Philip

What Are Your Top 10 Values ?

54 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, FindingPeace said:

I like watching a good movie but do I value it as fundamental to my life?

@FindingPeace If we take Leo's work as a reference, then he would say this probably isn't an authentic value, because it's a pretty low consciousness one. It's about excitement, stimulation and distraction. Not true fulfillment. It's just fine, no problem with watching a good movie every once in a while. But don't make your life about it either. That's kind of his view on the subject.

But don't worry man, you didn't fall into that trap AT ALL. The traps you may have possibly fell into (I don't know) are the trap of having overlapping values, or maybe the trap of being too vague and abstract, to the point you can't really measure how good you are at embodying those values.

For example, that's why I didn't choose Authenticity. Because, at this point in my journey, I have no god damn fucking idea what authenticity might look like for me in concrete terms.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

@Veggies make me fart I think your weaknesses and life circumstances shouldn't limit you when you choose your values. The only criteria is authenticity. It doesn't need to be a value you are already able to embody.

For example, my first one is consciousness. But am I really conscious ? Not only do I think I'm not that conscious, I don't even know how unconscious I am. Even worse, I don't know if I know how conscious I am ! I'm just a big mess of uncertainty hahaha, but high consciousness still seems like the most fulfilling state I can imagine, so...

Right! I now got a better picture of what I originally meant:

values = aspirations

Whether they're strengths or weaknesses. Also, sometimes it comes off a little hypocritical when someone reminds you of their value, saying that “Mhhhh! Always hire well” but he/she hires badly himself/herself. Nothing wrong with aspiring to catch the bottlenecks though.

P.S. Good luck! Drugs and alcohol are enemies of the value of yours.

Excellence is the same as habit. When you constantly do something, you might become excellent at it. -Aristotle

@Veggies make me fart Yeah ! In fact, whoever says "Mhhhh! Always hire well!" is a bit condescending. Because they make it sound like it's so easy, like you should have already gotten it by now. They neglect the fact that you're already doing your best. And that maybe you're just focusing on other aspects of your development right now.

But when THEY cannot even do it well ! Then that become hypocritical to a pathetic point haha.

So, people, I know it's hard for some of you but when you give advice, please respect the efforts that the person's already making...

1. Acceptance - To accept myself for what I am, and grow/change the things I am not happy with.

2. growth/education - to continue my education and grow as an individual, as a parent, and as an artist

3. creative - continue to be creative without the fear of being judged. Not letting this fear squash my creativeness

4. family - continue to try to be the best mom I can be, be a great role model for my kids, help them with any tools they need to find their own greatness.

5. honesty- try to always remain honest, and encourage others to do the same

6. Independence - Don't rely on other people to get what I need and can do on my own.  Ask for help when needed but use the help/information to acquire my own independence.

7. kindness/compassion - be sympathetic and helpful to others

8. openmindedness - keep an open mind, don't judge others, but try to understand them.

9. self control - try to resist temptations that may keep me from my goals, or keep me from being the best I can be.

10. Responsibility - have control over myself, and my career.Be accountable for my actions.

Thanks for reading!

Chaos

Dominance

TRUTH 

Love

Self expression

Should I separate lower stuff from higher values? 

For I love them both.

Edited by Yog-sothoth

My Top 10 Values (in order of precedence):

1. Creativity - Being original and imaginative for the purpose of expansion, expression, and contribution to the world.
  2. Excellence - Doing things or creating things of greatness or merit in order to have high quality results, thus enhancing life.
  3. Beauty - Anything having an appealing or interesting form that gives joy or delight to someone. Similar to excellence except this tends to relate more to either art or natural beauty as opposed to actions or work.
  4. Passion - Zest for life and savoring many things in life, plus doing what's meaningful to you.
  5. Independence - Being free and self-reliant, in regards to both mind and body. Having options and an abundance of resources.
  6. Strength - Not just mental and physical health, but mental and physical brilliance. Having the well-being to prosper.
  7. Love - I'll just take this definition from the dictionary: "an intense feeling of deep affection." Can be related to many things: intimacy, friendship, spirituality, etc.
  8. Peace - From the external peace of tranquil environments and lack of wars/violence to the internal peace of oneness: order, harmony, and serenity.
  9. Generosity - Genuinely caring about the well-being of others. Making choices that are for the greater good. Giving, being thoughtful and compassionate, and understanding how to empathize.
  10. Adventure - Exploring and experiencing life. Living a charged life. Travel. The Hero's Journey. Etc.
Edited by Robert

The man who changes the world is the man who changes himself.

@Zane Nice! I'm glad you agree. :)

The man who changes the world is the man who changes himself.

Security
Family
Peace of mind
Growth
Self Awareness
Financial Wealth(just to invest in experiences and basic needs)

@sjonesartist @asgard94 @d1ajax @Markus

Including definitions of each value, like you did, is actually a great idea ! It makes your list clearer, more concrete, more precise and it also prevents contradiction or overlapping. So here's my new list :

Consciousness : To concretely understand important truths about reaching happiness.

Contribution : To significantly increase the overall happiness of conscious beings.

Peace Of Mind : To remain calm, content and accepting towards any situation.

Connection : To deeply listen and be deeply listened to, with compassion, understanding and openness.

Ambition : To honestly aim for the most grandiose and incredible vision I can come up with.

Creativity : To continually blend other people's ideas or creation together so I can generate original ones for myself.

Personal Growth : To always search for ways to get out of my comfort zone.

Excellence : To fully reach the level of quality I've set for my creations.

Honesty : To say what's compatible with, and representative of, what I believe.

Independence : To make my decisions unaffected by other people or by life circumstances.

@Philip Excellent values! My personal favorites are creativity, personal growth, independence, excellence, connection, peace of mind and contribution. 

On 3/16/2016 at 9:57 PM, Philip said:

Independence : To make my decisions unaffected by other people or by life circumstances.

Hey man, 

I used to affirm that also, until I realized it's in negative form. not dependant.

Affirmation work only in positive form.

@Actualizer If you're refering to Leo's work though, one of his favorite affirmations was "I'm independent of the good or the bad opinion of others"

So I think the important thing is the picture that comes to mind when you say the sentence. For example, it seems to me that "I'm not poor" brings to mind a picture of poorness. Of lack.

"I'm unaffected" seems to evoke detachment, freedom.

But the interpretations I just made are quite subjective and easily debatable. So feel free to develop your opinion, I always love it when people challenge my ideas.

And thanks for trying help :)