Viking

How Should I Approach Egoic Desires?

5 posts in this topic

I understand only conceptually and only with belief that I dont exist. this belief is supported by the fact that I cant find myself while I do self inquiry. but that's all there is to it, I didnt realize yet truly that I dont exist.

with all that in mind, the character I perceive myself to be wants approval from others, feels good when it gets complimented, wants to be better than others, etc. 

how should I (this character) approach these desires? should I just accept them, not follow them and move on? or should I inquire into what do I really want behind these egoic desires?

Or should I just follow them until I realize I dont exist, which then will just make following these desires seem stupid?

@Ilya notice the amount of suffering that arises because of that desire. be mindful of the internal agitation and observe it until it vanishes. be mindful of the utterly unnecessary effort that's required to strengthen impressions about a character and make a lucid decision: do you want to feed that lie?

unborn Truth

What would the character you perceive yourself to be do?

@Ilya I also have to deal with so many egoic desires: I noticed that I need approval and validation from others, I want to be loved ecc.

It's crucial to not built up resistance to those wants, otherwise they'll become part of your shadow and grow like monsters xD judging those 'bad' desires and blaming yourself will just feed them. 

we need to accept those desires. tell yourself 'it's ok to feel this way' 'whatever I feel, is okay.' be kind to yourself <3 tell yourself 'it's ok' and then observe what happens. I've been trying this lately and it immediately takes away the tension of 'oh shit, I should x'

whatever arises, love that

You don't have any control.  Just be aware.  There is no you that has control!   You gotta grok that.

Edited by Joseph Maynor