Dan Arnautu

Best ratio of theory vs practice

7 posts in this topic

So I see many people advising others to read 1 book a week (others even a book a day). A book a weeks means 52 in a year. 

But what I've found is that to implement what even one book  actually says can take months or even years. 

From this stems the trap of reading but not actually doing anything, thus also not seeing any results or change in your life.

What is the best way/-s you found to balance these? 

Personally, I found two ways. 

Either you take one book at a time and do what it says for a month or more, and when you get the info and techniques into your subconscious (when it transforms you permanently), you move on to another book

OR

You read for 1-2 years while still doing your thing, you make a plan of action and the you just DO for 1-2 years, without reading. (although this can't be done with courses or books that have many exercises and which require immediate practice in order to get to their next step) 

Also, how many book are too much? What is the point of diminishing returns and dabbling? 

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

7 hours ago, Dan Arnautu said:

read 1 book a week (others even a book a day)

That is right, They Read a Book, They do not learn,

In fact They can read a book in less than 24 Hours, if it is only about reading  .....@Dan Arnautu

Reading trains your internal monologue and teaches you mental discipline. For me at least I read in my head, my internal voice distracts me and then very quickly I switch to this different inner voice that just receives the information. You will have those days were you read a whole chapter, not take in a single piece of info, go back to the start of the chapter and read it again, realize you do sort of remember reading it, and then come to the conclusion you aren't in control of your focus or thoughts. Before the stress of adulthood I could read for hours, I could picture everything so vividly and never lose my focus. By the time I was 15  I did't even know where my focus was anymore and it got to the point where I just thought I had grown out of books. 

I suggest read a book a week, do whatever feels natural regarding practicing vs theory but just be content with the fact that at the very least you are doing some mental discipline work and improving attention and attention span. The other stuff will come once you are in better control of where your attention lies. 

Edited by star ark
grammar nazis

it's 70 % patrice  and 30% Patrice  best ratio guys  ! In the last days my reading has become very slope but the practice increase so I am happy with one book every two weeks as averages and like 25 to 30 books a year 

I have found to be useful to just have separate periods one period where you just read and an other where you use it in pratice and just take the time you need to be successful :)