okulele

Strict vs Free Mediation

8 posts in this topic

In the past I have been very deliberate about my mediation. I would choose a technique and a set time and be very sure to bust it out. Lately I allow it to be more free. I sit down with no real technique in mind. I mostly just sit, sometimes scan my body if I feel like it, sometimes go into inquiry or some sort of contemplation if that seems attractive. It feels very good, but am I not missing out on some huge gains by being strict with one particular method?

What are your thoughts about it?

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

"Different practises work for different people at different times" - Shinzen Young

Heres my spin of another Shinzen quote I cant quite find right now:

"If concentrating makes you tense, try do nothing. If do nothing makes you lazy, try concentrating"

Edited by molosku

1 hour ago, molosku said:

"If concentrating makes you tense, try do nothing. If do nothing makes you lazy, try concentrating"

That's kind of what I have been doing I guess.

49 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@okulele Just bask in the sweet peace and bliss of nonduality. It is nice to know!! Isn’t it?

Well of course, it is so pleasurable to sit in my own being. That is why I am reluctant to do for example labeling or concentrating, as that seems like a drag. But my concern is whether it would not be also beneficial to develop a skill like deep concentration on an object or something of that sorts.

Can you identify every movement of thought in movement? 

What are you intending to get from this? 

I wondered the same thing over the weekend. Noting and labeling is my normal practice, but sometimes I more enjoy sitting and watching the movies in my mind, so I wonder if switching it to "do nothing" every so often is detrimental to my regular routine. Seems like 2 techniques would be.....not ideal.

3 hours ago, okulele said:

In the past I have been very deliberate about my mediation.Great

I would choose a technique and a set time and be very sure to bust it out. Bust it out makes me wonder if maybe you’re thinking of the practices as work to be done, so you can feel better - feel happier. It is the practices themselves which feel good to do. The difference is a tiny nuance, which shapes your entire world view. 

Lately I allow it to be more free.  I sit down with no real technique in mind. I mostly just sit, sometimes scan my body if I feel like it, sometimes go into inquiry or some sort of contemplation if that seems attractive. It feels very good, but am I not missing out on some huge gains by being strict with one particular method?

”Gains”

The practices are not about gains, the practices are about the Truth. Deconstructing done to nothing. This is a peaceful process. This is an enjoyable process. It’s your time. Time just for you. 

What are your thoughts about it?

I know I’m direct and I know it seems critical. If it helps, great, if it doesn’t, ignore me. ❤️

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Thank you all. I see it is just more doubts and drama from the mind. It got me again :)