FredFred

Concentration vs. Awareness in Mindfulness Meditation

148 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Outer said:

Yes, it's the application of thought intelligently

No dude. Lol you clearly haven’t seen yet. Intelligence isn’t the product of thought. Didn’t you get the memmo??xD it’s all over the forum dude. Intelligence works to keep thought straight. But intelligence is not born of thought/“me” itself. Like that metaphor @who chit sheared. Intelligence or “bigs self” sees the whole of thought/self/objects and in that seeing there is intelligent thinking. If that seeing from the standpoint of awareness isn’t there then thought is corrupt. It then thinks it is of greatest significance/the ground. 

Edited by Jack River

I feel like this topic has been going off-road for a good while now.

On 124 replies, only 5 tried to answer my original question.

Breathing in, I calm my body.

Breathing out, I smile.

Just now, Outer said:

I said using thought intelligently. Self-inquiry is good thinking. Obsessing about "i" or "my stuff" isn't.

Dude...lol hilarious. I like you outer?

3 minutes ago, FredFred said:

I feel like this topic has been going off-road for a good while now.

On 124 replies, only 5 tried to answer my original question.

Concentration is what you are shooting for right? My point was showing the difference between the two. The rest is up to you to look at. 

3 minutes ago, Outer said:

Sit down, close the monitor. Close your eyes. No music.

Be without thought for 45 minutes.

Report back. Count the thoughts.

If it's more than 0 then you got work to do. Self-inquiry.

Motive fuels thought dude. You don’t get it man. Instead of self inquiry maybe understand yourself for now. Motive/thought are mutually interdependent man. Intelligence reveals this. 

Edited by Jack River

Fragmentation dudes. Psychological time fuels reaction/thoughts. 

Edited by Jack River

9 minutes ago, Jack River said:

Faceless said it wasn’t natural for him. He suffered a lot. But he said one day he just stoped resisting out of nowhere.

Shit,my bad. O.o

10 minutes ago, Jack River said:

Anyway it is better to at least be aware of this illusion rather than not. So in that sense the means/way isn’t all bad. 

Fosho xD. If it meant that I had to eat a Fart sandwich to realize,I'd choke that sucker down in a second. Whatever means,whatever way works,i'd be on it.

In every way one can imagine,realizing Truth is 100% worth the trouble. No doubt.B|

2 minutes ago, Outer said:

So you can't sit for 45 minutes without thought.

I’m saying when I have a motive in mind that is reactionary itself. So thought come as a result. When I and free of thought I didn’t set out to do so. I have never timed this lol. 

Edited by Jack River

Actual meditation, as in choicless attention/awareness this is revealed. You have seen that yet? Motive/intention or psychological time blinds us to this. 

Edited by Jack River

@Outer oh outer. Funny guy. The point is when I am not projecting a reward to be attained that is when thought stops. You are not getting it dude. At least see I’ll into this. You say you are intelligent. 

Edited by Jack River

I will go on to say that practices are no longer needed. Abiding awareness,inner silence is strong these days. Thoughts are either not noticeable,or very weak.

Life just opens up. ? ?

You can't sit down without thinking for 45 minutes because sitting down spawns thought for you. It's a big motive to sit down. It's such a big motive to count thoughts.

No just saying that the motive/desire and thought are the same. You can ether sit, stand, or walk, but resisting what is fuels thought no matter what. 

An accurate representation of progress is the amount of i-me-ego-my thoughts, less the better.

The falsity of progress is more like it dude. You wanting to progress is the breeder of thoughts.

2 minutes ago, Outer said:

Who doesn't resist?

Who practices? Who progresses? Who has a motive? Who wants to become “enlightened”? 

Who want to change the state of thinking to no-thinking. You see this is thoughts pattern. I am trapped in thought but I escape to the idea of non-thought, which fuels thought anyway. What a excellent game played heh? 

Just now, Outer said:

Because obviously if someone wants to progress they're not there. It's like you're telling people who've begun a marathon that only people before the finish line jog. The mistake you're making is thinking that anyone will actually become liberated from that kind of advice.

That’s why it’s good to into the nature of thinking dude. Why we want to be enlightened..why we seek psychologically..why “we” escape fear.. go into  how the me who progresses=fear resisting itself. And so on. Understanding that saying with the problem we learn about it, instead of always escaping the problem. 

8 minutes ago, Outer said:

So you're doing self-inquiry. This is self-inquiry. The thought destroyer.

I WANT NO THOUGHTS.

WHICH IS A THOUGHT

THEREBY THE ANSWER IS TO ASK WHO IS THE I THAT WANTS NO THOUGHT.

AND EVERYTIME ANOTHER I-THOUGHT ARRIVES I ASK AGAIN WHERE AM I? TO STOP FURTHER THOUGHTS.

That is control. All of that is born of resistance. Only thought chooses, seeks security. It’s way more subtle than that dude. That’s why instead of playing that game we can explore how motive/desire/fear/choice/resistance/identification/attachment is all one. And that is psychological time/becoming. Action born to the illusion that self is different from all of that. 

To understand somthing truly we cannot have a set and fixed desired outcome. That is an example of thoughts bias clinging to itself. The self is all of the above. 

Edited by Jack River

1 hour ago, who chit said:

I just don't think it's being taken into account just how active a person's mind can be,and how strongly the attachment to it is. In my case, I observed thought many times for years without any redeemable benefits. Silencing,quieting the inner mind through Kriya made all the difference in the world.

@who chitThis is interesting. quieting the mind can be done as easy as just being in the moment with whatever activity. personally i began quieting the mind while doing weight lifting which was unbelievably freeing. i noticed creativity and joy would spontaneously arise but i was still chasing and suffering from time to time and could not see the false division/illusion in which mind creates. 

9 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

@who chitThis is interesting. quieting the mind can be done as easy as just being in the moment with whatever activity. personally i began quieting the mind while doing weight lifting which was unbelievably freeing. i noticed creativity and joy would spontaneously arise but i was still chasing and suffering from time to time and could not see the false division/illusion in which mind creates. 

Fosho man. That’s how surfing was for me. At that moment I would be pretty quiet. But it wa always short lived. Now silence is constant with occasional thought movement to do certain things. What kind of lifting you do man? 

Edited by Jack River