kieranperez

Help With Calming My Mind While Running

9 posts in this topic

Alright. I’m super happy I get to ask this.

so I’ve been a runner for 10 years now. I’m actually what one would call a sub elite runner in terms of competitive ability. I run sub 4:20 in the mile, sub 15:30 for 5K, etc. So I know it’s funny I’m asking this but I still need help. 

When I train and race I experience pretty much what one would experience in meditation where the mind is just going fucking crazy and is relenting but to a much more powerful degree. The level of resistance I find in running is almost 10x more distressful at times. Especially when I race because not only am I trying to maintain high concentration, but also I’m pushing my body to the limit which is extremeley emotionally taxing which takes up so much energy. 

Do you guys have any meditation practices while running or when you’re REALLY pushing yourself physically? NOT just going for an idle walk or anything like that. I get so absorbed in my negative train of thought that I actually sabotage my training and even drop out of races all the time now because my monkey mind gets so out of control when I run. Keep in mind, i already have a daily sitting meditation practice for 1 hour.

Edited by kieranperez
Didn’t complete my post

I enjoy running as a meditative practice, tho i do not run so much or fast as you.

First, let me say, normally when meditating the mind becomes very still eventually. The mind going crazy while meditating is usually only the first couple minutes for me, or after I hit a wall in time duration. But experience in meditating will lead to an almost non-thinking state eventually.
Breathing exercises, like focusing on the breath during meditation, can reduce thoughts succesfully.

When running, i fully try to be aware of my body. Like i am doing a body scanning technique. I especially focus fully on any muscle that is burning, i also focus on my running form. I try to feel it harder, to feel it more, i bask in it.  Sometimes while wondering "what is pain exactly, why is this sensation unpleasant?"

After a while, the pain becomes abstract and i disassociate it as being unpleasant. So I become joyful, filled with the wonder of being alive and able to feel all these sensations. There is no thought at all anymore, and i am running with this goofy smile in pure bliss.

Maybe lay off running for a bit and buckle down on your meditation, just to calm the mind? I love what you're doing, I run and meditate too. They feed off each other.  

Edited by Vinnie

That's super strange, in my experience, running is a sure way to stop thinking. 

Also runner's high, ahhhh <3

I thought one of the main reason people like sports is because while you are physically active, the mind is too preoccupied/immersed in the activity to be thinking.

Perhaps because you've been doing it so long it has become too routine for your mind and thats why it is blabbing about.

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

@kieranperez Pick wanted thoughts. When a negative thought comes, say the opposite to yourself a few times. Either is true in the sense, it’s only a thought. The distinction between what’s happening, and a thought, is important. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Sahil Pandit right on man! Good on you! Finally, a guy on here whose gonna get me on this aha for me it kinda depends. Tempo runs I can lock in sometimes. Usually the more I pick it up, the better I can lock in but it depends on the day really. I'm starting up training again and went for an easy 8 and man my mind was just going nuts. I'm so in my head running that it really hurts me in workouts and especially in races where I DNF because I just can't calm my mind. I want to practice mindfulness but I imagine that actually getting in the way of decision making and being locked in during races and workouts because when those bigger quality days come up, you actually need to focus on executing.