kieranperez

16+ Years Of Psych Medication & Pd/raising Of Consciousness?

21 posts in this topic

This is more directly towards @Leo Gura but if anyone else has any true valuable opinions and points on this I would love feedback.

I'm 22 and have been on psych medication since I was 6 starting off for ADHD. Before I got on it (adderall) I was tested for the disorder for 6 months in extensive multi hour procedures. Now though, I'm currently on the following medications:

- Adderall 

- Lamictil

- Abilify

- Prozac

I've been on more at the same time. The Adderall honestly just allows me to function because if I go several hours without it over the course of a single day I can't get out of bed and sleep all day because I have no energy. It can be quite crazy how tired I get if I don't take it. The more I don't take it, the more crazy tired I get. Can't imagine being off of it for more than a couple days. It's not that I have a craving for it at all mentally and emotionally. It's just that my body relies on it now pretty much but it's not like a normal withdrawal. I literally can't function without it and not sleep all day. So if I don't take it I can't get ANYTHING done during the day and I mean that quite literally. So that's a tough predicament. Adderall was also assigned to treat very clear symptoms of OCD that I do have.

The Lamictil and Abilify are assigned as mood stabilizers. If I'm off Abilify for more than 2 days I can get borderline suicidal. A few days without Lamicitil I just can't think clearly at all and just very depressed in general. 

The problem for one is that I basically don't feel like I get anything out of these medications. However, that's hard to say because it's been YEARS since I've been on just 1 medication (the Adderall which I've taken for the majority of my life) so it is tough to say I'd be better off without them because I don't know what I'd be like if I was off them and have them all out of my system. The other thing though is that I don't see HOW I could possibly get off them at this point. I mean, I literally cannot do anything if I'm not even on a single 1. 

I really want to get valuable feedback. I think this topic would help A LOT of people. I also want to point out that I do trust my psychiatrist. He works with me to even try and get me off them when necessary. He's gotten me off a few others entirely. I have a great relationship with him and I know he's not scheming me or anything. 

Thanks guys!

I other words you're a junkie ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

You've talked about Neurofeedback in the past. Do you think this could be a good tool to transition off of these? Believe me, if I can get off them in a way that doesn't mean I can't do anything and not function, then I'll do it and works towards it in a heartbeat. Plus, I'm tired of going to CVS lol

@kieranperez Yes, it might.

The thing you gotta keep in mind is that you've been taking these drugs for so long that they've now solidly become your crutch. So there's little chance you'll get off them unless you're willing to take a temporary hit in terms of time, energy, productivity, emotions, and body feeling.

Like a heroin junkie, coming off won't be easy, but then again, what's the alternative? A life of addiction?

@Leo Gura that's pretty much been my train of thought. I've been spending some time contemplating and have a rough outline of establishing a base of "success" since I still need to move out and what not. Build up finances and really establish myself where I can support myself because trying to turn my life around in terms of earning and generating basic success while going through withdrawals I know I would be experience just doesn't work ever for me based on personal history of trying to do so. So my thoughts are establishing general success but really being 100% committed from now on till the day I die about meditation. Once I got my feet under me and am supporting myself then I think I can really make this a priority in regards to getting off all these medications. I'm already struggling with studying for my real estate license exam. Withdrawal will just make that virtually impossible. The great side though is that I can build a great foundation of meditation and consciousness work leading up to when I can finally work on getting off all this junk which I can imagine would really help in the withdrawal process. 

Also I think I'm going to make a habit of living mindfully daily to build up my awareness. I can imagine that in it of itself would be a huge supplement to this work of detoxing.

Gotta be strategic right? haha

@kieranperez Another option is to do the opposite. Focus on getting off it now, while you're not so reliant on earning success. Once you get wrapped up with a job and earning success, it will all the more difficult to find time off to deal with your drug problem.

But I'm not you, so I'm not telling you what to do. Just offering ideas.

That's a fair point. My concern is just how long the withdrawal will take. 

@kieranperez Yes, understandably. But it will be a concern regardless of when you do it.

The Adderall honestly just allows me to function because if I go several hours without it over the course of a single day I can't get out of bed and sleep all day because I have no energy. It can be quite crazy how tired I get if I don't take it. The more I don't take it, the more crazy tired I get. Can't imagine being off of it for more than a couple days.

I literally can't function without it and not sleep all day. So if I don't take it I can't get ANYTHING done during the day and I mean that quite literally. So that's a tough predicament. Adderall was also assigned to treat very clear symptoms of OCD that I do have.

The Lamictil and Abilify are assigned as mood stabilizers. If I'm off Abilify for more than 2 days I can get borderline suicidal. A few days without Lamicitil I just can't think clearly at all and just very depressed in general. 

The problem for one is that I basically don't feel like I get anything out of these medications. However, that's hard to say because it's been YEARS since I've been on just 1 medication (the Adderall which I've taken for the majority of my life) so it is tough to say I'd be better off without them because I don't know what I'd be like if I was off them and have them all out of my system. 

I'm confused about why you don't feel like you are getting anything out of your medications based on the things from the first quote I posted. If they are helping you then I don't think it would be a good idea to get off of them. I can relate to the fact that you are curious about what the effect might be if you were off of them and if they are actually hurting more then they are helping. That is the impression I got from your post at least. The difference with me though is that I don't see many if any results from my medications. Then again maybe I don't realize the benefits because I never quit them.

The most important thing is to talk to your psychiatrist about what you posted here and to not do anything without their input and approval.  At least that is my opinion.

The Adderall honestly just allows me to function because if I go several hours without it over the course of a single day I can't get out of bed and sleep all day because I have no energy. It can be quite crazy how tired I get if I don't take it. The more I don't take it, the more crazy tired I get. Can't imagine being off of it for more than a couple days. It's not that I have a craving for it at all mentally and emotionally. It's just that my body relies on it now pretty much but it's not like a normal withdrawal. I literally can't function without it and not sleep all day. So if I don't take it I can't get ANYTHING done during the day and I mean that quite literally. So that's a tough predicament. 

I have been having a problem with sleeping insane amounts of time and in general not being able to have a regular a sleep schedule. This has been a problem for me for a long time. The first pill I have tried to fix this problem was Adderall. I started it a little bit ago. It helped a bit but not really so they recently increased the dose. If you don't mind me asking what dosage of Adderall helped you fix your sleeping problem? If you don't want to post it on the forum would you mind private messaging me the dosage? I don't want to pressure you, and if you would not like to give out this information I totally understand. 

Edited by TeamBills
proof read, added question

13 hours ago, TeamBills said:

I have been having a problem with sleeping insane amounts of time and in general not being able to have a regular a sleep schedule. This has been a problem for me for a long time. The first pill I have tried to fix this problem was Adderall. I started it a little bit ago. It helped a bit but not really so they recently increased the dose. If you don't mind me asking what dosage of Adderall helped you fix your sleeping problem? If you don't want to post it on the forum would you mind private messaging me the dosage? I don't want to pressure you, and if you would not like to give out this information I totally understand. 

I'm a little confused with your question with what you're asking. My crazy sleep comes from not taking my Adderall because my body is so reliant on it just to function. I take 20 mg. Don't worry, it's no big deal to ask haha I already listed all my current medications anyway.

@kieranperez Just read this thread and I too think you should do it immediately, if you have the money to live a certain period of time being unproductive.
Keep in mind this could take months, because the neurotransmitters in your brain are completely changed (meaning altered from the normal untouched state living without drugs). But the brain is proven to be able to recover, because of neuroplacity.

Get off the drugs first, then get your life handled. Good Luck!

17 hours ago, kieranperez said:

I'm a little confused with your question with what you're asking. My crazy sleep comes from not taking my Adderall because my body is so reliant on it just to function. I take 20 mg. Don't worry, it's no big deal to ask haha I already listed all my current medications anyway.

You mentioned you sleep way too much and that you sleep all day with little energy if you go several hours without the Adderall. Were you given the Adderall to fix this problem or did you get this problem after you started taking the Adderall? 

On 1. 11. 2017 at 4:19 AM, kieranperez said:

The great side though is that I can build a great foundation of meditation and consciousness work leading up to when I can finally work on getting off all this junk which I can imagine would really help in the withdrawal process. 

I'm not sure if I'm really qualified to comment, but I did recently get off mood stabilizers (low dosage, no real withdrawal), so I did think about the topic a bit. When cutting down on medication, you'll basically encounter two issues

1. the withdrawal symptoms
  2. the original problem which led to prescribing the medicine -- unless you've already moved past that

IMHO medication makes sense if it buys you time to work on yourself and (for example) shift the mindset that led to you being depressed, but if on medication you did nothing about it, you're likely to encounter it again once you come off. This can also be a good thing because you'll have to deal with it :), but if you couldn't cope before (that's why you got medicated) and nothing has changed then it's likely to knock you off your feet again. 

That's why I think your above-quoted approach has something to it. The psychiatrist will tell you how to go slowly to manage withdrawal (hopefully), but he'll not tell you how to fix your original problem (that's why he's got meds, haha). 

If you feel strong enough to start getting off them, definitely start with the chemical that's the easiest to get rid of and take it easy one by one. Cut down on dosage slowly working with your psychiatrist, and look what issues emerge from your psyche that have been hidden by the veil of medication. The process can take months for each of the chemicals, plus maybe some stabilization period before you tackle the next one, no problem. You've got habits to develop to tame your unknown self, so there's no rush - but one more reason not to wait. On the other hand, one reason to wait could be if you feel that putting some habit in place first could really help, and another reason could be if your parents are not supportive of this and you really want to move away first. 

At least that's my take, good luck!

Edited by Elisabeth

1 hour ago, Elisabeth said:

but he'll not tell you how to fix your original problem (that's why he's got meds, haha)

Not true. Psychiatrists aren't particularly trained in psychotherapy most of the time which is why they aren't the practitioners who typically do deep inner work in helping their patients. In other words, that's not their job. Yes there are sleazy psychiatrists out their but it's the same as how there's always sleazy people in all walks of different industries. If he didn't think I would be best on medication, he'd take me off. Been working with him for 6+ years. 

@kieranperez I'm not sure what you're arguing with. I didn't say he's sleazy, I said he's giving you meds to help you cope with the problem, but that on it's own isn't fixing it.