herghly

10 day vipassana meditation retreat

8 posts in this topic

I recently did a 10 day vipassana meditation retreat . I have no idea where to begin , still putting my thoughts together 

if you haven't done a retreat yet please just fucking do it , make time it's a worthy investment 

the retreat was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be and a lot more REWARDING than I thought it would be

maybe in a few days as I gather my thoughts il update this post . If anyone had any questions about retreats you are welcome to ask :)

Do you think one can legitimately practise vipassana at home without going on a reatreat first? I have heard such purist-type of opinions from serious practisioners

@molosku  I think it might not be necessary but it definitely helps . Meditation is a skill , like any skill you want to go and learn from professsionals 

What about farts and growling stomachs in the room? I have a 7-day retreat in May (my first ever), and that was one of the things I was wondering about. My stomach is kinda noisy sometimes in the mornings!   :D

Also, did anyone freak out during the week? "Screw this!!!!" and get up and walk out?  

@PsiloPutty during my 10-day retreat, only about 5% of people left over the 10 days. Very quietly, no one disturbed the peace.

@molosku Part of the reason it is so purist is that they ask the students not to share the technique. That's because the person hearing it from a second source only gets the technique and misses out the experience of the retreat itself. You can legitimately practice it, but you'll not experience the silence and simplicity of life without at least a 7-day retreat. It's not all about the technique, the experience of solitude is very important. 

Edited by Staples

Absolutely @Staples modern  society has lost the value of solitude, stillness speaks.

what are the chances of being accepted to vipassana if your on the waiting list?