Max_V

Pseudo-sleepiness as an ego defense mechanism

7 posts in this topic

Every time I sit down to self-inquire or read books related to consciousness/enlightenment-work, for some reason I lose all my focus and automatically become very tired. 

I have an energy problem in general that I’m dealing with right now, but even when I do all of this in the morning, I still automatically become sleepy.

If this an ego defense-mechanism, what is the best way in going about tackeling this pseudo sleepiness?

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

@Max_V Yeah, I used to get that a lot. It's a very sneaky defense mechanism. The more you practice, the more you break it down.

Doing the work right after a nap is a good trick. But watch how the ego tricks your trick. It will come up with excuses for why not to self-inquire after a good nap. So if it's not sleepiness, there will come up some other "legit" excuse.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Mighty MouseAlright, I will try taking naps. Means I have to set up my schedule differently.

@Leo Gura It's indeed very interesting to experience this for myself, puts the concept of Self-Deception in a whole different context.

Edited by Max_V

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

@Max_V I have the same issue, but mostly when reading. Have you noticed a certain self-image when reading? If you do, focus on it and identify what it represents. Could be some artifacts of studying and pressure in school. I also see that my body tenses up when I do stuff I‘m not used to, so I shake my body for a few seconds and breath in deeply to release it and energize.

• Just stretch until your mind is clear.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Max_V I have the same thing happen with working out and meditation. I think being aware of it helps. I’ve always just told myself that I’ll feel better once I exercise and stuff and after I push through that barrier my ego sort of gives in an accepts it. 

@Max_V Watch yourself like a hawk. How your body does it’s routines just to get out of the danger zones. Watch yourself with compassion, warmth, and welcome and all.