Revolutionary Think

Job Lottery Frustrating Me.

22 posts in this topic

My relationship with employment has been a very traumatic experience ever since College. The way I looked at it was a job could finally allow me to make my own money so I could afford to live on my own and away from my parents and all the drama that came with their divorce. I hated being young because that meant that my life was to be controlled by people older than me and who had really bad judgement including my parents and teachers. In fact after high school I didn't even want to continue my education but, I continued it because "I'd be worth more to the world". So I wasted no time and started working with the career center in my College ASAP so I could get something part time while going to College. I would apply apply and apply with their help and not hear back from anyone. Until I saw an ad in the paper about work and all of a sudden I came to a place that was like a cult meeting and the name of the company was herbalife. I got suckered in to their claims of making money and told my mother to pay the initiation fee that was a big mistake. I eventually quit that stupid MLM scam. 

Then the next year of College the recession hit and the job market situation was even worse and more of a job lottery situation. Same shit where all that time I put into application online and offline most likely ended up in a trash bin or something like that. It got to a point where I eventually quit job hunting all together because I was annoyed and couldn't take the bullshit anymore. It wasn't until I got my AA degree in broadcasting that I got a job at McDonalds I applied to because I was just applying everywhere. I thought to myself so ironic that the assholes at my high school told me if I drop out I'd get a job there but, ended up getting a job there anyway. In fact though the job there wasn't so bad and at least living with my mom I saved up every penny I got from the job and used the excess money to go travelling to places I always wanted to see. That was a good thing. Then I graduated from University and ended at a job working for my uncles in their warehouse mind you a job I could've done easily with less than a high school diploma. 

After 7 months I quit that job and entered into a program called Jumpcut Academy (in fact a member from that academy introduced me to Actualized.org) I paid a hefty $1000 for the program to learn how to become a YouTube influencer. At first it was a good program and I was working on my YouTube videos to spread some kind of message. It wasn't until later my mom got pissed off that I didn't have a "real" job and told me to go learn a skill. So I looked online for places where I can learn skills and came across the Digital Learning Academy. The first class I took there had to do with 3D printing and I loved that class. Designing things with CAD and 3D printing became a new passion for me and it was absolutely fascinating and fun. Then it was on to coding which I didn't like so much then Graphic design and Digital Printing which was better than coding but, not as fun and exciting as 3D printing.

I so wanted to get some work in the 3D printing field so the principal of the school found a 3D printing job for me and I gave my cover letter and resume the guy responded and was interested in moving forward with me. We had a phone interview and after that I sent him a thank you email. He responded to the thank you email saying he really liked me and my attitude but, other people had more experience than me in operating on the printers hardware which I didn't have so he couldn't hire me. I was really annoyed but, kept him as a contact and moved on. Then there was a 3D printing place near me called Hollywood 3D printing which had an opening I called them and they seemed eager to hire me (at the time). Then all of a sudden later they pretended as if I didn't exist and when I called back it seemed like they couldn't care less to hire me. The school was still helping me and there was a Digital Reprographics place hiring 8 minutes away where I lived and I didn't really want the job but, settled for it. I came in for one training day and got paid then I got another answer that they were moving with someone else after the training day because that other person had more experience. Last but, not least before I graduated there was this sales job selling cell phones to low income people that I said if all else fails I'll go for that one. Little did I know how absolutely filthy, gross, disgusting, and shady that job was. I was giving away free cell phones in some low income area of town with a supervisor who I had to drive around and we were signing people up for these phones in front of a liquor store on top of a trashcan just had that job for 2 days and left it was so terrible. 

The problem is that I know I have so much talent, energy, and intelligence yet the same shit that happened to me when I was really younger in the job market is happening to me again. It may have to do that LA is overpopulated and supply of people is way more than demand. All I can say is that I'm beginning to get so disgusted and disappointed with this job market lottery BS that the next employer who makes me do a whole bunch of crap and doesn't hire me I want to smack that person across their face. In fact I never wanted a stupid boring 9 to 5 job to begin with I want to create a movement and change the world with some idea I just need some help. It seems like in this dump of a city no one is willing to give you a chance no matter how much effort and time you put into improving yourself learning skills and going the extra mile none of these assholes are willing to cut you a break. Anyway that was my rant if you have any ideas for me please let me know. 

@Revolutionary Think don't drop your passion for creating motivational movement. Continue experimenting with your youtube channel while searching for another job. You can always do youtube even when you work full time.

@Revolutionary Think It's not a lottery at all. If you have the skills, the portfolio, and know how to market yourself, you will get a bunch of job offers.

You have to bring something enticing to the table. Just expecting people to do favors for you by hiring you is not the proper way to get a job.

The more value you offer, the more the world opens up to you.

The big problem here is that you're just applying to random jobs. Which shows you don't care what job you get, and you have no specific idea of what job you want. It's hard to get something when you don't know what you want because you cannot prepare yourself for it.

I assume you're 20+ years old. What career have you spent the last 10 years of your life preparing for?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

That part is obvious the problem is that there are tons of people in LA and not enough opportunities. I would think that the dumb schools would actually lead me in that direction to make a portfolio and teach me the skills I'd need and how to connect with those employers. The problem is that I need to know specifics. As you can see for that 3D printing job I did have the value they needed but, they got someone who had more value than I did. It becomes a lottery when they don't give you a chance to prove your value and instead they go by these Application Tracking Systems (ATS). 

I know that I have skills and the portfolio but, I guess what I need help on is marketing myself. Another obstacle is that the 3D printing field is an emerging industry so there aren't that many openings I see in the field here so far. I took those 6 month courses specifically to create the portfolio and have the skills to bring something enticing to the table. The one thing I'm having trouble with is that with the internet the job market has become very confusing and random. My value can't really be presented in a resume and I'm trying to find out what these employers actually want because they tend to want you to have tons of experience when they're not likely to give you a chance to start something if you don't have experience. I think What I need to do is come up with a winning strategy to somehow get their attention. 

The good news is that I organized a 3D printing event at the Microsoft store and if I'm lucky I'll network that way and present my value after I held the event there and it has been successful. I know I blew off a lot of steam in the previous post but, I was really annoyed. Even if you have a lot of skills and value there's still someone else out there in a county of more than 10 million people that are bound to have more value than you so it becomes dog eat dog. 

Also Leo I did the statistics Las Vegas's population is 1/15th that of LA's population. (I remember in a video you said you live there). So it makes it that much harder. Anyway It's only been 2 weeks I graduated from that program but, I just hate this job hunting stuff it's really annoying and it gets degrading. 

@Revolutionary Think

Hello. Maybe, just maybe, the problem is within you. I was also that person, the kind that finds every new job annoying. And a miserable 'I' was the constant variable in my jobs. What helped me, maybe it doesn't help you at all, was framing a job as something you do to earn money to pay bills. If I can pay bills with that job, I did everything right.
You are unemployed now, right? Why not teach your skills to students to make some money aside?

Greetings

SYY

My advice is start a fucking business. Fuck working for somebody else. In my current situation, I am still working at a 9-5 job but I am grateful that I had save enough money to invest into a business that I had just launch. That I know if I put in the work,time and practice I know I will succeed! Be grateful you have a job at McDonald's because now a days it's pretty hard to find a job. But keep saving your money and tried to used that money and bootstrap yourself a business.

My advice, all around us, every day, opportunities to get rich are popping up. The more alert you are, the more chance you have of spotting them. The more preparation you have done, the more chance you have of succeeding. The more bold you are, the better chance you have of getting in on the ground floor and confounding the odds. The more self-belief you can muster, the more certain will be your aim and your timing. And the less you care what the neighbors think, the more likely you are to take the plunge and exploit an opportunity. I started a online business.

@Revolutionary Think learn to work HARD. even if you're working on something that's not very promising, practice hard work.

drop these "i'm so brilliant" lines. they're completely useless.

work HAAARD

unborn Truth

Just now, Revolutionary Think said:

@ajasatya can't work hard at a job you don't have...

start something. a job is not the only way out for hard work.

i work hard on my diet and my yoga practice. i also plant forests (LOTS OF WORK) and study programming.

what can you do? what is your product?

unborn Truth

9 hours ago, Revolutionary Think said:

I have a store on Shapeways.com https://www.shapeways.com/shops/creative-land  

honestly, your products are very weak.

i just googled "3d printed objects" and i found amazing stuff!

you have to be more creative. don't just sell stupid 3d objects made with noob level blender skills. you have to go waaaaaaay deeper.

also, what a horrible cover picture! it made me think "why the hell am i here?"
low resolution pictures/words/videos feel extremely awful.

Edited by ajasatya

unborn Truth

That amazing stuff is just a Yoda head I saw that plenty of times before not very original. I agree though the objects aren't really that great but, I'm working on making more that are more complex. Just got to keep at it. Also I didn't make any of those on blender I made them on Fusion 360 which is way more advance. 

@Revolutionary Think when i was a child i dreamed about 3d puzzles! i googled it and i couldn't find anything else other than castles. i think this is an unexplored field!

unborn Truth