graded24

Contents of consciousness and the brain

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

Just watched Leo's latest video, What Is Spirituality? - A No-Bullshit Intro To Spirituality. At 1:13:00 he discusses the brain issue, and how it is the biggest stumbling block for rational, scientific minded people. And he is right, I am one of them and it indeed is the trickiest issue of all. The so-called 'hard problem of consciousness' is nothing but a manifestation of the same issue in the scientific world. 

Before I ask the question, let me clarify the context. I have a foot on each boat. I have studied physics all of my life. And yet, after a year of meditative and contemplative practices, I have now become directly conscious of how the physical reality, as a matter of experience, is actually made of the 'mind stuff'. So the body, the head on top, and the brain inside it, all of it, as a matter of experience, are made of the 'mind stuff'. They are like objects in a simulation. They are made of substance-less substance, so to speak. So the brain we see is not 'real'. It does not 'exist' in the way we think it does. But, the problem is, as the scientific paradigm would say, may be the brain is a simulation of something else, something real, that we don't have a direct access to. When I see a tree, the tree that appears in my consciousness is a simulation of something out there that I couldn't possibly know otherwise. Same with the brain. 

Now, brain and other objects that appear in my consciousness are not on equal footing. It is evidently clear that the contents of my consciousness have a huge correlation with whats happening to the brain. And I don't mean it as a theory. It is a direct experience of all of us. For example, if I inject my brain with a psychedelic, the contents of my consciousness  change drastically. It is abundantly clear that whatever we experience is preceded by corresponding neural activity. (Note that I am not saying I am my brain, for I am the one that experiences what the brain creates. ) 

Experience is not inside the brain, but it sure looks caused by it. Leo says we are inside a Mind. Indeed. May be we are inside our own minds. All evidences point to it. But I mean the real mind, (whatever that means) and not this brain that is a mere representation of that mind inside our minds. 

I have struggled with this dilemma for long. And would love to know what you think about it. Thanks! 

@graded24 Leo asked "what is …".

If U want to go deeper and be spiritual to the root, I suggest you ask: "Why…"

Why is deeper than What is.

Focus on Why and you will see than what is infinite:)

Answering why at the root is answeing all the "whats" we can have!!!

Leo has all the answers except the fundamental WHY question. He still have to see it somehow…

Leo is my guide, he helps me to stay focused on what I want.

THANKS LEO I LIKE YOU VERY MUCH!

Ask WHY now Leo:)

WHY I AM?

Edited by danton

@graded24 I can relate. I’m a science prof (genetics, developmental bio, neuroscience). There are plenty of members here up for some advanced coceptualization, so I’ll come right out and say it: If you are looking for what’s True, you will not be able to conceptualize it or understand it. You will not be able to put it into words. All theory, concepts and knowledge are WITHIN it. You will need to step outside of conceptualization and knowledge to see that conceptualization and knowledge is within something much more expansive. That’s been my experience. 

Just now, Serotoninluv said:

I pushed myself to my limit - to the point of “Oh my fucking God!!! What just happened??”. Once I saw it, I couldn’t unsee it. I then verified it again and again. What I found was beyond anything I could have imagined.

Psychedelics?

6 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

Psychedelics?

Both with and without. I was sooo deep into analysis and science. An Ayahuasca retreat with a tribe in Peru kicked my ego’s ass and opened an escape door.

@graded24 You are overlooking the obvious: what you see is all there is. Nothing is a simulation or even an experience of anything. You have 100% direct access to Absolute Truth at all times. Everything you see is directly the Absolute Truth. But simply by virtue of your belief that you are a seperate self, you are missing this most obvious think.

Nothing is hidden.

The reason you aren't understanding it is because for you to understand it you would have to realize, "Oh fuck! There is no me!!!"

And you are not yet prepared to that. Because you are only considering solutions which assume that you were born. Except you were never born. Your birth is just a story.

If there is no you, there is no one who is perceiving experience. Which means experience isn't really experience, but Absolute Truth.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.