Pure Imagination

Do All Thoughts Come From The Ego?

8 posts in this topic

I wanted to get your guys' take on this question. In my experience, most thoughts come from the ego but occasionally thoughts arise that seem to be more inspired from the true self rather than the separate self. An example could be teachings of Matt Kahn that are about loving yourself. It is still the mind stating the love, but wouldn't that thought be more truth inspired rather than ego inspired?

Now I get that in a sense thoughts are by definition not your true self because they are content in awareness rather than the nothingness. But in my opinion that statement oversimplifies how the mind can be useful in discovering your true nature. And doesn't non-duality include the content in awareness as well?

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Edited by Pure Imagination
Typo

the phenomenom thought is part of Reality just like sound and light. they have no origin because Reality is a field of continuous impermanence so everything you name is actually a beginless/endless process of transformation rather than a "thing".

ego is another "thing".

unborn Truth

@ajasatya that's a good point! I guess trying to label thoughts as ego or true self could be seen as merely an arbitrary distinction. All thoughts by definition come from our true nature of nothingness.

@Pure Imagination look in your direct experience now. Sit and wait untill a thought comes up. Where does this "thought" come from? Where does it go? 

Don't answer with mind, answer yourself with direct experience. Don't fool yourself for thinking you know.

You'll know eventually. It becomes absolutely clear. 

Edited by Vitamine Water

The art is to look without looking 

@Pure Imagination I've spent so much time creating definitions, concepts, parts. Searching for that "something". . . No, that's not it. Maybe this. Not that either. . . Perhaps it's a good exercise. . .  Yet, what happens when all those thoughts and concepts get blown away? What is left? And what happens when the thoughts and concepts reappear? Are they within what was left or distinct from what was left? What if it's all "you". That every thought "IS". That's all. No more or less "IS" than any other thought?

Yes, the self is simply awareness , it doesn't generate thoughts 

@Pure Imagination do you ever get random thoughts that seem to come out of nowhere, while in the middle of a mind conversation? those are trippy...

Edited by starsofclay

2 hours ago, Vitamine Water said:

@Pure Imagination look in your direct experience now. Sit and wait untill a thought comes up. Where does this "thought" come from? Where does it go? 

Don't answer with mind, answer yourself with direct experience. Don't fool yourself for thinking you know.

You'll know eventually. It becomes absolutely clear. 

Very good advice! Thank you :)

2 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

@Pure Imagination I've spent so much time creating definitions, concepts, parts. Searching for that "something". . . No, that's not it. Maybe this. Not that either. . . Perhaps it's a good exercise. . .  Yet, what happens when all those thoughts and concepts get blown away? What is left? And what happens when the thoughts and concepts reappear? Are they within what was left or distinct from what was left? What if it's all "you". That every thought "IS". That's all. No more or less "IS" than any other thought?

I do this many times a day and I always come to the conclusion that I am the empty awareness the knows the thoughts. I just lose that insight pretty quickly and I have to go through this process again and again.

1 hour ago, starsofclay said:

@Pure Imagination do you ever get random thoughts that seem to come out of nowhere, while in the middle of a mind conversation? those are trippy...

When I'm really conscious, I can see that I'm not even authoring the thoughts and they are all appearing without my consent. Now that's a trippy experience :)