Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sartanion

Degree - do you have it? / have you ever needed it?

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

my uni will kick me out soon (if not now, next semester). I focused on self-actualization and learning online marketing and coding, instead of uni studies. I have plan, but I know that parents are gonna be dissapointed (gotta live elsewhere). I know this is neccesary, but still..

When you quit college how did you deal with negative opinions of your relatives?

Those who graduated - was that worth it?
I feel like everything (except medicine and such) can be learned elsewhere (courses, internet), without stressing about exams.

Anyone who has degree from online studies backed up by real uni? (Heard from friend he was using it in his CV's with great success :D )

And lastly - for everyone - if you could comeback to your 20, would you do the same again or would you do something differently? (college × job, actualization, self-education, start and fail few bussinesses, date more, ...? )

Thank you

If you have a solid plan I see no reason why dropping out is a bad thing. I’m a 2nd year at uni, I’m not sure if my current subject I’m studying will be the main aspect of my life Purpose (I’m doing the course currently). Many would say you should stick it out and just get the degree, but to be fair if you’ve got a solid plan and you know how to successfully execute it, then I hope it goes exceptionally well for you. The value of degrees is going down yes, but many employers prefer to see one than not. That being said if you’re starting our own business, it doesn’t matter! 

Hope it works out for you

Rowan

Hi Sartanion~ hopefully your coursework interests you. That matters!

Have you discussed anything along these lines with your academic advisors/counsellors?

The thing about applying yourself to a single, tangible objective over a long period of time and completing it is at the very least a matter of the virtue (of accomplishing a tangible commitment) being its own reward. I got a university degree over five years~ then I did something totally different.

Unless you have something on the cusp (worth dropping whatever you have invested in your academic degree), then my suggestion would be to look beyond your malaise, gird your loins and soldier on~ switch your major if need be. You can't know what will develop in the meantime.

The worst thing to do is be influenced by the misguided sentiment called the fear of missing out on something. Rather, be guided by your desire or a particular challenge. If you don't have a smoldering passion you are ready and able to commit to, then continue with the degree track for now~ while you keep that passion tethered, for the time being.

Getting a university degree is a rite of passage~ but at the risk of going into debt for someone else's approval (unless they are funding your university coursework), assess this thing impersonally, then do what you must. What is inevitable right now?

"All paths are empty, they all lead nowhere." You must travel the path with heart, or you are throwing your life away at this very instance. Whatever seems to be the real challenge facing you right now where you stand (after you take a step back)— see it for what it is, then meet it, then do it again, and again, and again.

ed note: add 5th line

Edited by deci belle

Nana i ke kumu  Ka imi loa

I have a degree. Honestly, it's instant credibility for job positions. 

You can learn anything from books, go to a thrift store and see how many old textbooks are there (even medicine). The sad part is, that knowledge is no less relevant today than it was at that time, so people are getting ripped off for college textbooks.

I wouldn't recommend dropping out but you can still make it without that piece of paper. Is it going to be easy? It's not easy WITH the paper. 

I had a conversation with some coworkers a few days ago (management position levels) and we concluded that if you learn coding, start an online project, commit it to github, and display it to possible employers, you can land a software engineering or a good IT job. Passion and deep understanding/internalization outweighs people with degrees who want to collect checks.

Edited by poimandres

@Sartanion I have a Master's Degree and looking for work with it is degrading and shitty. It's not instant credibility in my experience. 

If I were young, I would study philosophy as cheap as possible - to think, enjoy that age, and also get to study abroad. Then, an ashram. Then, I would have started my own business or at least learned the art of hustling contract work. 

I am 31 now with a degree I don't care about, a lot of business acumen, and nowhere to direct it. I am essentially starting now where I wish I had started 10 years ago, but with a ton of fucking student debt. 

nothing is anything

I have 2 careers and other courses, and have been useless. If you want to have a good job actually, contacts are more useful than studies.

Yes, having a BS degree and sending out resumes goes open lots of doors ,

However ,I do not want those jobs at all ,I owe lots of money and I have to overcome lots of barriers, so I am very very proud I have to degree.

I am walking around trying g to figure out what I want to do.

I would say a degree looks very good on paper and is most likely very necessary to even get job offers .

My friend is quiting school after a AS degree and is fully emerged in penny stocks that is his goal now,which entails getting up a 4:30 am and sitting in front of the computer for many hours watching the market or listen to the mentors teach. He said he is quiting school such as College or University ,his mom is freaking out.