Viking

what meditation pain is too much?

6 posts in this topic

ill be going to a vipassana 10 day retreat next week.

I know that im a guy that is really worried about hurting my body permanently, I can remain equanimous during pain that i know wont damage me, but when theres something that I think might damage me unrepairably i start to panic.

so with knowing this side of me, at what point should i stop the meditation or change posture? I worked on my meditation posture, and it might be good, but I still have doubts regarding it. what kind of pain might damage my back/knees/whatever? how do I know?

I would also appreciate some crucial tips for the posture to see if I do it correctly (I have researched it in the past)

You can ask this question to the master once you're there :)

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

What sitting position do you currently use?

Can you sit comfortably in that position for 1 hour?

Since you're up and down at least once every hour at most Vipassana retreats, there's next to ZERO chance that you're going to do damage that lasts even 1 day, let alone for the rest of your life. Unless you have a pre-existing condition, of course. 

That's not to say that you won't have pain.....you will.

Ask for a chair and proper pillows and cushions when there. Depending on the center they often allow you to sit towards the back against the wall. there are back support belts (bring from home) as well, kneeling stools with cushions and extra cushions. Just tell them when you arrive at the orientation about your situation and they will help you if you can't sit with crossed legs and the standard cushion. I prefer back support as well. I don't think it's good to sit in certain positions for so long. They ring bells around every two hours though and that will give you enough time to walk around. Sitting cross legged for more than two hours I think would be bad along with the circulation in the legs but for an hour or two it isn't if you're healthy. make sure to use the breaks to take walks. Don't worry so much about it. They will help you if you tell them your situation and that it would be best if you had back support or sat in a chair. you won't be sitting for longer than two hours without break in between so you will be safe with the right cushion setup. 

Edited by Widdle Puppy

@Viking 

Dude! That’s awesome. Great call, really happy for ya! Consider sharing a report when you get back. Enjoy, it’s going to be great. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

any pain is too much, in my humble opinion

Edited by Arkandeus

Stellars interact with Terrans from ÓB (Earth’s Low Orbit).!