Manjushri

Mental states, lower/higher consciousness

5 posts in this topic

I can't decide whether I'm bullshitting myself with these distinctions, and furthering my delusion.  But, the difference between the premeditative and the postmeditative experience is obviously existent. One we can call lower, and the other higher state of being. But isn't it just higher because I give it the advantage over the lower? Both are just states, experience. The first is a bit more narrow, dull, I'm unaware in it, toxic, ,don't want to actualize nor transcend in it, get caught up easier in my minds bullshit,wanna do anything but feel the present moment,etc. But still, it's all just experience. its my ego making the distinction : oh this is good, oh this is bad. And the aversion towards this 'lower' state is often what pushes me to the cushion.

This has been bothering me a bit. So why are we pursuing the 'higher' then? 

14 hours ago, Gligorije said:

Psychological time ‘the moment of becoming’ brings about a sense of security, hope, or that there is that goody at the end of the tunnel. Somthing to look forward to that might solve that particular problem or problems. 

This movement is the product of thinking. Brings about a sense of permanence to the ego/thought. The continuity of will, desire, effort to achieve that goal sustains the validity  and permanence to the ego. That is the purpose of ego/thought. To solve problems.

No problems no use for thought. 

If there are no problems thought will create them to sustain its own movement and process. 

You will see that the higher and lower are only forms of measure. That’s how thought works. Just like your said about duality between good and bad. 

If there is a motive to achieve a higher state you will always be let down and in a prepetual state of conflict. 

Because thought/ego thrives off conflict.

pretty cool how it works actually?

Edited by Faceless

its more about practice than picking the right thought, or sensation. "Higher" Self can feel like ass however we can only access these states of higher self when you're comfortable at the physical level, any discomfort will generate negative reaction bc we don't understand the essence of thoughts at the practical level

21 hours ago, Gligorije said:

To maintain the cycle.
The lower is the receptive one. The one that follows. It thrives in order. The "unconscious" one.
The higher is the leading one. The one that creates. It thrives in chaos. The "conscious" one.

The lower one needs a discipline to become the higher. The higher needs expression to become the lower.
When the lower resists discipline, it stays low. When higher resists expression, it stays high.

Being high is not the ultimate goal. When you stay high too long, chaos becomes the order of things and your life falls apart. 
Being low is not the ultimate goal. Death is the ultimate stability.

Seeking of the higher self is an expression of the lower self.
If you mistake the cycle (or simply change) for progress, you always seek the higher self as the other always seems better than the current.
Progress in this sense is simply observing the cycle and letting it run.
Once you let go and let the lower and higher do their things, the cycle speeds up and life "smooths" out.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2