Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Healing Your Mental Problems Yourself

21 posts in this topic

Am I the only one who actually believes you can heal yourself from heavy mental problems like addictions, anxieties, massive panic attacks, traumas, depressions, fears and other mental illness if you only believed in it and were dedicated and knew how to do it?

It should be possible when you learn to reprogramm your subconscious mind and you stick to it. Affirmations, visualisations, meditations and spiritual work all can contribute to this. People are visiting therapists and psychologists and doctors for healing, but only yourself are the master of your mind. If people would actually discover that it's possible to reprogramm yourself, the need for those over expensive therapies would be over and people would suffer a lot less.

People love to play the victim role. But if they would step up and take responsibility, there would surely be a way to heal yourself just with the tools you have. Your mind, your spirit and your body. What do you think about this?

Sure. People can and do overcome.

I also think some people simply could use help and there's nothing wrong with that. And even if they could do it themselves, they might find a lot of use and accelerated growth from interacting with professionals or people experienced in mental illness, depression, addiction, or whatever else. Even if you're doing it "yourself" chances are that you're drinking from a wellspring of knowledge that's being indirectly shared by others. So in that sense, you're never really doing it yourself.

I think that sometimes the compassion and guidance of another can be critical. People work themselves into emotional and egoic patterns so deep that you could drop all the knowledge, affirmations and methods of subconscious reprogramming you want and it will be of no use. I think we've all had an experience where we tried to help someone who was depressed and found all our spiritual kung-fu fell flat. I think you're sharing a message of empowerment and that's a wonderful thing and I think for some it will be very useful. For others, who knows? 

Sometimes I'm not even sure if I'm responsible for my own thoughts and intuitions, and if they're not coming from me, then it personally makes no difference whether the message comes from my own voice or someone else. Sometimes you're graced or blessed enough to be able to resolve your own conflicts, and if not, I would hope that grace might come from elsewhere. 

14 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

Am I the only one who actually believes you can heal yourself from heavy mental problems like addictions, anxieties, massive panic attacks, traumas, depressions, fears and other mental illness if you only believed in it and were dedicated and knew how to do it?

It should be possible when you learn to reprogram your subconscious mind and you stick to it. Affirmations, visualizations, meditations and spiritual work all can contribute to this. People are visiting therapists and psychologists and doctors for healing, but only yourself are the master of your mind. If people would actually discover that it's possible to reprogram yourself, the need for those over expensive therapies would be over and people would suffer a lot less.

People love to play the victim role. But if they would step up and take responsibility, there would surely be a way to heal yourself just with the tools you have. Your mind, your spirit and your body. What do you think about this?

Hello @The Alchemist

Great thread!  I hope you are doing well this morning? :)

"Am I the only one?"  Highly improbable? 

16 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

It should be possible when you learn to reprogram your subconscious mind and you stick to it

If it were possible, all people would be capable of doing it?  Many are not, so this "should" is not an "is."

20 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

People are visiting therapists and psychologists and doctors for healing, but only yourself are the master of your mind. If people would actually discover that it's possible to reprogram yourself, the need for those over expensive therapies would be over and people would suffer a lot less.

Sometimes people can get stuck.  Some people have serious mental health illnesses which require the assistance of medical and mental health professionals.   (IE: brain trauma, schizophrenia, etc.  )  Another should versus a what is?

The victim role:  A balance? When you have been a victim of say a violent crime?  You are going to have a grieving process.   You have been a victim, many victims default to self blame and self loathing, thus they need to hear, it was not your fault.  (IE: It's not your fault you were raped.) 

I would offer a different approach for your consideration...

Its a healing space, not a space to camp forever.   At some point if you want a whole and happy life you challenge yourself to move beyond the event; with or without the help of someone, and move to survivor and then hopefully onto thriver.   By my observation its baby steps and not a linear process.

Each person is different, working within a different framework of understanding, so I try to remember to allow each his or her own path.  :) 

5 minutes ago, Arman said:

I also think some people simply could use help and there's nothing wrong with that. And even if they could do it themselves, they might find a lot of use and accelerated growth from interacting with professionals or people experienced in mental illness, depression, addiction, or whatever else. Even if you're doing it "yourself" chances are that you're drinking from a wellspring of knowledge that's being indirectly shared by others. So in that sense, you're never really doing it yourself.

Hi @Arman I like this observation.

5 minutes ago, Arman said:

I think that sometimes the compassion and guidance of another can be critical. People work themselves into emotional and egoic patterns so deep that you could drop all the knowledge, affirmations and methods of subconscious reprogramming you want and it will be of no use. I think we've all had an experience where we tried to help someone who was depressed and found all our spiritual kung-fu fell flat. I think you're sharing a message of empowerment and that's a wonderful thing and I think for some it will be very useful. For others, who knows? 

I find this truthful by observation as well. :)

6 minutes ago, Arman said:

Sometimes I'm not even sure if I'm responsible for my own thoughts and intuitions, and if they're not coming from me, then it personally makes no difference whether the message comes from my own voice or someone else. Sometimes you're graced or blessed enough to be able to resolve your own conflicts, and if not, I would hope that grace might come from elsewhere. 

This?  I wholly agree with.  It makes you grateful when you have an epiphany as the result of someone just phrasing something a new way.  We really do all learn from one another. ;)

Full ack, replacing (or even better: deleting all) false assumptions and mindsets is almost everything to overcome crazy mental conditions, as long as they are not physiologically determined.

Switching the point of view is really powerful.

9 minutes ago, Locooig said:

replacing (or even better: deleting all) false assumptions and mindsets is almost everything to overcome crazy mental conditions, as long as they are not physiologically determined.

Switching the point of view is really powerful.

Hi @Locooig

I'm not certain this is true?  I would love it if it was true.     What are "crazy mental conditions...not physiologically determined?"

(Precision is important, why we have a DSM, so we understand root causation versus correlation and we are working with the same definitions.) :)

Can a person eliminate ALL false assumptions?  Can a person eliminate all Mindsets?  You statement is a mindset, albeit just a "different" mindset.

I do think its true that doing this is a part of the process, I also agree switching point of view is power. :) 

Thanks for your comment.  

DSM is a joke, seriously.

Soon we have 7 billion illnesses described by it, for every human one condition.

Negative thought patterns of self-sabotage are something one can change, as i experienced it, but changing an mutated enzyme in your brain chemistry by adjusting your behavior would be really hard. -> that's what i meant

Thank you Kelley, appreciate your question

Hahah I do generally refer to it as the DSM WTF myself, but I also look at it with context.  It is created by academics attempting to use definitions to describe behaviors and spectrums of behavior.

8 minutes ago, Locooig said:

Negative thought patterns of self-sabotage are something one can change, as i experienced it, but changing an mutated enzyme in your brain chemistry by adjusting your behavior would be really hard. -> that's what i meant

We agree on that for certain. :)  You are very welcome, and thank you. :)

@The Alchemist remember, all of those are tools (Affirmations, visualisations, meditations and spiritual work)

yes, self help is possible, but it required strong well, it is like with a one who have broken leg and want to leave the room or house, you see, he could use a support (like medications, under supervise of course) or friends who know what they are doing, or he could try to fight his pain alone without support and stand up or crawl or roll out i don't know tell he reach to his destination

or he could get support to fight the pain while finding the reason of his real issue (with support again from experts) and find the a way from inside to cure the problem, and stand still for a while tell the leg get fully cured, or at least he can walk on it, if you get what i am trying to say.

Edited by Cookiesliyr

I think it is possible for many people, but I am sure there are many others who need an outside perspective with an experienced person to make progress and not get stuck. Also, some people have much more severe disorders than others-- self-help would certainly be much tougher. I'm sure therapists,psychologists, and psychiatrists are quite aware that they are necessary but also that many people can help themselves as well.

Not to mention, there is the whole factor of opportunity cost. Self-help may be important, but doing things yourself can be very time consuming and confusing-- I'm sure many people benefit from professional guidance. 

I'm not sure how that goes with people who absolutely require medication due to brain chemistry issues. My intuition tells me self-help would only be so helpful with them as well.

No one else can heal you but you. Going to therapy is all about realizing this, because only after you've tried everything else, can you get motivated to health yourself.

1 hour ago, Pallero said:

No one else can heal you but you.

Exactly! I often realize and find the best ways to deal with my problems when I talk to someone. It's always like:" wait, wait YES THAT'S IT! Aha, that's why and this is how I solve it!" :D Definitely love those moments. It's more a monologue than a dialogue and my conversation partner is like:O.o

Even my worst mental Problem (depression) became a joke to me.

Conclusion: I'm my own therapist.:)

Thank you for all the replies fellow actualizers! It is very true that a lot of people need an outside person to guide them to the solution and often a mentally damaged person cannot get the motivation or the strength to simply do it alone. But still I am convinced that with superior knowledge and simple tools such as affirmations I would go to my panic ridden friend and tell her: "Hey, you wanna go to therapy? No need, just do affirmations and visualizations for 3 months and you will be allright." and she is like: "Oh, okay I'll do it, thanks!" and she sticks to it and does it and soon, the panic attacks are gone. Notice that my friend still needs an outside guidance for this, but it is much quicker and easier than going on medication and expensive therapy for months and years. This is somehow like a dream of me...somehow getting people so far that they can stop being victims and use their own power to heal themselves only with a minimum of outside help. I believe this is possible. I even believe that a good Life Coach can not only help you achieve higher goals in life and help you overcome problems, but a Life Coach can also help you heal mental problems just like a therapist. This making the Life Coach ultimately superior to any psychologist. But it is hard to put this into practice because a lot of mentally damaged people don't have the will/power and the self-reliance to heal themselves. This is the biggest problem. Even if they actually could do it, they won't, because they are too deep in the victim mentality. I don't know yet what to do about this.

You could kind of argue this both ways: you never heal your self or that you are the only one who ever heals yourself. I guess both are true.

This is something I accept as fact. People can, and do, overcome addictions and mental problems without medical intervention.

One must understand a problem to address it. This understanding can come from learning from those that have gone before, or from your own discovery. I believe these problems are not entirely solved in a vacuum. Everyone gets a little help from time to time.

Anyway, this is something I have seen and personally experienced. It can be done.

On 3/3/2016 at 9:04 AM, WarPants said:

This is something I accept as fact. People can, and do, overcome addictions and mental problems without medical intervention.

One must understand a problem to address it. This understanding can come from learning from those that have gone before, or from your own discovery. I believe these problems are not entirely solved in a vacuum. Everyone gets a little help from time to time.

Anyway, this is something I have seen and personally experienced. It can be done.

@WarPants  I agree.  Some can, some perhaps cannot. 

On 2/25/2016 at 11:55 AM, Dhana Choko said:

You could kind of argue this both ways: you never heal your self or that you are the only one who ever heals yourself. I guess both are true.

I tend to find this more accurate.

On 2/25/2016 at 3:48 AM, The Son said:

Even if they actually could do it, they won't, because they are too deep in the victim mentality.

I am not certain this is true. 

Mental illness is complex, some causes can be physiological or due to brain injury and are not related to the aforementioned issue at all.

On 2/25/2016 at 10:32 PM, Pallero said:

No one else can heal you but you

I find this true to a degree.  Yes you heal you.  That said?  Tools are great to have and not all tool boxes come equipped with the same tools.  Therapists, life coaches, wise friends, advisers, mentors, all of these folks give us tools, support and accountability which hopefully set us up for success, whatever success means to you.  :)

Great thread, lots of good ideas, I've learned quite a bit myself, thank you.

Being a "crazy" person myself and having completed shy of 500 hours of therapy, I feel I am qualified to make the following comment:

The problem with being crazy is that you don't think you are crazy.  

It's everybody else that's crazy!

:|

In my opinion, this is the main reason we have psychotherapy

On 22.2.2016 at 5:23 PM, The Son said:

if you only believed in it and were dedicated and knew how to do it

On 22.2.2016 at 5:23 PM, The Son said:

People are visiting therapists and psychologists and doctors for healing, but only yourself are the master of your mind

@The Son i see it very simple:

till a certain point we are all able to heal ourself..

It just becomes difficult as soon as one isn't present enough at the beginning to remark it and rectifie the issue (it doesn't matter if it's physical or psychic).

And even more difficult as the crucial point isn't easy to determine: it changes with every situation and every person

I think it does not matter if someone is "helping" you. you are alone and only you can walk on your healing way

When I went to a psychologist for help with my anxiety issues, they didn't want to treat me unless I gave up smoking cannabis, which I had been doing for about 15 years of which 5 years more or less daily. Otherwise they wanted to send me to a kind of drug clinic for treatment. So I just finished smoking the pot I already had at home and haven't smoked since then. I don't know how it is with heavier drugs since I have never tried anything stronger than cannabis, but based on my own experience I believe that when it comes to lighter addictions like ciggarettes/cannabis it is just a question of wanting to let go and realising that you don't need it. But I don't think I would have managed to quit unless my boyfriend had done it as well. To be in a close relationship with someone who has the same addiction as you and who continues using will only make you fall back to your all habits, at least that's how I felt a few years earlier when I stopped smoking ciggarettes. Ciggarettes where all around me and with all my friends smoking the temptation was in my face the whole time. Now that I have broken that habit I couldn't care less if someone is smoking in front of me, I just find it disgusting instead.