WildeChilde

Will Death/The Afterlife Always Remain a Mystery for the Living?

9 posts in this topic

Even hypothetically, could there be a way to gain insight into what happens to awareness after the passing of the physical body?

If we could one day revive people shortly after brain death, would their accounts be of relevance?

I've remained pretty much agnostic on this issue for a long time, and I haven't come across a reason to change honestly.  What are your thoughts?

"You will soon be going about like the converted, and the revivalist, warning people against all the sins of which you have grown tired."- Oscar Wilde

Awaken first, then revisit your question.

Life/death is a duality.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura But your body is still there during the awakening right?  When you uploaded your live experience a while back, you were enlightened, but we could clearly see your body was still there.  I'm but Leoing here I admit, but it seems to me that it's an extrapolation to draw conclusions about death from an experience that happened while alive.  I'm very open to it, but I'm afraid I'm going to delude myself or develop false hopes in the process.  

@Crazy_Monkey_Brain How can we equate an ego death with the physical death of the body?

"You will soon be going about like the converted, and the revivalist, warning people against all the sins of which you have grown tired."- Oscar Wilde

@Leo Gura yes, but we can still talk about the phenomena of death, and that is a mystery even after enlightenment. 

This will not be understood at the level of consciousness (duality) from which you're asking the question.

You're asking the question from the POV of the self. There is no such thing. You were never born and will never die. It's impossible to understand this unless the illusion of duality and self is totally shattered.

Talking about this is pointless. Go do your practices.

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

This will not be understood at the level of consciousness (duality) from which you're asking the question.

You're asking the question from the POV of the self. There is no such thing. You were never born and will never die.

Things still arise in consciousness, and one thing that arises is death of a life that yes the mind has come up with, and that may be due to the condition of the mind from a previous life, perhaps, but this is the question. Duality is what makes life life, even if it's ultimatelity nondual. The mind generates dualities, like life and death. The mechanism behind this generation is still a mystery, partly because yes, there is no self, there is no you in control as an ultimate planner, it's just consciousness expressing itself. This is how I see it at this point, which I think is important to say, and given that you have changed your mind on things you have seemingly presented as knowing absolutely, what about actually admitting that you don't really know? You are speaking from the human mind, and also thinking and interpreting with the human mind.

There is nothing which isn't a mystery. Reality is fundamentally unknowable.

But you can be conscious of nonduality, in which there is no life/death, or any other duality, and none of these dualistic questions.

See for yourself.

@WildeChilde The mythical tales of the spirit realm from many cultures... the differences and similarities are amazing to discover.... so are the stories from those that have passed, and returned at a higher state of consciousness.... so many stories of terminally ill humans, leaving their bodies, then returning to them with profound messages to help us actualize... Leo is likely right, that we should go do our practices... but from my current POV exploring this may be a part of our practices too :)