experience thus far.

What you call enlightenment and flow are each perspective experiences one can live as a "consciousness"in  which is inseparable from Source/Self/Oneness.  The life journey of discovering this is a conscious journey of Self itself.  Flow stat is a experience of engagement, generally not sustained that has experiential tangents to what is generally accepted as enlightenment experiences which funny enough are often not sustained at their peaks either like a flow state.  This flow state to is experienced in essense as Self itself, although most often its from the state of mind of a person who sees themselves as a individual.  I would maybe even say that flow is sciences way of classifying and accepting these same area's of life a monk/spiritual seekers says in spiritual awakening moments.

Edited by Mu_

As i see it, flow state is sort of losing yourself in completely surrendering to your experience as 'i', and enlightenment losing yourself by complete detachment from experience as 'i'. 

@i am I AM thank you for clearing that up :)

Edited by WindInTheLeaf
misinterpretation

Brahman is only a teaching tool, not the divine 'i'. Flow state appears like a limited version of the ultimate enlightenment

The majority of us are on the flow to a certain degree. But very few of us are God-like flow awareness and be able to literally BE all times at will. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

@Sven That video is so awesome ? 

I would say it is a Turquoise-level state of consciousness.

20 years ago, adrenaline was the big thing for thrill-seekers - bungee jumping, roller coasters etc. Now I’m seeing more and more people seeking flow states.