Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LaucherJunge

Music While Meditating

18 posts in this topic

What do you think about listening to music as a meditation practise? I don't mean the typical relaxing meditation music but regular music.

You're asking this because it feels like music centers you?  You're relaxed and de-stressed by music?  Less thoughts?

I would think it would depend on your goal for meditating.  If all you want is de-stress and relaxation go for it.

It's been my experience that music will....stick around in my head after it's off.  I'll hum the tune, bang on the desk a beat, and most times just belt out some random lyrics to a song.  It's also been my experience that tracks/songs/lyrics will create thoughts, which can than lead to emotions.  Which isn't bad...it's not good either lol...apparently.

So yeah, final answer, a musical mediation practice could be beneficial to someone who's looking for relaxation and de-stressing.

@Just10
I am actually just looking to surrender into whatever arises with this kind of meditation. It is mostly not relaxing music, usually on the contrary.

sounds extremely distracting, If your goal is to be aware of the present moment then I think that the music will pull you away from the now

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

12 minutes ago, Adam M said:

sounds extremely distracting, If your goal is to be aware of the present moment then I think that the music will pull you away from the now

The music is actually used as the anchor to the now in this case, like you can actually listen to music mindfully.

@Adam M  It is not possible to leave the now. What would such an experience look like?

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

Just try it out. you learn tenfold more from experimentation.

Personally i gravitate more and more to regular silent meditation. I used to listens alot to meditative music but nowdays i just get sleepy from it. 

5 minutes ago, Jacobsen said:

Just try it out. you learn tenfold more from experimentation.

Personally i gravitate more and more to regular silent meditation. I used to listens alot to meditative music but nowdays i just get sleepy from it. 

In fact I already did it like 2-3 times a week for some time now. And I really feel how the music is giving me more energy, always when I have alot of energy in meditation I am having this very fast flashes of white light all over my sensory field, with listening to music while meditating this always happens, well not so much with relaxing meditation music, but with powerful epic music especially.

I think it can be a useful tool, especially for noobies.

The criticism that I have heard is that it can be used as a crutch. Might possibly limit the depth of ones practice or make a person dependent on the music to achieve certain states which makes it more difficult to meditate if you don't have your music and the environment you're used to. 

What happens when the music isn't there though?

Do you crave the music?  Can you be without music as well as you can with music?

If not well.../shrug

@LaucherJunge Sure, you can use it as a concentration practice, or try to listen to the music while you're centered in awareness, so that you don't get "absorbed" by the sounds. 

But I would personally not use it as a replacement for traditional meditation, bacause it has proven to have the most benefit. Rather, use it as an additional practice to train your awareness.

Edited by Vitamine Water

The art is to look without looking 

@Just10
No, I usually meditate without the music.
@Vitamine Water
 Yes, that  is pretty much what I do. Of course I would never use it to replace regular meditations, just as a kind of bonus.

In my experience i lose interest in what is the "right" way to do things as i go along this journey. Even this discussion seems a bit redundant in all fairness but i like to help. 

@Adam M When are you getting lost in thoughts? 

You are always doing everything now. Think about it, have you ever done something at a time other than right now?

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

@Max_V

10 hours ago, Max_V said:

@Adam M When are you getting lost in thoughts? 

You are always doing everything now. Think about it, have you ever done something at a time other than right now?

I understand u entirely......

But I am talking about BEING AWARE of the present 

Everything always happens in the now but when we get lost in the content of our thoughts we lose touch with this truth...

Right?

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

@Adam M Watch this video. It should clear things up for you.

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus