Tony 845

Phscosis & strong determination sitting???

14 posts in this topic

Can this actually happen or is this just some b.s. Just to scare people? @Leogura 

Psychosis * I meant to say

Edited by Tony 845
Grammar

@Mikael89 yeah I've looked into it a little, one lady went on a vipassana retreat then went through psychosis after apparently, but who knows, for me I'll take my chances at this point, I deal with some shitty anxiety..

@Tony 845 if you have mental demons then it's to be expected. These practices are meant to purge the fuck out of your ego, and if you have a strong ego (anyone bellow stage yellow) then your ego will scream hard when you'll purge him. 

@Mikael89

Edited by MrDmitriiV

"It is the emptiness within the cup that makes it useful."

SD sits are a hardcore method for digging out the corners of your psyche.....the places that never get touched when you do your ordinary sweeping and dusting in there. These are the places that have been there, untouched, possibly since childhood or adolescence. It's always going to involve discomfort to see this stuff and deal with it, and you have to be ready for what it throws at you. If someone goes into it knowing this and expecting this, he/she will be far more apt to be skillful when this dirty gunk gets dug out of the corners. Someone who isn't expecting it might flip out when a huge pile of smelly childhood slime gets slung across the windshield of their mind. 

Yeah, it's possible to experience psychosis after a meditation retreat.

You may want to read Rethinking Madness by Paris Williams in order to understand what a psychosis is. It's possible that the person is passing through a spiritual crisis. When the person pass through a spiritual crisis without observing the ego, it's called psychosis.

SDS combined with nofap gave me a state that was very close to psychosis. It's quite possible. Especially if you have anxiety. But I quickly recovered and it was okay.

It doesn't matter that much what is possible. What really matters is how you will react on lots of SDS. Experiment with duration and quantity of your practice. Try some SDS and see what is your backlash level afterwards. Then decide if you have to practice more or less.

You have to find the acceptible level of butthurt, it has to be easy enough to not quit and hard enough to grow.

Don't worry so much, the chances that you will go nuts if you are not schizophrenic or something are not that big. If you will monitor your state and not push yourself too much it most likely won't cause psychosis. That's your anxiety mostly that tries to stop you.

Also you have to be mindful that SDS is a heavy shit, you have to be ready to face heavy emotions if you want to practice that brutal way.

Edited by Privet

@Privet I'm at 2 hours & 15 mintutes, if I haven't lost my shit yet I should be good ??? defiantly my ego doesn't want me to keep pushing forward, it knows I'm making progress & will do anything to sideline me.

@Tony 845 I had psychosis-like state when I did 3-6 hour's a day for a couple of weeks and relapsed nofap after 22 day nightmare streak, and it was mostly related to nofap, I guess all my testosterone suddenly aromatized into estrogen because of the relapse and I got some real hormone toxicosis + the enormous ego backlash because of lots of meditation and shamanic breathing. Don't worry, you seem to be more responsible. :D

Edited by Privet

Holy crap, I did that shamanic breathing thing I think on the very first day he posted it here, but I did 40 minutes of it, and it was like a decent dose of mushrooms. Totally psychedelic and it felt like a huge release, but pretty scary breathing like that for 40 minutes. I can imagine a person could have some kind of psychotic episode if they did that every day. I doubt it was your seared meditation. That's just my guess, though. 

I've personally never sat through SDS, however I've heard stories of long meditation sittings where people have sat for hours and psychosis kicked in due to "overthinking" or "spiritual emergency". DONT LET YOUR EGO GET IN YOUR WAY!

If it feels dangerous to you, chances are your gut feeling is right.