Favourite Books

14 posts in this topic

What are your favorite self-development/enlightenment books, most impactful books, just plain awesome self-development/enlightenment books and WHY?

For Self-Development: working on improving social/networking/work communication skills;

“How to Talk to Anyone” by Leil Lowndes

One skill I struggle with is networking, socializing and small talk. I really don’t like it, because I feel I’m not very good at it, my self-efficacy is low in this area. I didn’t like this feeling so, after much resistance…and listening to Leo say, if you’re not good at it, learn about it,  I searched for books on the subject. And found this one. It is wonderful! It offers practical tools to dealing with various social/networking/work situations you might come across. I took notes and try to practice the techniques to improve my skills, so I will improve and won’t feel bad about it anymore! Highly recommend this book if you are trying to improve this skill set! Does anyone have other suggestions of books to improve social/networking/work communication skills?

What books do you love?

Lauren :) 

I have so many books that I love. I have read so many but these are the one's that I am concentrating currently.

Books about recognizing difference between the self you think you are and Awareness:

Jeff Foster: An Extraordinary Absence

Michael Singer: The Unthethered soul

Books that are based on Course in Miracles (a way to un-do your mind to return to God-like mind)

Gary Renard: The Disappearance of the universe
David Hoffmaister: Unwind your mind back to God
Marianne Williamson: Return to love
Alexander Marchard: Universe is a dream

There are so many good books that might help on one's path but these are the ones that come into my mind easily at this point, so I will leave it to that. :) 

Biocentrism- Robert Lanza.

I read this book before i got into "self help". I was studying(kinda) quantum mechanics before reading and actually remebered quotes from it years later when i started. Wish i still had it to read again. Might be a good read :)

I like My Big Toe by Thomas Campbell. It's a physicists attempt at typing together physics and metaphysics. It's really far out. He offers the PDF online but it's really long so it'd easier to read it physically. Tom was one of the physicists from the book Journeys out of the Body by Robert Monroe (a famous book on outer body experiences. A term which Robert himself coined)

I also like Autobiography of a Yogi. It's a devotional text by yogi Paramahansa Yogananda. That book turned me from agnostic/atheist to... something else, overnight. 

Edited by Arman

I didn't think it was possible to have an awakening experience from books. 
1) I read spiritual enlightenment the damndest thing 
2) Then the book of undoing
I'm not enlightened but had a hell of an experience which is possible to put into words.
Read them in this order too.

Also after you've read both don't get trapped into thinking you've got the whole truth. There is always further. A great next step is asyantaki's from awakening to liberation talks

This is great! I haven't heard of most of the books mentioned above.

@Arman from your post it sounds like the Autobiography of a Yogi was a profound book for you, I will check it out! thank you for the suggestion!

@mike_herald I don't know much about quantum mechanics, I am overwhelmed by how much we could learn (although that makes me think about Leo's recent video about knowledge, its all very confusing). Thank you for the book suggestions!

@Dhana Choko I really enjoyed The Unthethered soul, I will have to check out, Jeff Foster: An Extraordinary Absence thank you for the suggestion

@randombodymind just listened to the sample of "the book of undoing" sounds very interesting.. I may start with this one! Awesome!! thank you!

22 hours ago, Lauren said:

What are your favorite self-development/enlightenment books, most impactful books, just plain awesome self-development/enlightenment books and WHY?

For Self-Development: working on improving social/networking/work communication skills;

“How to Talk to Anyone” by Leil Lowndes

One skill I struggle with is networking, socializing and small talk. I really don’t like it, because I feel I’m not very good at it, my self-efficacy is low in this area. I didn’t like this feeling so, after much resistance…and listening to Leo say, if you’re not good at it, learn about it,  I searched for books on the subject. And found this one. It is wonderful! It offers practical tools to dealing with various social/networking/work situations you might come across. I took notes and try to practice the techniques to improve my skills, so I will improve and won’t feel bad about it anymore! Highly recommend this book if you are trying to improve this skill set! Does anyone have other suggestions of books to improve social/networking/work communication skills?

What books do you love?

I would recommend " How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. Im currently 3 chapters into that book and jeez, that book has already begun to make my conversations more interesting. I'm sure it would get you places. :) 

2 minutes ago, Lauren said:

@Arman from your post it sounds like the Autobiography of a Yogi was a profound book for you, I will check it out! thank you for the suggestion!

No problem. :) The book is now within common domain. It's still being published and ebooks are available on amazon, but you can also get the ebook in multiple formats legally from here. https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7452

another book suggestion ;

For learning more on Romantic Relationships

The Mastery Of Love By Don Miguel Ruiz. Great foundational book for gaining a better understanding of ourselves in romantic relationships. Insight into why we do what we do and how to address issues that we create when we are in a romantic relationship.

Hello Lauren,

Here are a few books I highly recommend

Mindset change

The Art of Exceptional Living by Jim Rohn. It's an audiobook that I listened to countless time when I started on my personal development journey 3 or 4 years ago. I think it is a very good audiobook for beginners who want to create a more positive mindset. Jim Rohn who died in 2009 was the mentor of Tony Robbins and is still highly respected in the personal development field.

My favorite quote by Jim Rohn: "Learn to work harder on yourself than you do on your job. If you work hard on your job you will make a living, if you work hard on yourself you can make a fortune."

Spiritual Enlightenment

- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. It's a good introduction to spiritual enlightenment. The way the ego works is cleary explained. Ideal for people who aren't familiar with the topic.

- Awareness by Anthony De Mello. In this book Anthony De Mello, with his provocative style, invites us to wake up. Check out his program Rediscovering Life on Youtube. A MUST-SEE video!

One of my favorite quote by Anthony De Mello: "You cannot change by an effort of the will; you cannot change through ideals; you cannot change through building up new habits. Your behavior may change, but you don't. You only change through awareness and understanding."

- I Am That by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj. It's a classic and a great book on spiritual enlightenment. Highly recommend to people who are familiar with the topic.

One of my favorite quote by Nisargadatta Maharaj: To find truth, you must not cling to your convictions; if you are sure of the immediate, you will never reach the ultimated. Your idea that you were born and that you will die is absurd - both logic and experience contradict it.

David burns have some good books on this topic like "Intimate connections" and "Feeling good together"

For spiritual stuff i like, David R Hawkings - Power vs Force, Letting go, Healing and recovery

I would recommend "365 ways to be your own life coach" by David Lawrence Preston, "How to Be Brilliant" by Michael Heppell, "The Book of secrets" and  "Maturity – the responsibility of being oneself" by Osho.