How to be wise

Don't Crave Enlightenment

29 posts in this topic

In this audio, an enlightened master works with some people who are craving enlightenment and shows them why they shouldn't be desperately going after it. Amazing video.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

It doesn't matter if you crave or not. What matters is %100 practice, that is what will lead to results . You can crave it as much as u want , in fact a strong sense for liberation is the best 

3 hours ago, Blissout said:

It doesn't matter if you crave or not. What matters is %100 practice, that is what will lead to results . You can crave it as much as u want , in fact a strong sense for liberation is the best 

Not really. If you want it so much and you don't have it, you will feel very depressed. 

3 hours ago, Nahm said:

@Blissout ya. It’s all relative. Byron is right, and also the lady asking the questions would not be asking them had she been practiced. 

Wanting enlightenment shows that you're confused. If I ask you to list all the reasons why you want enlightenment, they will all be groundless and false. It's not that you shouldn't work towards enlightenment, it's that you should be detached from the result. If you're attached to the result, you're confused, and that's what Katie is trying to show those people.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

3 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

Not really. If you want it so much and you don't have it, you will feel very depressed. 

Wanting enlightenment shows that you're confused. If I ask you to list all the reasons why you want enlightenment, they will all be groundless and false. It's not that you shouldn't work towards enlightenment, it's that you should be detached from the result. If you're attached to the result, you're confused, and that's what Katie is trying to show those people.

You are just assuming stuff right now.

I am not depressed nor confused.

All sages I know who got self realized strived very hard for it.

Enlightenment will happen to you regardless your beliefs.

I always craved and strived for results, and hey guess what? I am getting amazing results.

My ego can continue to blablabla as much as as it wants right now

But because i practice eventually the ego will "die" and so will all my beliefs and desires that inhad before the "dying" moment.

However what is important is that you don't let the mind sabotage while you are praciticing self inquiry. 

22 minutes ago, Blissout said:

You are just assuming stuff right now.

I am not depressed nor confused.

All sages I know who got self realized strived very hard for it.

Enlightenment will happen to you regardless your beliefs.

I always craved and strived for results, and hey guess what? I am getting amazing results.

My ego can continue to blablabla as much as as it wants right now

But because i practice eventually the ego will "die" and so will all my beliefs and desires that inhad before the "dying" moment.

However what is important is that you don't let the mind sabotage while you are praciticing self inquiry. 

As I said, working towards enlightenment is not bad. I'm just stating that wanting enlightenment is a product of false beliefs. If you were clear minded, you wouldn't 'want' enlightenment. But that wouldn't stop someone from not working towards it. In fact, that person is far more likely to become enlightened, because they won't get frustrated or quit due to a lack of results, because they don't care about the results. If you question all the reasons why you want enlightenment, you'll realise that they are all not true. None of them.

If you listen to the audio, Byron Katie will show you why.

Edited by How to be wise

I hate to say it but this whole conversation is mental masturbation anyone seeking enlightenment craves it. They crave a release from the pain they crave what they think it is. Any person that seeks anything has a desire to achieve it . Seriously anything that gives someone the drive to meditate and do what needs to be done I see as an means to a end. Crave that enlightenment so much you meditate for 2 hours. Crave it and try to find the answer to a zen koan. Crave the shit out of enlightenment. Whatever gets you off the couch and doing something.

On 11/4/2017 at 8:33 AM, Blissout said:

I agree completely Just practice and you will get there.  After you get a taste of enlightenment and actually what it is you will   stop "craving" the unrealistic notion of what you expect it is. Most beginners think enlightenment is a one time event.

Enlightenment is not a thing to crave it is a ongoing process and after you understand that there is no need for such warnings. 

Let the beginner be a beginner and make the mistakes we all did then they learn that is part of the process as well.

Edited by Source_Mystic

I no longer advocate, participate, condone, or support  actualized.org or Leo Gura in anyway. The reasons are left in the few post I left behind. 

@How to be wise <<<< Does your name not pose a question ? ...And beyond every question is a craving and a desire to know the answer.... after you find the answer there is no craving. 

Edited by Source_Mystic

I no longer advocate, participate, condone, or support  actualized.org or Leo Gura in anyway. The reasons are left in the few post I left behind. 

@Source_Mystic  You're assuming that just because someone doesn't crave enlightenment, they can't achieve it. And that is false. It's completely possible to work towards enlightenment without being attached to the result. If you achieve it you're happy, and if you don't you're still happy. But just because someone doesn't 'need' something, doesn't mean they can't get it. This is the next step of pursuing goals. It's okay to use craving, aka delusion, to motivate yourself, but it'll feel much better to use this 'detached' form of motivation. Don't get me wrong, if you detach yourself from the object, you can still be motivated to pursue it. It's difficult to understand why that motivation still remains unless you try it yourself. Use Byron Katie's work to detach yourself from the goal, and then see what remains. You'll realise that your motivation still remains, but a lot different from your old motivation. 

Edited by How to be wise

@How to be wise  I never said any such thing. The assumption is yours. It does not matter if they crave enlightenment  or not.

What is important is that they start practicing things that get them to it now and stick to it and persist. Craving will naturally fall way. As leaving attachments behind is a level of enlightenment. 

Just telling someone the truth is not how it works the truth must be internalized. 

3 hours ago, How to be wise said:

@Source_Mystic  You're assuming that just because someone doesn't crave enlightenment, they can't achieve it. And that is false. 

Edited by Source_Mystic

6 minutes ago, Source_Mystic said:

@How to be wise more mental masturbation I never said any such thing. The assumption is yours. It does not matter if they crave enlightenment  or not.

What is important is that they start praticing things that get them to it now and stick to it and persist. Craving will naturaly fall way. As leaving attchments behind is a level of enlightenment. 

Just telling somene the truth is not how it works the truth must be intineralized 

The practical step here is to use Byron Katie's work to detach yourself from the goals you're pursuing before deciding what to do next. See, no mental masturbation. 

@How to be wise Pracice  is 100% what is important. I have nothig more to say on this topic.  Good luck 

Dont crave in the way, you wish the things would change, because that leads to suffering, but desire it instead

@Ether yes. Desire with no reason 'why' you want it.

Just now, How to be wise said:

@Ether yes. Desire with no reason 'why' you want it.

You can have a reason. I want happiness because I want to be happy. That is fine. But when you start thinking, I want happiness because my life is insufficient thats when you start suffering.

3 hours ago, Source_Mystic said:

@How to be wise Pracice  is 100% what is important. I have nothig more to say on this topic.  Good luck 

Only if you know what to practice.

The number 1 problem in this path is that 99% don't practice what matters, and even if they do, they are still doing it wrong.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

18 hours ago, Ether said:

You can have a reason. I want happiness because I want to be happy. That is fine. But when you start thinking, I want happiness because my life is insufficient thats when you start suffering.

'I want to be happy' is not true, as you'll see with some investigation. Nothing wrong with motivating yourself with that, but just keep at the back of your mind that it isn't true.

16 hours ago, Shin said:

Only if you know what to practice.

The number 1 problem in this path is that 99% don't practice what matters, and even if they do, they are still doing it wrong.

It's best to question your wants before starting. Just to detach yourself from the result. Then pursue whatever you 'want'. 

On 06/11/2017 at 0:38 PM, How to be wise said:

'I want to be happy' is not true, as you'll see with some investigation. Nothing wrong with motivating yourself with that, but just keep at the back of your mind that it isn't true.

What are you talking about. I do want to be happy. Everybody does. That's just a fact.