5thPablo

Self-improvement In Schools

13 posts in this topic

Is anybody in the world working on making self-improvement work a part of the school system?

I feel bad for all the people that will never know about this stuff.

There are huge bureaucratic and political barriers which will limit that. But still, it will have to move in that direction. It will just take a long time.

We definitely need more reformers in the school system fighting the good fight. It's a dirty job, but a very important one. If you care about it that much, you could make it your life purpose.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@5thPablo hm, I see improving education in some kind as my life purpose atm.

problems with teaching self-improvement in schools:

• the concept self-actualization is not known by most people
  • in my experience most students are lazy, you won't find many students who are interested in this stuff (not many students read, do sports, event think about life)
  • most students are very mainstream-oriented and brainwashed (partying, drinking, "enjoying" their free time, living a comfortable life)
  • without going to deep into conspiracy theories, today's schoolsytem is producing "dumb" factory-workers/consumers for economic reasons, and it's very very difficult to change that

I'm thinking about becoming a teacher and offering extra-classes or something, I don't know yet...

what do you think about these points?

PS:

good authors on education:

john taylor ghatto (weapons off mass instruction), ken robinson (creative schools)...

@Leo Gura I agree. do you have some ideas of how to change the schoolsystem? becoming a teacher, becoming a politician, becoming some "youtube-teacher"...?

I know, what fits to one's strenghts...

@t3h_L3N1M4L

5 minutes ago, t3h_L3N1M4L said:

the concept self-actualization is not known by most people

You can teach it as a good teacher.

5 minutes ago, t3h_L3N1M4L said:

in my experience most students are lazy

It is your job to motivate them as a teacher. If kids in these days can cultivate motivation for math and physics imagine how easier it would be to motivate them to do self development. Also young kids are so malleable you can teach them anything with the appropriate presentation.

13 minutes ago, t3h_L3N1M4L said:

going to deep into conspiracy theories

You dont have to do the dirty work. If you teach self-development well they are going to get this insight themselves. Be smart about how you teach. You can either take down the "modern education" building or build a tall "self devolopment" one.

16 minutes ago, t3h_L3N1M4L said:

I'm thinking about becoming a teacher and offering extra-classes or something, I don't know yet

Extra classes are a good idea but still you need to strategize it perfectly and you may get 20 students per year to get on board. As a teacher you don't have scaling capabilities. You are not even responsible for the stuff you teach as i am aware. You are not going to enjoy that experience.

Think about a scalable way you can teach self-development to many people. Quality goes first though.

@Socrates ok, supposing that I'm a good teacher through enough training and that I develop broad and deep understanding in self-actualization, how should I go about that without having direct contact to students?

giving talks at schools?

writing a blog/book?

creating a youtube channel?

how should I bring 14-18 y old students or their parents to pay me money for teaching them some concepts they can learn from "experts"?...

Yes, I am doing something about it.

My life purpose is to highly reduce or eradicate 1st world government corruption and possibly creating a FUNCTIONAL and PRACTICAL non-fantasy/dream type paradise

( or the closest you can get a paradise with society still being functional)

I need more like minded people for the revolution. Contact me

Note: This will take many decades of work, the results may pay off after only after our deaths. 

@t3h_L3N1M4L That is up to you. You probably need to limit your options to entrepreneurial ones though. Books, blogs, youtube, talks are all wonderful ideas. Just try things out and go all in to the one that goes better than the other. In order to have great results you also need some entrepreneurial knowledge. 

I honestly believe that today's education system isn't sustainable. Because if these fundamental issues are not addressed the whol system will fall apart eventually. What we're having right now is only the beginning of the end, but that's not like the doomsday because those who are supportive of self-improvement in schools will take over and a new era of education will begin.

I might not be able to live long ehough to see that day though, but I have faith.

@Socrates thanks.

yeah, I've been thinking about these entrepreneurial options for a long time now.

I just came to the point that it'll be hard to earn enough money with this in the first 5-10y.

that's why I decided to go to college, become a teacher, and do entrepreneurial side-projects along the way until something clicks. (wasting some time in college, but I don't have the money to learn autodidactic and focus on entrepreneurship)

Recently I was asked by a University to be apart of a panel discussion on 'The Role of Formal Education'. They wanted to hear what actual high school students had to say on the matter. Teachers, Lecturers, Principals and Government officials will be in attendance so this will be an opportunity to raise the point that self actualization should be a major priority in schools.

There are many aspects of self actualization to be taught but I think meditation should be the first thing to implement seeing that its the number one self actualization tool out there.

I'm thinking we should start with 10mins of mindful breathing each morning. Its very simple but can be very effective in enhancing concentration, increasing intuition, developing peacefulness and much more.

Tell me what you think ^_^