Shroomdoctor

The Dangers of Psychadelics

30 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

Because you can get stupid, lose control and do whatever weird stuff. 

You are assuming the egoic delusional state is less delusional than the psychedelic delusional state. 

8 hours ago, Mikael89 said:

Because you can get stupid, lose control and do whatever weird stuff. Why exactly that happens you should ask God or maybe a psychologist or neuroscientist.

It can be bad even if used responsibly.

Why would I ask a psychologist when I can ask why YOU would do that? 

I've done pretty strong doses (200-300ug) outside in public and could entertain ridiculous ideas like taking off my clothes without actually doing it. and I do not even have exceptional self-control nor am I a genius. I am not saying I act sober, but I can certainly assess whether jumping off a balcony is a good idea and it never is. So I've never chalked it up to the substance. 

Every time I saw someone react weird to psychedelics it always seemed to be related to the personal issues that individual was resolving.

Edited by SgtPepper

I wholeheartedly agree with this view. All Psychedelics do is to remove the filters in frontal cortex and help one to receive more  information that the brain usually ignores. You can train yourself to reach that level at will, Its hard but it achievable 

20 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

@SgtPepper Tried anything else than LSD? Maybe you haven't had a bad trip? Google: "Bad trips on psychedelics."

Yes I've also tried Psilocybin and N-N DMT, multiple times. I have read plenty of bad trip reports. They can happen. I do not get concerned with them because thinking that may happen to you increases the chance. It won't happen because I am careful and I only experiment with psychedelics that can be done solo with no danger. Only way I could have a bad trip is if I overreact and let fear control me. I never do, I breathe and wait. 

Some psychedelics definitely require assistance like Salvia or 5-meo. I would not try those solo because they are too disorienting. I've heard people have bad trips on LSD and mushrooms too. It's either personal issues, they mixed it with weed, or it does not mesh well with their genetics (I hypothesize)

I haven't had a bad trip to the extent of bad trip reports or getting hospitalized. I wrote about my experiences in the post above. 

I am not trying to put any blame here. psychedelics are powerful, but man do people also try to avoid taking 100% responsibility for their actions on these substances. Maybe its easy for me to say. I probably appear like an inconsiderate ass from someone who's had a bad trip. Maybe I don't understand and that may be very true.

Still though, I wonder why some people commit not so-well thought out actions on these substances.

Edited by SgtPepper

1 hour ago, Mikael89 said:

@SgtPepper Some people can even get a complete blackout (loss of conscious action), so they have no idea what they are doing. And when they wake up they have no memory of what they did.

I did get a partly blackout on my bad trip. Good luck with being rational, in control, breathing calmly, being responsible, present, and all that wise shit during a blackout.

I've looked up blackout trips reports. I found some interesting anecdotal stories. Psychedelics are definitely not good for people with underlying mental health conditions like schizophrenia; individuals prone to psychotic breaks for unknown reasons, or individuals with devastating trauma in their past. OR at least in self-experimentation way. 

In a therapeutic setting with a trained team to help guide your experience and a therapist to help integrate and process the experience. It could be a very different thing.

https://octaviorettig.com/toad-medicine/

I also don't remember all parts of my experiences clearly. and I am not necessarily in control either... There's just absolutely no interest to act in anyway that would be deemed illegal or dangerous. I keep to myself and I am typically aware of others. If anything I am more aware of awareness itself while feeling my feeling intensely, and watching my thoughts shape my subjective reality. My feeling and thoughts are obviously my own personal issues. 

Edited by SgtPepper

1 hour ago, Mikael89 said:

@SgtPepper Some people can even get a complete blackout (loss of conscious action), so they have no idea what they are doing. And when they wake up they have no memory of what they did.

I did get a partly blackout on my bad trip. Good luck with being rational, in control, breathing calmly, being responsible, present, and all that wise shit during a blackout.

I’ve blacked multiple times on psychedelics. It can be disorienting and unsetting when regaining consciousness. Yet, for me, they are not like you describe. They are not like an alcohol blackout. 

Psychedelics are post-rational and beyond ego - being in control and rational is dissolved whether it is a “good” or “bad” trip. 

In the sub ego death zone, I have experienced anxiety and fear of harm impulses. I’ve learned that is a construct of my ego to avoid surrender. That which lies beyond the ego has no interest in causing harm to me or others.

"Beware of unearned wisdom" - Carl Jung

Your ego will recreate the experience to suit it self. It might lead you astray even more. Or it might help you if you are ready for it.

The only danger of psychedlics I really care about is their potential cardiotoxicity in long-term, regular use. Psilocybin is probably not so good for your heart, if you trip on it every month.

There's a new report of guy who had a heart attack from taking mushrooms 30 days in a row. I know it's rather abuse, than use, but you still don't know long-term consequences of normal usage.

Week ago there was published a study from one of Polish universities, showing that psilocybin creates pathological changes in heart tissue in rats even at low to moderate doses.

5-MeO-DMT is probably safe, as it doesn't bind to 5-ht2b receptor, in which the whole heart is covered and LSD is safe-ish, because it has an unique method of action. Other tryptamines and phentylamines - take caution and beware of the risk.

I accept the possible consequences of psychedelics use, but most people may not even be aware that there exist health risks. It's still mostly uncharted territory and we are far from having the perfect drugs. More research needs to be done.

11 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

In the sub ego death zone, I have experienced anxiety and fear of harm impulses. I’ve learned that is a construct of my ego to avoid surrender. That which lies beyond the ego has no interest in causing harm to me or others.

Yes! :D. Same here...