asgard94

Talking About "spiritual Bypassing", And How Seeking Enlightenment Can Lead To Delusions & Pseudo-science.

31 posts in this topic

I would like this post to serve as a reminder for everyone, that there is such a thing called a "Spiritual Bypassing". Sometimes we have to deal with many difficult problems in our lives. And there have been numerous cases, when people turn 'spirituality' into their personal comfort zone. A small delusional bubble that one has made up for himself, in order to close his/her eyes on those serious life problems that need to be solved. So instead of solving those problems, people sometimes get "delusional" about enlightenment. And instead of solving their harsh life problems, they will naively try to 'pursue enlightenment', 'get rid of the ego', so on and so forth. I believe this is a very serious problem that is very underestimated. Because misunderstanding enlightenment and using it as a form of escape from real life problems will inevitably have disastrous consequences for such an individual. I want to specify a deeper example here. I've seen thousands of people on Facebook -Alan Watts page, obsessively talking about Alan Watts. These people listen to Alan Watts audio recordings for hours and hours and hours. Every single day! Without ever thinking about enlightenment on their own, trying to explore it all on their own. Trusting some old man, who rants about the nature of reality.  I believe these people may be in a delusional state of mind. For those who do not know A.Watts, he is a zen philosopher. A very popular one. I have to say that I absolutely love the work of Alan Watts, I have also read many of his books. And I do not question his philosophy. What I question here, is the mental health of those individuals who become completely obsessed with A.Watts and his recordings. I strongly believe that such people are under a deep state of mental delusion. These people are using Alan Watts audio recordings as if it were drugs. So they end up drugging their brains, and never actually understanding what enlightenment is at all.  And I would like all of you to ask yourselves, why exactly are you trying to pursue enlightenment? Could it be, that you have some harsh personal life problems behind, and you're trying to run away from that? If so, then I strongly suggest you to face those problems first, and solve them. Only after that, come back to pursuing enlightenment. It is very important for each one of us to understand why we are doing what we're doing. Spiritual Bypassing is very real, and I have been its victim too in the past. Here is some more information about it. 
http://robertmasters.com/writings/spiritual-bypassing/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/emotional-sobriety/201110/beware-spiritual-bypass

And here is an all-famous Alan Watts, the guy who puts thousands of people under his powerful hypnotic condition. 

BEWARE OF SPIRITUAL BYPASS. Make sure your desire to pursue enlightenment is not an escape from life. That's all I had to say... Please share your thoughts on this.

You say you understand enlightenment yet you also use terms as: "disastrous consequences for the individual" and judge people for having a "delusional state of mind". 

One could argue that everyone who does not know Truth is delusional in a way, but that is a pretty condescending and unenlightened way of putting it. Secondly, everyone is on their journey, whether you are a spiritual seeker or not. Every seeker has fallen into numerous traps including romanticizing spirituality. Eventually will find their, or they will not, it's not up to you nor the individual. Every seeker is "delusional" when they start seeking enlightenment, how can they not be? They won't have a clue what they are looking for. Looking for something when you have no idea what it is, is by probably called delusional by most people. You could even say that by having an ego you are just running away from Truth.

Demonizing these people will not help them closer to finding what they seek

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

51 minutes ago, vizual said:

You say you understand enlightenment yet you also use terms as: "disastrous consequences for the individual" and judge people for having a "delusional state of mind". 

One could argue that everyone who does not know Truth is delusional in a way, but that is a pretty condescending and unenlightened way of putting it. Secondly, everyone is on their journey, whether you are a spiritual seeker or not. Every seeker has fallen into numerous traps including romanticizing spirituality. Eventually will find their, or they will not, it's not up to you nor the individual. Every seeker is "delusional" when they start seeking enlightenment, how can they not be? They won't have a clue what they are looking for. Looking for something when you have no idea what it is, is by probably called delusional by most people. You could even say that by having an ego you are just running away from Truth.

Demonizing these people will not help them closer to finding what they seek

Enlightenment is a subjective idea. It is nothing other than a specific form of belief. Using the word "Path" or "Journey" makes it all sound mysterious. If something appears mysterious it only means we do not understand the subject well enough. The truth is the following: We are here, now. Humans define themselves in a way that is not in alignment with this universe. Meaning they falsely assume their made up identity (ego) is what they are. Why are we using the word "Enlightenment" at all? Why are we making up these words and believing in them as if though they existed. It exists only in form of belief. Nature and the universe has nothing to do with 'enlightenment', an idea existing only inside your mind. Just like a flying elephant. Can you prove to me that Enlightenment exists? What are you going to do, sit in zazen and present to me how thoughtless you are? Or will you bring up nothingness as an argument?
 And speaking of "disastrous consequences for the individual", are you actually denying the danger of being left out on the street because of being broke, after not taking the right actions in life to earn the money and sustain yourself financially? But oh right let me think, you probably don't agree that there is such a thing as being broke. Of course. Sleeping outside is also not a problem. All of these problems arise from the mind. The no-mind, or the 'Brahman' mind has no such definitions as broke or inside/outside. Sure! I understand where you are coming from. Is that why Leo Gura has one of the most successful businesses running on YouTube, and earning 6 figures? Because he truly disagrees that "not taking action in life leads to disastrous consequences"? I doubt very much that he achieved all this by such kind of 'spiritual' and impractical thinking.  Now he created this forum and will probably put Advertisements on this site very soon. Gonna add a few figures more to his income. Oh yeah, Good Luck with your journey!  have fun.

Well I'm quite new to the subject but why would Leo Gura, if he's as successful as you say he is, put his whole reputation on the line, and his web site and you tube channel, if he didn't believe that this subject was important or even if there was the slightest risk that it was hocus pokus? And people here are really asking you is to question your own mind?

1 minute ago, Neo said:

Well I'm quite new to the subject but why would Leo Gura, if he's as successful as you say he is, put his whole reputation on the line, and his web site and you tube channel, if he didn't believe that this subject was important or even if there was the slightest risk that it was hocus pokus? And people here are really asking you is to question your own mind?

Correct. I believe what Leo did and does is necessary and inevitable. I just brought his financial achievements as an example to demonstrate that Leo Gura agrees to the fact that it is important to take care of our personal lives, finances and solve our daily problems instead of closing our eyes on them. 

Yes, but Leo has also made clear that he is in turn quite new to Enlightenment, but it cuts right through the core of every other aspect of your life. In effect you can follow all Leo's other life changing stuff to help yourself slowly, or give your  whole life, spirituality or whatever you want to call it a major shift, and at the same there seems to be a hint that to take this fast lane, you need to have already built up a bit of maturity.

Yeah its cool to clear stuff in your life but i am so not agreeing on this one.

The truth is the real thing, and you might find me crazy but if you just for a second ponder about the fact that there is this reality, and like what the fuck is happening right now? what is all this? you, me, world, fish, time, space, etc , etc? what the hell is all this? You will be convinced that the truth is of highest importance. 

1 minute ago, Sigma said:

Yeah its cool to clear stuff in your life but i am so not agreeing on this one.

The truth is the real thing, and you might find me crazy but if you just for a second ponder about the fact that there is this reality, and like what the fuck is happening right now? what is all this? you, me, world, fish, time, space, etc , etc? what the hell is all this? You will be convinced that the truth is of highest importance. 

I agree with you on this. However, you can't possibly deny the importance of making sure you are able to survive further, in order to keep learning more about the truth and the vastness of the universe. So I think taking care of life problems & cherishing the truth are of the equal importance. Because you can't discover the truth without having enough time to do so. And you can't have enough time to do so without finding means to survive... Basic stuff, but yeah.

Just now, Sigma said:

I am willing to know the truth at the cost my life. 

Even if its "who stole your cell phone?" It depends on how valuable the question is.. Haha! But for one I know that I'd have given my life to find out if there are alien life forms on Jupiters moon Europa, and Saturns Enceladus & Titan. So much exciting stuff to grasp and explore. Yet we seem to waste our lives on twerking and selfies.

Indeed, that is why the trait of courage is invaluable. When things get chaotic, people tend to attach themselves onto something solid and hold on for dear life.

It is a terrible trap to get into so they must train themselves to constantly break patterns and limits.  Simple concept, but hard to keep at it...

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

Good points. I worry about doing that myself. However, I don't think you need to put off your pursuit until you fix all your other problems. As long as you're not running away from your problems and doing your part to take care of yourself in a healthy manner (which includes facing your problems in a practical way), I think you'd be fine to continue the search.

1 hour ago, Sigma said:

I am willing to know the truth at the cost my life. 

Your life IS the truth :) - better said, you ARE life (not someone living life)

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

7 minutes ago, Ayla said:

Your life IS the truth :) - better said, you ARE life (not someone living life)

Ayla your reputation is '666'. Not sure if we should trust you right now! Ha.

2 minutes ago, asgard94 said:

Ayla your reputation is '666'. Not sure if we should trust you right now! Ha.

Consciousness sure has funny ways to express itself :P 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

4 minutes ago, Ayla said:

Consciousness sure has funny ways to express itself :P 

Old people’s skin sags, because it is being pulled, towards the underworld. . . . ^_^

Just now, asgard94 said:

Old people’s skin sags, because it is being pulled, towards the underworld. . . . ^_^

WOW Profound that one :P 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

My ego is actually delusional.

:P

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Just now, abrakamowse said:

My ego is actually delusional.

:P

Maybe you are delusional and the ego is real? Maybe.. This whole universe is an illusion, and our identity, the ego is the only real thing that exists? Maybe we're all terribly wrong! That would be terrific.

@asgard94  I am sure, it is not.

:)

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16