NathanR

Plant-Based Powerlifting/Bodybuilding

10 posts in this topic

I've been following Leo's videos for a while and never posted but this weeks video about health really struck a chord with me. I am a competitive power lifter and know that eating a whole food plant based diet is the best for your health, but how does one balance being an athlete with it? I was especially taken aback when Leo mentioned he hasn't been in the gym in over a year and it made me realize that a lot of his audience isn't into fitness other than basic weight loss. 

Pretty much I would like to know if anyone has any tips or information concerning a high calorie diet that's needed for strength training while remaining plant-based and healthy. It feels like I either have to choose being strong against being healthy. 

Thanks, and forgive me if i broke any rules, this is my first post.

Don't got much experience with that, but I've been following Rob Stuart for some time and he has a few videos about gaining/maintaining muscle. His focus is skin health, but also just holistic health.

3 hours ago, Huginn said:

Don't got much experience with that, but I've been following Rob Stuart for some time and he has a few videos about gaining/maintaining muscle. His focus is skin health, but also just holistic health.

Thank You

@NathanR I work out every morning and I eat plant based / raw foods. Protein and calorie wise, raw meal shakes are easy & taste great. Fake meats from the frozen foods section are getting better all the time too, taste wise. Many are high in protein. Vega bars are pricey but taste best Imo. I’m at about a 2% increase in weight lifted every few months though - not a competitive builder clip. I’m just doing about 30 mins a day. Here’s an explanation though from someone at a professional level, going vegan. Congrats on makin health & environment moves man. 

https://www.forksoverknives.com/vegan-bodybuilder-plant-based-diet/#gs.ZcxtuNM

Here’s some vegan pro level builders with some useful insights on going from meat to plant based.

https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/google-employees-are-eating-less-meat

Google’s started the slow change over too btw.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

As a powerlifter you might be interested in Patrik Baboumian who thrives on a concious plant based diet. 

You are making the right choice and you can have all the nutrients you need. In facts, plant based diet eaters have generally higher intake of all micro nutrients than omnivores. At least those who are at least slightly interested in what they eat. 

To keep motivated and educated here are some people you may want to check out:

• Powerlifting - Patrik Baboumian
  • Fitness, Diet, Bodybybuilding - Simnet Nutrition , Jon Venus, 
  • Compassion - Earthling Ed, James Aspey, Gary Yourofsky
  • Science - Dr Michael Greger (nutritionfacts.org), Dr Neal Barnard, Dr Joel Fuhrman, Dr Brenda Davis, Mic The Vegan
  • Drama and fun - Vegan Gains

From a personal experience of someone who has been in fitness for 15 years (plant based for past 12 months only), I can say you can only gain, once you rid yourself of all the animal food you will discover a true beauty of plant based meals and your energy levels will skyrocket. 

Good book sto get you started: How Not to Die and How Not to Die: Coockbook from Dr Greger. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

15 hours ago, Nahm said:

@NathanR I work out every morning and I eat plant based / raw foods. Protein and calorie wise, raw meal shakes are easy & taste great. Fake meats from the frozen foods section are getting better all the time too, taste wise. Many are high in protein. Vega bars are pricey but taste best Imo. I’m at about a 2% increase in weight lifted every few months though - not a competitive builder clip. I’m just doing about 30 mins a day. Here’s an explanation though from someone at a professional level, going vegan. Congrats on makin health & environment moves man. 

https://www.forksoverknives.com/vegan-bodybuilder-plant-based-diet/#gs.ZcxtuNM

Here’s some vegan pro level builders with some useful insights on going from meat to plant based.

Google’s started the slow change over too btw.

6 hours ago, Michael569 said:

As a powerlifter you might be interested in Patrik Baboumian who thrives on a concious plant based diet. 

You are making the right choice and you can have all the nutrients you need. In facts, plant based diet eaters have generally higher intake of all micro nutrients than omnivores. At least those who are at least slightly interested in what they eat. 

To keep motivated and educated here are some people you may want to check out:

• Powerlifting - Patrik Baboumian
  • Fitness, Diet, Bodybybuilding - Simnet Nutrition , Jon Venus, 
  • Compassion - Earthling Ed, James Aspey, Gary Yourofsky
  • Science - Dr Michael Greger (nutritionfacts.org), Dr Neal Barnard, Dr Joel Fuhrman, Dr Brenda Davis, Mic The Vegan
  • Drama and fun - Vegan Gains

From a personal experience of someone who has been in fitness for 15 years (plant based for past 12 months only), I can say you can only gain, once you rid yourself of all the animal food you will discover a true beauty of plant based meals and your energy levels will skyrocket. 

Good book sto get you started: How Not to Die and How Not to Die: Coockbook from Dr Greger. 

Thank You so much for the resources guys that's way more than i hoped for.

I agree with Michael569 and am quite aware of all the Youtubers he mentioned. In addition, I would like to add to look for MuscleNBody who recently became vegan and body building is a priority to him.

- Fenugreek (sprouted seeds)

- Lupin flour, for cakes, it's a flower.

- Chia seeds, put into a vegetable milk then wait few hours and it transform into a sort of yogurt

Soy Tempeh for protein. 

"Garden of Life" Raw Organic Protein Powder/Meal -- can get at Better Health or Meijjers. 

However, I found I could have 75/90g, compared to my 140g and made same gains. The nutrition on a vegan diet surpasses. Along with intermittent fasting, you'll be unstoppable. 

@NathanR People have already given you great information, I will just list some of my staple meals:

• Oatmeal, a fruit of your choice (banana/orange/strawberries/apples etc), walnuts, almonds, ground flax seed, chia seeds and soy milk.
  • Brown rice, beans/chickpeas/lentils, a bunch of greens, a sauce of tahini, lemon, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
  • Whole wheat pasta with pesto sauce.
  • Potato wedges, with BBQ tofu.

Those are just some basic ingredients, feel free to play around with your recipes.