John Iverson

do they have a legit spiritual practice? By having this

5 posts in this topic

Bhakti, Kirtan, chanting Mantra can play a great role in spiritual growth. I don't think this is path of meditation, but it is popular spiritual practice in India. They are giving you a free meal too. So, enjoy it ! 

it's community spiritual practice, yoga, changing, meditation and a free meal

just GO dude.

I lived in a Hare Krishna community for some time.

It is all about bhakti (devotion) and karma (work). Their kirtans are amazing and I got a real nice example of what devotion is all about in there. There is a sort of meditation - mantra mediation - which is repeating "Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare".

That being said carefull! I have seen a lot of young people being completely fooled by the philosophy, worshiping the guru (Prabhupáda) and just being lost in the secterian side of it. Don't get pulled in blindly. Especially the guru claiming his lineage is the only spiritual path and all that kind of bullshit...

Have fun,  maybe your community will be a little different, but don't be surprised if there are sectarian aspects to it.

Hare Krishna :D

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

Careful with the Hare Krishnas. They have a big collective ego and they will brainwash you with their dogmas. Regardless of any spiritual benefits which you might accrue (and there probably are some great spiritual benefits to their practices).

You want to be spiritual without becoming a group-think zombie.

Practices alone are not the only factor. The other factor that's really important is inclusiveness and broad understanding of all spiritual traditions, without attachment to any particular one.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.