LC

Enlightenment Or Passion - Which To Chase First?

11 posts in this topic

Should I seek enlightenment before working towards a passion?

I've been on the path of searching for my passion since school about 5 years ago. But, as my values change with my development so does what I want to do in life, ending in much tail chasing.

If I seek a passion what if I find it meaningless once I pursue and obtain enlightenment?

Very rarely is a passion meaningless. And finding what you are passionate about can be useful on your path to enlightenment. I believe once you find what you are passionate about your path becomes much clearer. 

Which you seek first is up to you and either choice is correct. 

Edited by David

My passion is playing piano. The only way to play really really well is to be 100% aware. Present in the moment, like meditating. the moment a though comes into your mind you make a mistake, by training in piano, which i do with great passion,  I am training awareness. Awareness leads to Being and, I think, thats the road to enlightment. 

You listen the way that Glenn Gould, Daniel Barenboim, Sviatslav Richer (just to name a few) talks and you are definitely listening to an enlightened person. Same when reading quotes about the great Masters (Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Wagner, etc)

So probably your passion is completely linked with enlightenment. Think about Da Vinci, Albert Einstein, Johann Sebastian Bach, all enlightened passionate fellas

In both cases, it is your ego standing in the way of actually finding what you seek

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

Thanks for the insights everyone!

I suppose in the case that working on my passion and enlightenment can be synonymous, how do I know my passion isn't ego driven? 

I guess my main fear is that once the ego is totally released, there's a good chance that I'll find that my passion was grounded in that ego and want to release that too.

Can you create even create a passion that is enlightenmentproof?

3 minutes ago, LC said:

Thanks for the insights everyone!

I suppose in the case that working on my passion and enlightenment can be synonymous, how do I know my passion isn't ego driven? 

I guess my main fear is that once the ego is totally released, there's a good chance that I'll find that my passion was grounded in that ego and want to release that too.

Can you create even create a passion that is enlightenmentproof?

You know your passion isn't ego driven when you don't feel any fear if it doesn't work out. You just enjoy the activity for the doing of it. If you think this activity will get you somewhere else than where you already are, there is ego in it. Let's say you want to be a musician, if you just want to be that to be famous, rich and respected. It's ego. If you play music regardless it gives you money or anything else 'tangible' it might be a passion.

The funny thing is, if you indeed reach enlightenment the "you" wouldn't even be able to be fearful about stuff like this. You would need to release these fears anyway, they are simply attachments of the ego. Life itself will become the passion and everything that crosses your experience will be passionate. All the ego stuff that drops on that moment is only a good thing, and you wouldn't worry about it one bit.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

I say don't listen to people who rant so obsessively about enlightenment. If you are passionate about that, go for it and do the shit out of it. Others can go walk with a bamboo stick. Never put your own individual richness above enlightenment. Enlightenment is something you gotta have a sense of on the background of all things, if you make it a primary life purpose you're going nowhere with that. You know why people 'give up their egos' so desperately? Cause their life sucks! It actually sucks so badly that they have to give up themselves to feel a little bit better. So that's not the kind of direction you wanna have. Just saying.. I'm a web-programmer myself. I was very passionate about programming, but I was also passionate about zen & enlightenment. At the end of the day it hit me that chasing enlightenment is like chasing the tail you don't have. Totally out of sanity. The best thing you can ever do is follow your passion with pride, and instead of denying your individuality, make it richer.. more unique. 

In a sense you need to be passionate about enlightenment. So what to get passionate about is the question. 

"Water takes shape of whatever container holds it." --

You can manage it by considering your age and your position in life, maslow's hierarchy would be helpful. Leo's video - Using Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs To  Self-Actualize.

If one is younger, he can follow his passions and build a good life position first.Because down the road he would have built strong work ethic, discipline, rituals and most importantly he would have experienced lot of thing in life. And those can be helpful on the journey to enlightenment. But of course it's possible to became enlightened in young ages. Not saying focus on one thing here . nope. So best thought would be to align it with meditation and self conscious work. what about others opinions. 

Edited by RTM

@LC Both of them is the same because you not yourself in both. In your passion you are so connect to inner being you forget who you are. same goes with enlightenment. Only different is Passion goes away. Enlightenment is more permanent than Passion. Hope I answer your question. That is what i think anyway.

@LC  If enlightenment is not your passion, you should pursue your passion! If you are already a very passionate person due to you having found your passion, then your passion shall lead you to enlightenment much easier.:P

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches.