The White Belt

Working On Lp Is Triggering Intrusive Thoughts.

12 posts in this topic

Hey.

I'm working hard on my LP which is acting, but as a results i'm getting intrusive thoughts (I apparently have OCD but it hasn't shown it's head until i've started work on my LP), which can be sick in content. 

I'm always conscious about how much i'm swallowing  saliva also, which is weird, I think it's related to anxiety,

and i'm just getting a load of resistance and guilty feelings. A lot of my guilt comes from actualized.org, because at the moment I can't split my focus between my LP and this advanced spiritual stuff, which is making all these thoughts come up saying i'm making a mistake not getting enlightened instead, but acting is what I want to devote my life to and this stuff has just been plugged into me because i've watched so many of Leo's videos that I feel so bad about it.

Any thoughts?

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

@The White Belt Why can't you split your focus?

Why not simply meditate 30 minutes a day (or whatever suits you right now) to advance yourself to enlightenment? 

The meditation will also help you focus working on your LP and help you deal better with those intrusive thoughts.

Seems like a win-win-win to me.

Easy choices, hard life. Hard choices, easy life.

@krazzer I'm still meditating, 20 mins per day. Haven't missed a day in 7 months. Still getting a lot of intrusive thoughts. My theory is that it's coming up because I've started and it's that beginning resistance manifesting in the 'best' way it knows how. I feel if I keep plugging away and I get my mind to know i'm serious about this, then it will die off a bit. Right now it's a bit brutal, I can handle it, but i'm even having bad nightmares.

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

@The White Belt Great job on sticking to your meditation habit for so long!

Have you watched this video? 

It explains how meditation has it's up and down effects you need to work though. It gave me amazing insight.

@krazzer Thanks, but we're going off topic here. It's not to do with meditation.

― Shunryu Suzuki

@The White Belt Hey man, it's inspiring to hear that you're working on an LP.  I don't think that the LP is causing the intrusive thoughts but it may be triggering them to arise like you said... I think that your guilty feelings may have to do with your OCD... Honestly dude, I don't think that there's any one specific fix for your problem.  Keep doing self-help and eventually your psyche will mature enough that your issue will become a non-issue.  Also, your feelings of resistance seem very vague which may be a sign that you're Upper Limiting yourself.  There's so many aspects of self-help that will make you feel better including Gay Hendricks' "The Big Leap".  There are definitely hundreds of books that I haven't read that help you with your exact problem...the only tip I can give is keep doing self help and don't force yourself to work on your LP too relentlessly, you need to make compromises with your resistance. 

Also...keep meditating...never stop...try increasing your time from 20 to 30 minutes...mindfulness with labelling works for me

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

@The White Belt Do you have a daily exercise routine? You might need to ground yourself some more.

Thanks everyone. I'll take a look at the book. Yes I exercise daily. 

― Shunryu Suzuki

@The White Belt It seems like you suffer from intense anxiety which can be a major distraction. You can keep the spiritual stuff aside for a while because it all gets jumbled up. So try to segregate things and prioritize them. 

Your ocd could be contributing to this problem. Often when you have ocd, you lose focus and cling to things that drain your energy. Not good.  

Btw,  you always need to have a plan  B on your plate. I mean other than acting.  

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

@The White Belt The mind always creates resistance when you try to make big positive changes to your life. This is normal. I always experience resistance when I start a big important self-help course. Just try as best you can to push through it and maintain consistency. Over time, the mind will quiet down. The trick is to not let the whining get you to quit a good thing.

Remember, that you also don't need to be 100% perfect in doing the course. 80% is good enough. 80% is enough to change your life.

Don't feel bad about finding your life purpose. It's really a necessary component of a conscious life. Even if you got enlightenment tomorrow, you would still want to develop a conscious way of making a living. So by doing this work now, you are helping yourself become conscious, and then in the future take the ultimate step to enlightenment.

Don't feel guilty for walking a comprehensive spiritual path. Just make sure you don't get trapped in success to the point where you neglect enlightenment.

Anything you can do to make your life more conscious is a great thing. Whether it's cleaning up your diet, relationships, career, friendships, or whatever. That is NOT wasted effort. That's all great stuff which is part of the comprehensive spiritual path. Sure, it's not directly related to enlightenment, but you gotta start with getting the basics in place or you will be unable to sustain enlightenment.

Remember, that if you're still young -- like in your 20's -- you've got plenty of time to pace yourself and address many aspects of your life. Just don't take that as license to slack off and watch TV.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

21 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@The White Belt The mind always creates resistance when you try to make big positive changes to your life. This is normal. I always experience resistance when I start a big important self-help course. Just try as best you can to push through it and maintain consistency. Over time, the mind will quiet down. The trick is to not let the whining get you to quit a good thing.

Remember, that you also don't need to be 100% perfect in doing the course. 80% is good enough. 80% is enough to change your life.

Don't feel bad about finding your life purpose. It's really a necessary component of a conscious life. Even if you got enlightenment tomorrow, you would still want to develop a conscious way of making a living. So by doing this work now, you are helping yourself become conscious, and then in the future take the ultimate step to enlightenment.

Don't feel guilty for walking a comprehensive spiritual path. Just make sure you don't get trapped in success to the point where you neglect enlightenment.

Anything you can do to make your life more conscious is a great thing. Whether it's cleaning up your diet, relationships, career, friendships, or whatever. That is NOT wasted effort. That's all great stuff which is part of the comprehensive spiritual path. Sure, it's not directly related to enlightenment, but you gotta start with getting the basics in place or you will be unable to sustain enlightenment.

Remember, that if you're still young -- like in your 20's -- you've got plenty of time to pace yourself and address many aspects of your life. Just don't take that as license to slack off and watch TV.

Great advice. The one thing I observed is that you got great potential in advising people on life issues related to Goals, time management, task management,  and consciousness, spirituality. Keep up. 

Edited by Loreena

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly