Psyche_92

Choosing Between Careers

10 posts in this topic

Hey,

I'm wondering how to decide on a career. I've been thinking a lot about what job i would like to do, but i feel like i can't decide on which one to pursue. For a long time i've been having a dilemma between two options, and i just can't decide on it.

A year ago i almost applied to become a police officer, but didn't go through with it, because i've read somewhere that you won't make a chance if you got into contact with any drugs in your past. Since that time, i didn't really care much more about becoming a police officer, but it kind of left a feeling on me. I think i would make a good officer, and it's kind of lame that i can't apply because i've experimented with some drugs in the past, which is like 6 years ago. I'm not sure if the law in America is the same, but at least in Belgium they are very strict. Anyways, i left it at that, and started to get into self development, which got me into Psychology. 

I became very interested in Psychology, and started reading a lot of books and stuff about it. After 2 years of reading and learning, i got the idea of studying Psychology in university, to become a psychotherapist later on. I went to some information day, and i feel like Psychology resonates a lot with me, but i'm still not sure.

There is still a doubt, which i can't really pinpoint. I forgot about becoming a police officer all together, but it all of a sudden came back a week ago. I don't know what it is, but something keeps dragging me into it. I don't know how to choose. I want them both.

Do massive research on both and then take two days off and go on a solo retreat to contemplate this problem. No one will give you better answer than you yourself. It may turn out you don't really want to become a policeman or psychotherapist either, but it still will be worth it.

On a sidenote, have you ever considered studying Physiotherapy? :D It's like a mix of both, you need to have a good physique and you work with people directly. Later on you could broaden your medical knowledge and become a shaman or a western yogi. xD Just a crazy fantasy, don't listen to me.

@Psyche_92 sound tough man, but good that you are facing this decision now as to cut the head off of it, eh? In my opinion, I would try and pretend in in my mind what it is like to do either option, like REALLY vividly so you feel like you are actually doing both, and then you will probably be able to feel which one is legitamtely the superior choice, it may not work, but that is what I would do, deep down you know which one you want to do :) maybe it's something else, other than those 2? (Is what you may discover>

For me I'm going to try to apply to study psychology, but all spiritual stuff is #1 for me. So hopefully I'll be able to combine the knowledge from both and I see helping people on the spiritual journey more important. Perhaps I'll make videos or guides or write books as well.

You sound like a good candidate for Leo’s Life Purpose Course.  Buy that, and it will work you through all these issues. You gotta find your deepest passion.  

On 17/12/2017 at 8:50 PM, YaNanNallari said:

For me I'm going to try to apply to study psychology, but all spiritual stuff is #1 for me. So hopefully I'll be able to combine the knowledge from both and I see helping people on the spiritual journey more important. Perhaps I'll make videos or guides or write books as well.

Good idea. When i went to an information day in my local university, i had a conversation with a prof and he said that existential therapy was an upcoming field. I’m not sure if this is true though, but it sounds interesting.

18 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

You sound like a good candidate for Leo’s Life Purpose Course.  Buy that, and it will work you through all these issues. You gotta find your deepest passion.  

I’m doing the course :p. At the moment i’m at the start of the life purpose exercises. I don’t even know why i’m still doubting my purpose, since everything keeps leading me to Psychology and becoming a therapist. I have a strange feeling that it’s not doubt, but rather being scared to take the leap. It would be a big step out of my comfort zone.

2 hours ago, Psyche_92 said:

Good idea. When i went to an information day in my local university, i had a conversation with a prof and he said that existential therapy was an upcoming field. I’m not sure if this is true though, but it sounds interesting.

That sounds exactly like something I'd love to do!

12 minutes ago, YaNanNallari said:

That sounds exactly like something I'd love to do!

Yea, same here. It would at least appeal a little bit more to me than solving basic issues with clients ( i think ). The question is, how many clients will you get that are dealing with things like these. My last therapist told me that i was the only one that ever spoke to her about non-duality, and that it's very uncommon. She told me that most people are satisfied with getting their small problems "fixed", and that they don't really dig any deeper. Of course she had clients that were dealing with existential questions, but they were mostly based on basics.