Mrkvn8

Don't fall into "Mental Masturbation" with Theory Trap

9 posts in this topic

I read only a couple of books on Leo's booklist, but didn't spend more time reading because I thought if I read too much without taking perfect notes or taking massive action, it was a waste  

In hindsight, reading like 20 books even with no notes, is way more ideal, and not mental masturbating for a noob. You NEED IT FOR WISDOM. Don't let the "mental masturbation" excuse keep you from reading. Set your expectations high for the booklist - at least 1hr reading a day.

Gentle Reminder. 

books can only provide knowledge based on other people's perspectives and experiences.  when we apply this knowledge through trial and error to our lives only then can we acquire wisdom...

Reading lots of books filled with ideas and allowing them to occupy the mind conceptualizing into paradigms that the ego identifies with is mental masturbation.

35 minutes ago, SOUL said:

Reading lots of books filled with ideas and allowing them to occupy the mind conceptualizing into paradigms that the ego identifies with is mental masturbation.

People learn about enlightenment and then start engaging in this sort of black and white thinking: books are just mental masturbation.

If you don't know how to make use of books, you aren't avoiding mental masturbation, you are just swinging your pendulum in the opposite extreme.

This work requires nuance.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Mrkvn8 Yes, you're right. Taking copious notes is not necessary and sometimes too cumbersome. Trust that as you read, your mind will connect the important dots. You don't need to go out of your way to memorize this material as though it were a high school history class.

Read, enjoy, connect the dots, and apply. Take notes on only the KEY GEMS. Underline passages in books, which is much faster than taking notes, and almost as good.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

There's other ways of gaining knowledge. You can read Leo's book list, or you can spend an hour in a buddhist class, or hang out with a group of hippies, or sit in nature for 2 hours. Nature speaks great lengths if you listen to it. 

You don't need to spend 1 hour reading a day, that's just 1 tiny way out of many for allowing your subconscious to 'connect the dots'

@Leo Gura very good wisdom. Yeah, I would highlight all the minute bullshit. The gems is a good reminder, thank you for the feedback.

You need just enough theory to be able to blast off.  Everyone is gonna need something to do this eventually.  I spent a year on theory.  You need to come to the conclusion that Enlightenment is about liberating you from the Mind, not chaining you to it.  But you can only come to that when it is time for you.  It's an insight, an epiphany you will have.  You can't rush a plant to grow by pulling on it.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

this sort of black and white thinking

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

This work requires nuance.

I encourage you to be aware of nuance with what I said.

As someone who sells a book list you have incentive to defend reading lots of books so it doesn't surprise me you noticed my comment even though you misunderstood it.

Edited by SOUL