Uncover

New To Meditation, Any Advice?

16 posts in this topic

I am new to this concept. I did read a lot about this topic but I never went to actually practice it. I've also heard about the many benefits that this may offer and I really want to stick to it. So, what is the best kind of meditation you advise me to start with? I mention that I've tried to stay cross legged but this is kinda hard. And to stay straight is hard too. I've heard that some meditations are focusing on emptying your  mind, but this is also very difficult to a newbie like me. Well, what is the easiest way to start with meditation? 

Edited by Uncover

@Uncover

I will answer you with an analogy that helped me: 

Try to imagine that you are going to the theater. While people take their places, there's all kinds of noises, voices.. as the start approaches, noise is weaker and weaker. Lights go of, and there's a deep silence. You can only hear breathing sound. Take note of these silence, as it is from it, within it that the performance will take place. It can only arise from silence. Silence is the moist earth in which everything is planted. It has not disappeared as it is the "mother" from which everything sprouts. Be aware of this silence, and let everything that arises in it come and go. 

Position is less important - you'll come to chose one that suits you best. What is important is CONSISTENCY and not falling asleep 

:) 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

The easiest and most comfortable way to learn meditation is to start to learn some breathing techniques first (pranayamas).

Lots of people give up meditation very soon because their mind is just too busy and too shattered, to reach a profound experience. Just with a few breathing exercises it will be much more easier to meditate because it quiets the mind in an easy way.

You can find pranayamas on the internet.

If you find focussing on your breath difficult, you could simply count to 100.

Start counting focussed and experience how easily you get distracted. If you get distracted start over again.

This might help you to see your continious thoughts which are popping up. Often the thoughts grab you and take you away from your focus.

Meditation can help you to keep focussed and let unwanted or uninteresting thoughts fly by. Good luck... and just start!

11 hours ago, Uncover said:

I am new to this concept. I did read a lot about this topic but I never went to actually practice it. I've also heard about the many benefits that this may offer and I really want to stick to it. So, what is the best kind of meditation you advise me to start with? I mention that I've tried to stay cross legged but this is kinda hard. And to stay straight is hard too. I've heard that some meditations are focusing on emptying your  mind, but this is also very difficult to a newbie like me. Well, what is the easiest way to start with meditation? 

https://www.eclecticenergies.com/chakras/open.php

Easiest and most effective for simple active meditation. Leo has stuff in many of his videos also that is "follow along". 

One of my favorites is "do nothing" ! Lol

11 hours ago, Ayla said:

@Uncover

I will answer you with an analogy that helped me: 

Try to imagine that you are going to the theater. While people take their places, there's all kinds of noises, voices.. as the start approaches, noise is weaker and weaker. Lights go of, and there's a deep silence. You can only hear breathing sound. Take note of these silence, as it is from it, within it that the performance will take place. It can only arise from silence. Silence is the moist earth in which everything is planted. It has not disappeared as it is the "mother" from which everything sprouts. Be aware of this silence, and let everything that arises in it come and go. 

Position is less important - you'll come to chose one that suits you best. What is important is CONSISTENCY and not falling asleep 

:) 

Awesome analogy!

"Do nothing" works well for me. Do nothing doesn't mean nothing is happening, since there is always the "functioning". Do nothing means hold your attention (relaxed attention) and keep it that way. Do nothing also means non-interference, i.e., when thoughts arise (and they will), just don't grasp. Once you grasp, you're definitely doing something unhelpful.

Also, don't get lost in thoughts because that means you've lost attention (fallen "asleep") and are getting engrossed in thoughts.

Overall, the main thing is hold continuous relaxed attention (until it becomes effortless, i.e. you're doing nothing at that point). Easier said than done though!

Edited by Spider Jerusalem
changed formatting

I'm also a newbie to meditation. Been meditating since the beginning of January 2016. I'm both doing self-inquiry and do nothing meditation. Pretty satisfied with the results I've been having lately and I'll continue. I know that meditation just keeps getting better and better by doing it permanent. But I have  a question out of sheer curiosity. Are there other meditation techniques which Leo have been talking about that I've missed? Maybe in a time to come I'll explore a bit. Thanks.

On 15 February 2016 at 10:50 AM, Uncover said:

I am new to this concept. I did read a lot about this topic but I never went to actually practice it. I've also heard about the many benefits that this may offer and I really want to stick to it. So, what is the best kind of meditation you advise me to start with?

Whatever kind of meditation appeals to you most. You can try different techniques and stick to the one that suits you. I'd say for example simply paying attention to your breath as it goes in and out is a great technique. Someone likes to have surrounding noise as an object of meditation, someone prefers candle gazing... There is also a kind of meditation that is referred to as "do nothing meditation", but although it sounds easier, in my opinion it's one of the more difficult ones. But who knows, maybe it will suit you perfectly (-:

Leo has some videos on meditation, for example:
http://www.actualized.org/articles/mindfulness-meditation

I'd have some tips for you:

• Be gentle, patient and generous with yourself. If you find you got distracted by thoughts, just gently shift your attention back to your object of meditation and don't blame yourself, that would only get you into a loop: blame -> thoughts -> more blame -> more thoughts...
  • If you get into this loop (and everyone often does) then again be gentle and patient with yourself. Know that even if you manage to maintain attention for just a few seconds, it's still a good meditation. In fact, there is no such thing as a bad meditation.
  • Which leads to another point: Don't judge your sits. There will be ups and downs in your practice. Even if you feel your sit was absolutely useless, you are certainly making some progress.
  • Keep your sits short and regular, build your meditation habit slowly. Ideally you should sit at the same place and time every single day, but don't throw away all your efforts if you missed one or two sits.
  • Set the length of your meditation and increase it little by little, let's say every couple of months. You yourself will feel when it's time to extend it.
  • Itches and discomfort are likely to occur - that's your "monkey mind" resisting stillness, it doesn't like to be that way. In his videos Leo explains monkey mind well.
  • Practically speaking, there is no such thing as a noise-free place on this planet. Instead of trying to find such a place or to get rid of all distractions, integrate them as part of your meditation and experience them as they come and go. You will develop this ability by time.

I mention that I've tried to stay cross legged but this is kinda hard. And to stay straight is hard too. I've heard that some meditations are focusing on emptying your  mind, but this is also very difficult to a newbie like me. Well, what is the easiest way to start with meditation? 

Sit in whatever position suits you, chair is fine too, or a seiza bench (that's what I use). The cross legged (lotus) position looks cool and I believe it's a very stable position, since 3 points touch the ground, but don't think this is the only proper meditation posture. And if you try to develop lotus, do it slowly and patiently by progressively developing flexibility in your hips, or you will hurt your legs. What needs to become flexible is mainly your hips. Good video on this topic:

Edited by Jan Odvarko

Read it all, tried it all, can't remember any of it.

@Nicolai He also talked about basics to advance stuff

as far as I can remember:

lvl1: awareness meditation

lvl2: eliminating thoughts

lvl3: deeper awareness meditation 

search up actualized.org meditation there are several videos about meditation. He also talked about how people do it wrong which I should also review

Sarcaste <3 the Sarcasm in Me acknowledges and honors the Sarcasm in You 

The meditation I have found most useful is walking meditation. Preferebly in the woods or another quiet place. I did this whenever the mind was the most active. It really helped me distancing myself to the thoughts that came up. Focusing on what's real instead.

Back then I didnt think of it as meditation but that's what it was.

I've started meditaion two weeks ago and something really cool happened after a while. It was like I was sinking into something that took away layers of the noises around me. I have no idea what that is, but it feels right and time flies when I am able to focus on that state of mind.

@Uncover you will not be able to calm your mind at first, just being able to slow it down and think less! Every day you will get closer! Hope that makes sense. Watch Leos video on it if you haven't already, he explains it well how the beginning feels.

@Uncover You can blend this with informal meditation or contemplation. Just sit somewhere and relax. You don't even need to keep your back straight. And let things happen, movements included. It sounds unorthodox but it's powerful. And it will help you with formal meditation.

Although this is about returning to meditation this is good advice for beginners as well.  

Jack Kornfield is a really great teacher, search for some of his guided meditations on youtube.

Have you tried Yoga Nidra? I had a great deal of difficulty doing "traditional meditation" until I practiced Yoga Nidra a while. It taught me how to become more aware of my body and had the benefit of making me more aware of my surroundings. By becoming more aware of my body, I was able to locate and relieve tensions. This had the benefit of radically improving my "traditional meditation".

My understanding is that there are two primary differences between Yoga Nidra and traditional mediation:

1. Yoga Nidra is a guided meditation, it does not allow for contemplation.

2. Yoga Nidra is practiced while lying down on a mat with one or two blankets underneath you, so it is easier to fall asleep.

I you want to know more about Yoga Nidra, check out: http://www.swamij.com/yoga-nidra.htm. Also plenty of info if you just Google the term.