JohnLeyo

Can hard work beat intelligence? Does it depend on the field?

7 posts in this topic

The goal isn’t to beat, it is to play amongst.

Our goal isn’t to be a champion, especially in the intellectual realm where there are no clear winners, it is to work with people who inspire us, so that you can make a lasting impact on humankind.

When you focus on beating people who you assume are smarter than you, you will focus on them. This will take away the amount of time and focus you can devote to mastering the material. Mastery is what will get you invited to exclusive groups.

Hard work most definitely can most definitely get you in the most exclusive circles, and it can definitely make you perform better than people who are just gifted but don’t work hard.

That being said, there will always be hyper talented individuals who will just “Get it” faster than you. Rather than measure yourself up next to them in a competition that doesn’t exist, look at their work product and try to understand how they think.

Most people who we perceive as incredibly intelligent, just use better thinking techniques when they approach a problem. The more you focus on thinking like a smart person, rather than trying to beat a smart person, the easier it will be for you to play amongst them.

Here Is a Free Self Improvement and Motivational Ebook.
All you have to do is enter the link bellow and put your name with your e-mail, and you will receive a message to your INBOX to download the Ebook....

From my understanding on this topic (I learned a lot from Jordan Peterson on this and this is his area of expertise) intelligence or IQ determines an individual's ability to handle and process abstractions and abstract concepts. A person with a higher IQ can process and understand complex processes much faster than a lower IQ individual.

IQ is the biggest predictor for lifetime success. Obviously when you can grasp complexity quickly in an in-demand field you will attract a higher salary. Second predictors for success are being high on the conscientiousness spectrum and low on the neuroticism spectrum.

With that in mind, high IQ individuals may pursue more technical roles but its not the be all and end all. A brick layer who is competent in the work and achieves mastery will also be very well compensated. This does not itself require a high IQ but a high IQ individual may achieve mastery faster in that field. The catch is that high IQ individuals MAY feel that work such as brick-laying is not intellectually stimulating, so they may pursue fields like academia.

IQ may help you but without hard work it will get you nowhere.

Though some basic IQ tests I did just for interest my IQ appears to be somewhere in the 130-150 range which is high. I can tell you form experience that I can get the jist of a subject much quicker than some of my classmates. I can listen to a lecture once and remember the content very well. I tend to integrate new knowledge into my web of understanding of everything, as well as using my web of understanding to learn a new concept by looking at similarities between subjects. I don't know whether this is because of IQ or just because of the way I learn or both.

This creates a false sense of security in a way because you trust in your intelligence, but when the going gets tough and you don't have the discipline to work hard formed into a habit, others will begin to overtake you. It's a double edged sword.

A balance between doing and thinking needs to be achieved. IMO higher IQ individuals spend too much time thinking and not enough doing, and lower IQ individuals start doing before they've fully thought through a concept. Both can benefit from moving more towards a balanced approach.

21 minutes ago, Cepzeu said:

IQ is the biggest predictor for lifetime success.

I've heard that EQ out predicts IQ by a factor of 2 (As repeatedly said by Brian Johnson)

Where is your source for that 

Edited by thehero

When you have an authentic desire for something, and you put concentrated effort to manifest that. Then the tools needed to get there will come at your disposal when they are needed. Even 'intelligence'. But intelligence is such a vague concept that it can be anything. You can say, well, intelligence is problem solving. But then again, isn't life itself a matter of problem solving, every single moment of the day. Whether it be algebra, quantum physics or cleaning the toilet, there really isn't much of a difference if you pin it down to problem solving.

If you have an authentic desire to become a successful mathematician. The barrier of the lack of intelligence is solely a mental thing. Everyone is 'intelligent' enough, to get what they want in life.

Just like the concept of intelligence, 'hard work' is also just a concept. If you have a high desire for something, and regard all the time you put in as 'hard work', you likely aren't going to fulfill your potential. If I can alter the quote of Master Yoda a bit: " Do or do not, there is no hard work". 

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

@Cepzeu

dang 130-150 IQ?

mine is only 97....

the way I see it:   IQ = potential,  hard work = unlocking said potential, or am I right?o.O

i would say so but it also important how you work some people like Cal Newport think that's not all work is equal so its important to figure out what the right work is to get the most benefits from the time you spend working he also argues that focus is the new iq i guess from reading hes books that the more you optimize your intensity of focus the more your focus win over iq