Charlotte

I start Yoga tomorrow...

15 posts in this topic

I start my first ever Yoga class tomorrow (Hatha). Can I have some pointers please? ?

@Charlotte Me too! I’m going to try Kundalini yoga.

Have fun ?

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

31 minutes ago, Max_V said:

Me too! I’m going to try Kundalini yoga.

Have fun ?

@Max_V I'm so jealous! ? There is nowhere in my local area that offers kundalini Yoga. Hope you enjoy every minute of it! ? And thank you ❤️

Not sure if this is Hatha but for simple yoga at home have a look on Adriene Mishler's youtube channel called "yogawithadriene" and look up her 30 day challenge. 

This is a great starter pack with lots of simple and advanced movements to get you started. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Try developing an emotional connect to the practice of yoga or else you will soon face motivation problems. Being mindful during the practice will help you to listen to your body which is the single most imp lesson I have learnt. As cliched as it sound its true that the body knows much more than we credit it for and yes, avoid striving for perfection in the initial stages. 

3 hours ago, ajasatya said:

trust your body.

I second this. 

@ajasatya @Vaishnavi

Wow, thank you for your pointers guys. I've really taken what you said on board and will apply. 

Thank you again, priceless advice ❤️

Quick update:

Extremely enjoyed the session. The teacher I felt didn't suit her job, I felt she wasn't calm and connected to her body enough (if that's makes sense). Very fast paced energy from her, her inhale and exhale instructions, for me felt far to quick and I could hear from the room that everyone was breathing from there chest, very shallow. So I decided to listen to my body and do what felt right. 

I did exactly what you guys suggested and for this reason, I think, I really enjoyed it. I was able to obtain the true benefits of yoga, felt very connected to my body. Regardless of being very tired I was able to stay mindful and focused. 

I felt a lot of relief from my lower back (where I suffer with Chronic pain). 

I think I'll be looking at resteration yoga next, I've heard it's more a mindfulness/awareness based class which sounds right up my street. 

Can anybody tell me, does it take some time to find the right teacher? 

@Charlotte haha, you just reminded me of my yoga experience. I remember I left my yoga classes the day I joined it since all they were practicing was just movement of body parts. There was no focus, no feel and zero mindfulness. This is an attitude I've seen in most of these classes, i.e. to get done with a set/pose. They don't usually care about the breath or connecting to the body. This ain't with everyone ofcourse but I've seen this first hand with many 'experienced teachers'.

This is why I like to do yoga by myself. I can do it the way I like. Doing it by yourself gives you the freedom to choose the theme of your yoga practice (hardcore, full flexibility, focusing on the chakras, strengthening the joints etc.) You can decide the variety for yourself, take your time and make modifications that suits you.

There is Yoga with Adrienne and ekhart yoga on YouTube if you like. However if you're specifically into traditional hatha yoga you can look up for online courses on Udemy. However it's just a pov, you might actually find a capable teacher if you look enough. Good luck :)

3 hours ago, Charlotte said:

Can anybody tell me, does it take some time to find the right teacher?

yes. ancient seekers used to travel miles and miles to find their yoga teachers.

unborn Truth

@Vaishnavi  "There was no focus, no feel and zero mindfulness. This is an attitude I've seen in most of these classes, i.e. to get done with a set/pose. They don't usually care about the breath or connecting to the body. This ain't with everyone ofcourse but I've seen this first hand with many 'experienced teachers'."

This is exactly how I felt she ran the class... I stayed behind after everyone left to get to know her a bit more. We chatted back and forth about mindfulness/awareness and I don't mean to sound rude and no disrespect to the lady but I could definitely tell (as she stated) she wanted to teach yoga for psychical body reasons, the exercise aspect of it. 

Practicing Yoga at home does sound like it has its benefits BUT I wanted to partake in a class for social reason's and to also possibly meet some like-minded potential friends. I will definitely research a little more into your suggestions so thank you so much. 

11 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

yes. ancient seekers used to travel miles and miles to find their yoga teachers.

Well I will do the same, I won't quit, I'll keep trying until I find somebody I feel I'm comfortable with :)

@Charlotte Kundalini yoga is kind of like that, fast paced, in my opinion. I tried it but it wasn't for me, yet. What is your yoga studio like? What kind of vibe? Is it the typical western yoga classes? Or is it kind of new-age/spiritual? Hare Krishna? 

Try different studios. I've been to many, and all of them have a slight different taste to them. Teachers too. 

2 hours ago, JustinS said:

@Charlotte Kundalini yoga is kind of like that, fast paced, in my opinion. I tried it but it wasn't for me, yet. What is your yoga studio like? What kind of vibe? Is it the typical western yoga classes? Or is it kind of new-age/spiritual? Hare Krishna? 

Try different studios. I've been to many, and all of them have a slight different taste to them. Teachers too. 

@JustinS I felt she did try to create the new age/spiritual vibe but could tell it was definitely forced. Yes, I definitely will be doing, thank you :)