egoless

How To Get Started In Yoga

12 posts in this topic

I need all the advice and recommendations about yoga practitioners. What are the first steps, what kind of yoga do there exist and explain their purpose. Also would be grateful if you provide quality youtube channels where I could learn yogic techniques. What is the difference between meditation and yoga in the nutshell?

I was thinking about this too lately. I think I would enjoy it but don't know where to start.

Yoga with adriene is my go to channel, if I have a yoga phase.
Can't really tell you much more about it other than that I heard very contradictory statements about the importance of yoga. Sadhguru tends to say that it is very important, Osho for example said something along the lines that going running has pretty much the same effect as yoga, so it's very overrated. 

Is it safe to practice yoga through youtube videos? Which yogic technique is considered the most powerful for spiritual awakening?

On 11/8/2017 at 1:19 PM, egoless said:

I need all the advice and recommendations about yoga practitioners. What are the first steps, what kind of yoga do there exist and explain their purpose. Also would be grateful if you provide quality youtube channels where I could learn yogic techniques. What is the difference between meditation and yoga in the nutshell?

I had the same questions when I wanted to start...my approach was just to start by going to a yoga center each week and learn as you practice. I treat it the same as meditation: just start practicing and do the techniques that feel right for you.

To live yoga is the best for self realization. Otherwise it just heighten the body and mind consciousness which eventually has to go for liberation. 

Yoga can be good if you sit many hours in meditation :)

@egoless ah man, be careful, you need direct contact with a teacher. You're also interested in martial arts. It is a very good combination. That's what I've been practicing for 20 years: yoga and karate. And, gosh, I don't regret it.

1 hour ago, Pierre said:

@egoless ah man, be careful, you need direct contact with a teacher. You're also interested in martial arts. It is a very good combination. That's what I've been practicing for 20 years: yoga and karate. And, gosh, I don't regret it.

I think Tai chi is best for spiritual practice and meditation what do you think?

43 minutes ago, Pierre said:

Yeah, go for Tai Chi, it's perfect. Find a teacher.

But I want martialart which is good in street fight as well. Many people criticize tai chi to be the useless in real fight. Maybe jujitsu?

Edited by egoless

Well, I see two solutions for you. You can either choose a traditional way that combines martial and spiritual aspects, such as karatedo, aïkido or kung fu, or practice tai-chi alongside a very down-to-earth fighting technique like jujitsu, kickboxing, krav-maga, kyokushinkai karate, etc. Hope this will help.

On 11/8/2017 at 1:19 PM, egoless said:

What is the difference between meditation and yoga in the nutshell?

Yoga is meditation. Yoga means to join with God. If you're doing consciousness work, you're already doing yoga. I answered the question here: https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/14473-recources-for-learning-yoga/#comment-148268

Most of things he says are correct. I wouldn't rely on Youtube channels for Yoga (except for physical yoga) because you have to live your own life. 

The unborn Lord has many incarnations. BPHS