Hardik jain

Strong Determination Sitting

33 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Hardik jain said:

@Falk How is standing more difficult? Can you please explain me what are all the kinds of pain you encounter while doing strong determination standing?

Why do you wanna know the kinds of pain? If the pain is strong (after 30-40min it is) ...won´t you do it? 

Set a timer and try 40minutes standing no mooving for yourself (exeptions are: swallow, affective leg moovment to not fall, occasional eye moovement)

Nothing strengthens your willpower and your personality like this practice!!

:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>Small anecdote from my life concerning the practice of sd-standing:

I play badminton with a partner, i usualy loose or go even since he is quite good. This week we played after i did a 1h stand the day before (which made me almost break down in tears of unpleasentness/meaninglessness...fuck i´m a good salesman xD anyways ... i realized how EXTREMELY focused on the game i was!! i WON that fucking game 5:0 !!! this is not a joke! i realized how i usualy react after each point emotionaly and the first time i felt i have strong controll and a crytsall clear sight into my emotions/ almost like i developed a new "sense"  which i think was the main reason i won that game) It was realy cool! and not in a creepy way but i felt quite natural and effortless like i have grown. Next time i might loose again xD The sample-size of experiences related to the practice is too small yet to draw REAL conclusions about its effectiveness , but still a cool anecdote i guess...

Just finished my first SDS of 60 minutes. Ive been practising meditation 20 minutes a day for a year now and wasn't sure if i could make it. Still glowing. Probably the best meditation ever. Actually first time i stayed with my eyes open. I am impressed with experience. Fuck. 

On March 24, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Arik said:

Furthermore

On March 24, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Arik said:

Furthermore my level of dreaming also increased like nuts. I tend to have 4-5 completely high-resolution, very long and intense dreams per night. I guess that's my mind processing all this sitting. It's sometimes strange going to sleep and knowing that you'll just go through a few adventures

Really looking forward to use SDS for my lucid dreaming progress (just started getting into it). 

Is strong determination sitting about sitting in a chair or in a lotus position? I couldn't see that information anywhere.

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

Just watched Leo's video about it again. You can do it both sitting in a chair or in lotus position, just as long as you sit completely still. When you are used to lotus or half-lotus u could do it that way but otherwise a chair is fine.

@Truth I admire your refocus on the true purpose behind a powerful sit.

@Arik I prefer the Do Nothing sit, as well, and I have a question for some insight; maybe if both of you and anyone else can chime in, of course. 

So I've been noticing in my recent sets that after 10 to 15 minutes, I reach the calm and peaceful state where I am almost letting go so I may fall into the nothingness and let it consume me. This is like the breaking point most of the time because I will become aware of being at that point and it will anticlimax, bringing me out of my mind, back into a regular state. 

Question: How do you work on reducing this awareness from awakening after you seem to have already gotten the monkey chatter under control? Is it simply trying not to try, even more so than in the method that is already prevalent to meditation? If so, then damn, I guess J wouldn't be too surprised at such a truth to be confounding. 

Also, does it make sense to begin with the awareness technique and then directing that awareness into the sensations of the self before letting go of awareness into the do-nothing method. I found myself to naturally fall into this routine. 

14 hours ago, ArabiaNytes said:

Question: How do you work on reducing this awareness from awakening after you seem to have already gotten the monkey chatter under control?

You don't, that's the point. B| What you experience right now are glimpses of the meditative state and you see how nice they can be. And of course you want more of them, but as you noticed yourself every time you try to go even deeper into them you just drop out. So what do you do about that?

Well, you just do nothing about it and look deeper into what is happening. Finally you'll find so much beauty in every situation that you don't need the meditative state anymore to be fulfilled with your meditation. You'll come to the point where you just sit down, merge with what is in front of you and whether you are still, your monkey is talking, you're breathing deep or shallow you are just fine with that.

And interestingly I can report that if you do that, you will experience even deeper meditative states.

If meditation had a goal it would probably really be to stop yourself from creating more illusions that you can influence reality and bring you to the point where you just flow with everything there is - because that's what you do either way, whether you want to see it or not. So just relax and have a look. If you want to implement some awareness technique, do that. If you just want to flow, do that. If you just sit, just sit.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

On 5.4.2016 at 7:33 AM, zakur0 said:

Really looking forward to use SDS for my lucid dreaming progress (just started getting into it). 

I can definitely say that strong determination sits will foster your progress with that, because it releases so much awareness that of course also manifests in your dreams. I actually had my first lucid dreaming experience in a time in which I practiced strong determination sits very rigorously. Did extra night sits and all that and it had and still has major influence on my dreams as far as I can see it.

So yeah, that's definitely beneficial.  

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

@Arik

Thank you for your thoughtful response. Your directions are reinforcing to my practice. Sometimes one just needs a little support.

You know somethin, I could liken this path we walk on towards enlightenment to the orbit around a black hole. I suppose the process includes this tedious spin around the parsimomy of attainment, while it's not so obvious. And that moment of enlightenment, well we can't know what's in a black hole until we've been through it.

On 24. maaliskuuta 2016 at 10:50 PM, Falk said:

Set a timer and try 40minutes standing no mooving for yourself (exeptions are: swallow, affective leg moovment to not fall, occasional eye moovement)

So you are allowed to swallow your drool when it gathers in your mouth?

I tried strong determination sitting yesterday so that I didn't even allow myself to swallow. Honestly, the hardest part of it was the sensation of drool in my mouth. I managed to do it for 27 minutes.

Today I managed to do it 50 minutes while swallowing, and it was easy. I don't get many pains or itches during the meditation, but the sensation of drool annoys me quite much. So If I'm allowed to swallow then no problem, but if not, then it's harder.

I've noticed that strong determination sitting made me much more tolerant to emotions (not so much to physical feelings maybe).

For example, if I have an emotion that would tear me apart when I was 18-20, now I look at it and think: "Pff, that's nothing. I can live with that. I've seen much worse" (meaning the suffering during meditations). I can even play with strong emotions - dive in them or just let them happen, keep doing nothing, not resisting to them, letting this body to live in whatever emotions are present. Much more tolerant to emotions and independent from thought-emotion-tought-emotion cycles.

Negative emotions are like spiders. You can be terrified by any tiny spider in your bathroom when you are a kid, but then you become a veterinarian who works with spiders, and your attitude and point of view on spiders radically change. You still acknowledge that they are supposed to be disgusting, but now you know them so well and have so much experience interracting with them, that you even enjoy being around disgusting spiders. It's almost like they are not even disgusting to you at all. You can also enjoy the absence of your dependence from the fear of spiders.

So, emotions are like spiders and becoming a veterinarian is like becoming a meditator. If you meditate, your attitude to negative emotions change. You now have direct experience and true knowledge of your emotions (became a professional veterinarian), so you do not have to fear them anymore, and, therefore, you do not have to be depended on them.

The more the pain in SDS, the more encounters with disgusting spiders happen, and the less depended from them you become.

On 15.4.2016 at 8:24 AM, str4 said:

So you are allowed to swallow your drool when it gathers in your mouth?

I tried strong determination sitting yesterday so that I didn't even allow myself to swallow. Honestly, the hardest part of it was the sensation of drool in my mouth. I managed to do it for 27 minutes.

Today I managed to do it 50 minutes while swallowing, and it was easy. I don't get many pains or itches during the meditation, but the sensation of drool annoys me quite much. So If I'm allowed to swallow then no problem, but if not, then it's harder.

Yep same with me ..if the water or "drool" as you call it (i didnt know the word for it since im not a native english speaker) gets more it is annoying, i did sessions where i didnt swallow 60min and then my mouth was complete full xD after i did it i knew i can do it and now i usually swallow , but jeah it takes even more concentration and it is good to do it without swallow at least once or twice to know if you can manage it...

First time I did  sds last summer I sat something like 75 minutes. It wasn't that difficult until after 60 minutes. First 5-10 were anxious + couple hard moments here and there. After and hour I was like Stephen Hawking in his roller chair (I used a chair) because I had slowly relaxed more and more and couldn't keep the posture straight. I hope that's allowed though.

Last minutes were very painful. These very strong requests to move popped up every say 20 seconds. Just before I gave up I reacted to one of these "requests" with spontaneous laugh. Such spontaneus that I didn't count that as a 'fail'. Then another one came, again spontaneus laugh and then I finally gave up. I found the situation with my posture and all so hilarious.

I didn't experience any enlightenment thing though. Also there's just traditional willpower in play obviously. But I couldn't do 75 minutes just by willpower. I had to somehow handle this "requests" to move. I wasn't using any particular technique. I believe it was some kind of combination of Do Nothing, mindfulness and concentration on your breath. 

But here comes the best part though...

I went on to do my usual stuff, playing football (soccer) with friends and grab a beer afterwards. I was in a very good mood, but obviously in a traditional-not enlightened-way. After I came back home I got one of my strongest if not the strongest stress impulses (specific one, long story, planning to discuss that elsewhere here in the forum). Ive had that several times before and it wasn't any stronger this time, but my response to it was somewhat interesting.

I started to laugh spontaneously. I ended up laying on my bed just laughing. The more stress came in, the more it 'tickled' me. I believe that's more healthier way to react to stress. 

Edited by LateBloomer