xXxXx

Yoga Practice At Home? Any Experience?

28 posts in this topic

Anyone practicing yoga? I wonder if establishing yoga practice at home is worth trying, i recently got interested in it. Unfortunately i rely on flexibility, attending a yoga class every week on a fixed time is nearly impossible for me. Has anyone got recommendations for good online classes or books? Does it even make sense without a teacher?

Try her channel out. I used her videos to get a little bit into yoga and I liked it, but I am not sure if it's risky to do yoga without a real instructor and observer or not. Just watch out for yourself and do nothing dangerous or which is too hard or painful.

Check this channel out, maybe you'd like the beginner classes as well as the step by step course.  https://www.youtube.com/user/YogaIntervals19/playlists

I believe home yoga is definitely worth trying, especially if you can't fit the classes into your schedule. At home you choose what to work on, how long, with/without music and so on. I absolutely agree with The Alchemist though. An effective home practice depends on your level. For this reason I think classes shouldn't be underestimated: a teacher can help you learn different techniques and show you how to move correctly; in a group you can "test" what you've learned during your home practice: do I make progress, am I being present despite of what's happening around me, etc.

Edited by Ivelina

I'm also interested and I could go to classes. There are lots of places here. Going to a class to begin is definitely advised right? My plan is to go to classes and when I like it and I'm confident with it integrate it into my morning routine. I don't have to go to yoga classes just to do yoga, it's just to learn how to do it correctly?

@A Lone Wanderer Yes, classes are great for that. A good teacher plays a significant role, especially when you are making the first steps with yoga :)

There are soo many alternatives nowadays, indeed, you can try out almost every yoga type, including some new ones such as bikram yoga (that's crazy :D). You should have clear objectives when choosing a course. For example, if you want to focus on spirituality -> Kundalini and not some fancy Vinyasa  Power Flow. If you want something soft and slow, Yin Yoga. You want to learn the physical techniques only -> Hatha or maybe Ashtanga. 

I am not sure if I agree with your last statement. Class practice and home practice are different, you can learn a lot from both, I would even suggest that they enhance each other. Besides, so much changes constantly in our bodies and minds that I am not even sure if you can learn how to do eveyrhing once and for all, it is a never-ending process of learning. If you practice mindfully on a regular basis, you'll discover something new about your world every time you step on the mat.  At least that's what I feel!

I love doing yoga at home. Having a nice green tea before concentrating on myself and connect with myself. I LOVE YOGA

@Ivelina I'm mainly looking for something to keep me fit and stretch my body and make it more flexible. I can't even reach my feet with my hands anymore. I can only get to 10cm above ground :/. I like simple things without lots of bells and whistles around it. So I guess I will look for Hatha or Ashtanga Yoga classes in Bangkok.

On 28.2.2016 at 6:47 PM, Locooig said:

Anyone practicing yoga? I wonder if establishing yoga practice at home is worth trying, i recently got interested in it. Unfortunately i rely on flexibility, attending a yoga class every week on a fixed time is nearly impossible for me. Has anyone got recommendations for good online classes or books? Does it even make sense without a teacher?

I would highly recommed to make some retreat for beginners. For a few days will suffice. Or subscribe in your local area for entry lessons. This will prevent you from making beginner mistakes. It's really the best option.

Once you have the basics in, you can work at home.

~ Chris

Edited by Isle of View

@Love Sounds great! And don't give up if you don't see any physical changes at first, it might take months! But you'll probably experience some mental shifts if you approach yoga with the right intention. ^_^

1 hour ago, Isle of View said:

I would highly recommed to make some retreat for beginners. For a few days will suffice. Or subscribe in your local area for entry lessons. This will prevent you from making beginner mistakes. It's really the best option.

Once you have the basics in, you can work at home.

~ Chris

Yeah this is it! I didn't think about that, will look for a yoga & meditation retreat during my vacation

Yes, I do kundalini yoga at home. :) I love it. I also go to classes 2 times a week, but other times a week I do it at home. I use youtube and I watch recorded kundalini yoga sets and classes. Love it.

3 hours ago, Ivelina said:

@Dhana Choko Can you recommend a nice Kundalini channel? :)

There are many but I like Shivie Cook :)

I'm not an expert but I understand doing yoga without any supervision at all is a bad idea, you often can't see where you're going wrong and can easily injure yourself. Personally I practice at home, but make sure I go to lessons semi-frequently to keep me on track and iron out my mistakes.

Thanks again for all the posts, i tried a few guided practices on youtube: AWESOME ! !

Most interesting thing is the relaxation and tingling sensation after the stretches, something like the Chi flowing? :)

I do follow the same channel that @The Son suggested. I like her workouts, somehow they are very soothing and make me feel great. I only recently discovered yoga and I feel great every time I do it. I am not sure how dangerous to do it at home yourself, I haven't noticed any issues so far.

Any amount you do is good, but I have found that if I practice at home I usually only go for about 10, 20 or 30 minutes.  When I go to a yoga class it is one hour to 1 1/2 hrs long.  The longer amount dong yoga is just better.  I dont like to push myself at home... so for me, personally, being out at a class with others and a teacher is more influential and more beneficial..

@Ivelina I've been doing Bikram for many years and it isn't crazy. It's actually the best thing that happen to me in the whole life. :P From that, raise of conciseness and higher vibration started.

google: yogaia

they have like 20 live classes per day, and you can use them all later anytime you want.

i pay 8 euros per month to use the site. Its fucking incredible. I have done about 67 classes in 2,5-3 months