Pernani

Tao te ching, which translation is the best?

8 posts in this topic

I wanna read this book, but there's a shitton of diff versions with diff translations, and with translation a lot of the meaning is lost or distorted from the original, so which do you recommend ?

I read the version by Ursula Le Guinn.
It is not a scientific translation, but a compilation of them with the intent of capturing the poetic beauty of the original.
Ursula Le Guinn is a renown author of many bestsellers. You can find this version in PDF on the web.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

Read multiple versions. I like the version by Red Pine. That’s the one I started with. But I’ve read several versions.  And I summarized the entire thing in my Journal Vol. 1.

On 6/30/2018 at 1:27 PM, tsuki said:

I read the version by Ursula Le Guinn.
It is not a scientific translation, but a compilation of them with the intent of capturing the poetic beauty of the original.
Ursula Le Guinn is a renown author of many bestsellers. You can find this version in PDF on the web.

awesome! gonna check that out

18 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Read multiple versions. I like the version by Red Pine. That’s the one I started with. But I’ve read several versions.  And I summarized the entire thing in my Journal Vol. 1.

my to read list is an ever growing library that I'll probably never finish lol, I only got so much time for one book but i think ill check the red pine ver and the ursula guinn

I like the Stephen Mitchell version. His version is easy to read and a has a very modern translation feel to it.

I heard thet Derek Lin have translated the book as is without any bias. 

Edited by Shu

@Prabhaker Thank you very much for these resources.
I really appreciate your contributions to the forum.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2