Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Visitor

Let's Get Off This Planet

22 posts in this topic

Nearly every night I step outside to check the weather. If there are any stars to see I usually get transfixed on them for a while. It creates a shift of perspective. In my mind I get off this planet.

Every time I look at a star I get reminded of how far, and long in time, light (photons) has traveled to reach my eye. Lets say the star I am looking at is one million light years away.  The photons I see (or register) have traveled a million years to enter through a 1/4 inch aperture (pupil) of my eye. As I stare at the star there is a stream of photons continuing to enter my eye. If I moved my head a little to one side, I still see the star from another stream of photons. Imagine how much light must be coming from that star to fill the surface of a sphere, with the star at its epicenter, one million light years in radius. 

Astrophysicists thirty years ago calculated there are about 100 billion stars (suns) in our galaxy, and 100 billion galaxies in the universe. This is about all the grains of sand of all the beaches on this planet. Mind-boggling isn't it!

Here is a photo of a small (black) dot in space, according to a human eye, but revealing from a telescope.

Galaxy.jpg

Look at all those galaxies.

Please feel free to get off this planet.  

Explore and share your experiences or views about space and astronomy.

Whenever I can, I spend hours lying on the sand beach observing the stars, galaxies and planets.

Recently, I had an experience that may be interesting to you. After a few hours contemplating the amazing sky, I had strong waves of pure unconditional love for the planet, for my surroundings and consequently it extended to all the beings. I became one with the stars and they all belong to me as I belong to them.

Where I live the clear sky can barely be watched most time of the year. Maybe is time to a big move ?

''Firmness in Love" 

@Dizzy I never used the beach for star gazing before. What a great idea.

I only live a mile from the beach, but at the moment it's getting a bit cold as winter is heading towards its peak.

I also live in the rural areas, so I do not have to travel far from town to get away from the town lights.

Away from city lights on a clear moonless night is the best time for star gazing. 

When I was a lad at school we were taught that the sun was 93 million miles away from us. I was awe struck by that distance. When I got home I said to my mother with great zeal, "Did you know that the sun is 93 MILLION MILES away"! She said as she pointed out the window, "Don't be silly, it's just over there". :o

history-copernicus-astronomy-science-telescope-children-bven594_low.jpg

The laws of relativity apply to everything.

When i look at that first picture, i see beings of energy.

B R E A T H E

23 minutes ago, pluto said:

When i look at that first picture, i see beings of energy.

The universe is definitely alive.

Yeah i always believed we eventually evolve past the physical plains as energy, as planets, as stars, as galaxies ect.. Too me there all living beings of light and infinite energy. Forget the Enlightened humans, I wanna meet collective consciousness of planets and star-systems.

I had a friend who said she could communicate sometimes telepathically with mother gaia herself but lost contact with her years ago i was less into that stuff back then but now i know more.

B R E A T H E

On 6/12/2017 at 4:17 PM, pluto said:

Yeah i always believed we eventually evolve past the physical plains as energy, as planets, as stars, as galaxies ect.. Too me there all living beings of light and infinite energy. Forget the Enlightened humans, I wanna meet collective consciousness of planets and star-systems.

I had a friend who said she could communicate sometimes telepathically with mother gaia herself but lost contact with her years ago i was less into that stuff back then but now i know more.

Are you now meeting collective consciousness of our solar system planets and Milky Way star systems?

a fascinating things about some of these stars is that they may have turned into supernovas million years ago and died out but since it takes millions years for the light to reach us, it will take another milion years for humans to be able to observe what could potentially be happening right now. So  we are looking millions of years back in the history and most of the light we see started its journey before first humans evolved on this planet. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 10/06/2017 at 0:04 AM, Visitor said:

Earth Lights.earth-lights.jpg

This picture would look super interesting from an alien's perspective after seeing tons of planets just bare, then this! We're so used to it but if we didn't know what humans or Earth were, wow! 

On 10/6/2017 at 3:48 AM, Saarah said:

This picture would look super interesting from an alien's perspective after seeing tons of planets just bare, then this! We're so used to it but if we didn't know what humans or Earth were, wow! 

True, for those aliens that perceive our visible spectrum.