FredFred

Concentration vs. Awareness in Mindfulness Meditation

148 posts in this topic

@FredFred

Here's an easy way to think of this..

Concentration is concentrated awareness onto one thing.

Awareness is passive.  It's floating, going wherever the moment is taking it. 

Your intuition is your own personal genie.  Learn to trust that infinite intelligence.

One example of Psychologically time is the “me” escaping the fact of suffering to the idea that I will become some “thing” in time. I am not suffering/not enlightened, but I will become enlightened soon by practicing and such.  Awareness doesn’t move within the field of psychological time. 

Edited by Jack River

3 minutes ago, SageModeAustin said:

@FredFred

Here's an easy way to think of this..

Concentration is concentrated awareness onto one thing.

Awareness is passive.  It's floating, going wherever the moment is taking it. 

That’s it. 

12 minutes ago, i am I AM said:

.@Jack River In Rupert Spira meditation "bringing expectation to an end" he talks about the emotional impulses in mind, a.k.a, pre-rational thoughts that help to separate you and not be pure awareness.....so, the state you refer to is not permanent without being enlightened. One can't adhere to these conditions consistently in another case.

That’s why it’s important to understand thought/self first thing. We shouldn’t advise people to try and get somewhere. But first explain the importance of how wanting to get somewhere limits freedom/liberation

Edited by Jack River

We never become enlightened dudes. Freedom means we are always changing and we don’t resist that change. Becoming totally ends. It’s much sweeter that inventing an image of enlightenment and chasing that image. Way sweeter:D

Edited by Jack River

11 minutes ago, Jack River said:

One example of Psychologically time is the “me” escaping the fact of suffering to the idea that I will become some “thing” in time. I am not suffering/not enlightened, but I will become enlightened soon by practicing and such.  Awareness doesn’t move within the field of psychological time. 

Okay so basically thinking in the future or past, cool. 

Your intuition is your own personal genie.  Learn to trust that infinite intelligence.

15 minutes ago, Jack River said:

Concentration is good for getting shit done outwardly. But inwardly it causes the issues. 

I dont agree.

Concentration is a powerfull tool.

It CAN cause issues, if you cannot let go, when its time.

2 minutes ago, SageModeAustin said:

Okay so basically thinking in the future or past, cool. 

Any movement of fear looking to thought to end that fear is psychological time. Any movement of me relying on knowledge/memory to solve psychological problems is psychological time. I am this, but if I use these techniques I will be that. 

@SageModeAustin lookig to the future to solve psychological problems is the self looking to thought, which is the past to solve that problem. But the problem comes from thought. Psychological time is the self looking to thought to solve problems that thought has created. I can send you a video that may help. Krishnamurti and tolle both talk about psychological time. 

8 minutes ago, Bluff said:

I dont agree.

Concentration is a powerfull tool.

It CAN cause issues, if you cannot let go, when its time.

Go into the nature of concentration man. You will see. It’s a tool. But not healthy for  the psychological 

1 minute ago, Jack River said:

I am this, but if I use these techniques I will be that. 

For that moment, yes.

37 minutes ago, Bluff said:

there is no transition. awareness is always there. concentration in the end is destraction and you'll laugh when you'll see

edit: dont get me wrong.. concentration is importend

31 minutes ago, Jack River said:

Awareness isn’t always there. Thought does identify with awareness as an idea though. One of thoughts tricks. I did that. True Awareness doesn’t get caught in these tricks. 

I dont get your point.

True Awareness, not caught in any tricks, isnt always there?!

@Jack River 
Well then, how do you solve this "problem"?  By doing nothing and not thinking? 

There are So many ways in which fear plays a role in your daily life. Be conscious in your human interactions, habits, roles you play, nagging thoughts past/future, ideas of  psychological becoming and security, and emotions especially in triggered situations. All of this is “opportunity” to see/understand thought/self and see through the veil.  

8 minutes ago, Jack River said:

Go into the nature of concentration man. You will see. It’s a tool. But not healthy for  the psychological 

It is a tool for newbies trying to focus. Learning to meditate.

The guy who posted this topic is working with concentration and this helped him to "be the breath". Sounds like a great start for a beginner. So stop telling concentration is unhealthy!

They will at one point see that no concentrarion is needed for seeing.

@Bluff newbies have as much if not more of a chance to end the illusion of psychological time. If I would have just started with understanding myself first I wouldn’t have got caught in years of self deception/illusion. 

Edited by Jack River

@Bluff we can try and get our precious reward of enlightenment or we can understand why we seek such a “thing”. We can spend our whole lives conforming to patterns of thought or we can end all patterns of thought. 

We can understand ourselves or we can keep trying to escape ourselves. Up to you’s dudes. 

@Jack River 

you really don't have to teach me this stuff :D just wanted to tell you, that @FredFred is working with the concept of concentration. Perhaps just like Leo tought him.. And claiming that concentration is all bad won't help.