Sukhpaal

Balancing Body Building diet and Consciousness Work

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys any tips on balancing a body building diet and a consciousness work diet? I notice when I eat a lot I feel tired and this messes up my yoga sessions, etc. Anyone else here bulking and are able to do it while maintaining their mental clarity? If so what foods are you using? Thanks.

Bulking for the sake of being muscular and consciousness work are two separate paths, perhaps that's why. One being driven by vanity and ego the other by higher values. 

A healthy and strong body as a result of concious eating and concious excercise that is primarily aimed at longevity goes hand in hand with the true spiritual practice : ) .... at least in my opinion. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 Yeah that's what I was thinking about. It's like I want to gain size because I feel insecure about being slim. So its like I know its an entirely egoic pursuit, I don't admire bodybuilding as an art or anything. 

I was very into bodybuilding when I first discovered this work/path. It's kind of fallen by the wayside over time because it seems less and less important. I've lost about 10lb of muscle and gained about 10lb of fat but I still lift and am still in good shape by normal people's standards. I just don't obsess about it anymore. 

A bodybuilding lifestyle and a consciousness work lifestyle are basically at opposite ends of the spectrum from my perspective. I wasn't able to reconcile the differences personally and eventually had to make choices based on what I found to be a higher priority. I'm not saying you have to do the same, I'm just relaying my experience. 

42 minutes ago, Sukhpaal said:

@Michael569 Yeah that's what I was thinking about. It's like I want to gain size because I feel insecure about being slim. So its like I know its an entirely egoic pursuit, I don't admire bodybuilding as an art or anything. 

I was in the same place, crushing down 5000 calories per day, until I asked myself: "Why the fuck am I doing this?" "What are the benefits? Big muscles? What does that gives to me?" Well you might attract more girls and get respected little more, but that needs no muscles, you should be healthy, sporty and fit, but bodybuilding is for insecure people as in longterm It will damage your health and how does It help you? I believe human body thrives with stretching, cardio and bodyweight exercises, bodybuilding has brainwashed society.

I personally chose to do triathlon and other endurance sports, why? It's extremely psychically beneficial and more important, It's more about how strong you are mentally and this is where It connects with consciouss work. When you don't do It to improve your image in others eyes, but to see how far can you go, to push past your minds limits, to break boundaries, to endure any kind of challenges. Not everyone will get this, but this literary transforms you. It teaches you to deal with hard situations, to never give up, to love yourself and understand yourself a lot better. Try running very long distance or cycle 100km alone, you will see what's real consciouss work. 

Best thing I got out from heavy endurance training? You can achieve anything, don't let your mind fool you! You are far more stronger thank you think you are!

Just for shits and giggles, this was me about the time I discovered Leo. 

Edit- was trying to do a before and after but I'm limited on file upload size

Edited by ChimpBrain